Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th February 2021, 12:50   #1
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Default PO113 Fault Code

Hi Guys, I have an MGZT-T 2.0L Diesel from new (05). Recently reported jerking which I resolved by cleaning the MAF sensor, I did install a replacement part at first but was useless so got a full refund from the supplier. I installed new air filter and cleaned everything around the MAF intake and air filter compartment. It ran as sweet as a nut after that with no hesitancy for the last few months.

Got in the old girl today and she started jolting again.
Plugged in the diagnostic tool and got P0113 - IAT Sensor Circuit High Input.

Before I start pulling her apart, anyone have a clear roadmap for fault diagnosis and remedy from here?

Regards Larry
larryr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 13:27   #2
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hello larry
did you use the T4 Testbook or another diagnostic tool and did you clear the fault code
david
david2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 15:40   #3
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Hi David, I just used a generic tester, and it came up with the fault. I cleared the fault. I took the MAF out again and cleaned it again with electrical contact cleaner. Reassembled and just to the car for a short run, there was some hesitancy but I assumed as the electrical contact cleaner needed time to dry out. Improved after a short blast.
I re checked for the fault code and it hasn't reappeared but I'm not sure its fully cured and perhaps something is happening that doesn't necessarily trigger a fault code.
Need to try it again from cold to see how it responds.

Regards Larry
Old 9th February 2021, 18:10   #4
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hello larry
try and find out if there is someone near you with a T4 Testbook with the testbook it will list the faults and you will be able to explore the fault in detail plus with the T4 you can select overview real time to see what is happening with the engine
david

Last edited by david2000; 9th February 2021 at 19:03..
Old 9th February 2021, 18:39   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

The IAT sensor is integral to the MAF and the fault you describe will be generated when the MAF is unplugged.

As an aside attempting to the clean the MAF is a waste of time, as contaminants deposited on the platinum hot wire cannot be removed as they etch the surface while the metal is hot.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2021, 16:26   #6
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quick update, the car is driving a little better but there is still some intermittent hesitancy, power drops on acceleration.
I tried it for a 20 mile run to make sure it was well warmed up.
On return I plugged in the OBD-II tester and to read static faults, but nothing came back, so I'm wondering if the PO113 fault was an old one and nothing to do with this recent incidence.
After I'd cleared the fault and test run the car twice now, the fault has not reappeared on the reader.

Could this be something as simple as a blockage in the fuel filter next to fuel pump lifter under the bonnet? And is it normal that if you had an intermittent fuel feed blockage, it wouldn't register a fault code?

Regards Larry
Old 10th February 2021, 17:46   #7
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hello larry
what is the mileage and when did you service the engine last also i will say again try and find someone with a T4 in your area on the T4 there is a real time overview option and you can see what the engine is doing such as fuel pressure water temp revs voltage this may give you a glue what is wrong
david
Old 10th February 2021, 19:31   #8
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Hi David, 165K miles, Changed oil in December, and air filter, oil filter, cleaned MAF and air chambers around the air filter.
I don't know anyone who has a T4 since Phil decided to go into full time employment.
I'll be changing the fuel filter tomorrow, as it is long overdue.

Regards Larry
Old 10th February 2021, 20:52   #9
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hello larry
since the car has done 165.000 i would have a look at the egr take the pipe off and see if it is covered in oil if so the air intake manifold needs to come off and cleaned and the egr plus the intercooler would need to be taken off and cleaned
david
Old 11th February 2021, 08:33   #10
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Hi David, It's a good point, it definitely won't harm to clean/replace the EGR valve and I think I'll do this anyhow.
The car failed the MOT on the previous two showings due to emissions, which could point to an EGR problem, however there isn't a fault code being shown for this.
I guess a faulty or clogged EGR valve might show a P0400 code, but this has never appeared during the two times it failed. To get it through the test I applied a bottle of Clean Drive on a 1/3rd tank of fuel and in each occasion it made a massive difference with a transition from a widely failing emissions test to an very easily passing one.

Regards Larry