Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th October 2020, 16:33   #1
freelancer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Connoisseur SE 2.5V6

Default Two Jacks

I was pondering afresh the vexed question of jacking up the V6 R75 to do oil and filter change. Pros and Cons that occurred to me:

I'm fed up squirming claustrophobically underneath to have under engine cover fall onto my face whilst simultaneously wondering if that car jack is really, really secure whilst reaching for socket etc.

Realise from previous debates that using one trolley jack on front centre member and supporting with jacks on sills is potentially dangerous....

Don't like car ramps

Can't afford and not really the room for a scissor lift unfortunately

Realise that it is not going to happen that entrepreneurs/local garages will allow (non-insured) punters to "borrow" or rent their car hoists for some DIY'ers to do their oil change/rust limitation under-cleaning.

My compromise possible solution is to invest in a 2nd trolley jack so that I can use them to jack-up both sides at the front and then put a car jack on the front central member....What do ya think?
freelancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 16:59   #2
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
I was pondering afresh the vexed question of jacking up the V6 R75 to do oil and filter change. Pros and Cons that occurred to me:

I'm fed up squirming claustrophobically underneath to have under engine cover fall onto my face whilst simultaneously wondering if that car jack is really, really secure whilst reaching for socket etc.

Realise from previous debates that using one trolley jack on front centre member and supporting with jacks on sills is potentially dangerous....

Don't like car ramps

Can't afford and not really the room for a scissor lift unfortunately

Realise that it is not going to happen that entrepreneurs/local garages will allow (non-insured) punters to "borrow" or rent their car hoists for some DIY'ers to do their oil change/rust limitation under-cleaning.

My compromise possible solution is to invest in a 2nd trolley jack so that I can use them to jack-up both sides at the front and then put a car jack on the front central member....What do ya think?
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Invest in two axle stands. Jack it up with whatever then gently lower onto the stands. I have restored many cars this way and never had a fail yet.
Old 29th October 2020, 17:01   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
How about using axle stands on the sill lifting points Ian? If you remove the OSF wheel, access to the sump plug and filter is greatly improved.

Simon
Old 29th October 2020, 17:05   #4
Xavier
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 SE

Firstly I would never trust any trolley jack without axle stands supporting the vehicle. So if your on a budget maybe a good set of axle stands is the best idea. Alternatively try Cjautos Heywood as they produce adjustable ramps. Hope this helps......
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 17:05   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

why not use ramps and drive the front wheels up on to them?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 17:38   #6
freelancer
Avid contributor

Thanks for your advice. Just to be clear I've two car jack/supports and one trolley jack.

Should I be happy to jack up the entire car at the front central member and then rest on two jacks at the front sills (and maybe also remove the O/S front wheel).
Old 29th October 2020, 17:41   #7
freelancer
Avid contributor

Realise (belatedly) that I am trying to say I have one trolley jack and two axle stands.
Old 29th October 2020, 19:23   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Should I be happy to jack up the entire car at the front central member and then rest on two jacks at the front sills (and maybe also remove the O/S front wheel).
Yes! That will be perfectly safe and the angle achieved will assist in draining the sump.

Simon
Old 29th October 2020, 19:59   #9
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. Just to be clear I've two car jack/supports and one trolley jack.

Not sure you should drop it onto sills for the axle stands. May not be a good idea.
Trolley jack under the centre then find something structural to rest on .
I don't have my custom made axle stands any more or you could have borrowed them.
They consisted of 4 old steel rims, industrial pipe upstands with holes drilled in them and a bit of 2x2 angle iron on the top. Made them myself.
Worked very well to restore floor pans and A pillars etc.

Cars worked on :-
1959 Wolslesy 1590
Triumph Herald
Mk 2 Jag ( that was fun. Open the doors the whole car sagged !!!. Sills did not exist! )
Triumph Spitfire
Holden HR Kingswood. ( complete new floor )
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T. (My own baby. others where for other people)

Never had an issue even lifting the whole car 2 foot off the ground. Takes time but patience is a virtue.
Old 29th October 2020, 20:14   #10
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I recently changed the oil on my car. I chocked the rear wheels and jacked up one sill at a time using a trolley jack with a rubber pad. I had two axle stands and put one on each side under the subframe. There were parts of the subframe visible and usable (at the back) while the undertray was still on.

Give the car a good shake from both sides and check it feels secure before putting any part of you under it.

I was barely under the car at all. I found that most of the undertray fasteners were reachable without going fully under there but I guess it maybe depends how comfortable one is rolling around on the floor and how long one's arms are . I'll also confess I have several undertray fasteners missing so less hassle.
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote