Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th May 2021, 07:31   #51
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
All's well that ends well.---I can imagine your sense of relief now this saga is over.---Well done for the persistence.---
Thanks, oh yes, the relief is palpable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Good to get a result with the starting problem. You mentioned cutting out earlier - did you find the reason for that or did it clear up by itself?
It's a good question. I suspect that ultimately it was a combination of things that were wrong with the car. I don't think that the cutting out was solely down to the cam sensor because it stopped doing that after I changed the injectors - although was still slow to start, it ran OK with just the occasional momentary bit of hesitation at low revs in 4th/5th.

I had the old injectors tested and apparently two of them were knackered, so my supposition is that the cam sensor was causing fuelling issues and the knackered injectors were compounding that to cause the stalling.

It's not all sunshine and roses however as Jamie did point out that the car needs a new thermostat :-( I did notice it was not getting warm (gauge well below halfway) on the way up there, and I was planning to replace the coolant as it is murky brown so it is not the end of the world!
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2021, 08:40   #52
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes the knackered injectors are probably the reason for the stalling. The ECM only references the cam sensor at start up and then ignores it until the next start up.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2021, 13:45   #53
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphStag View Post
Thanks, oh yes, the relief is palpable!

It's a good question. I suspect that ultimately it was a combination of things that were wrong with the car. I don't think that the cutting out was solely down to the cam sensor because it stopped doing that after I changed the injectors - although was still slow to start, it ran OK with just the occasional momentary bit of hesitation at low revs in 4th/5th.

I had the old injectors tested and apparently two of them were knackered, so my supposition is that the cam sensor was causing fuelling issues and the knackered injectors were compounding that to cause the stalling.

It's not all sunshine and roses however as Jamie did point out that the car needs a new thermostat :-( I did notice it was not getting warm (gauge well below halfway) on the way up there, and I was planning to replace the coolant as it is murky brown so it is not the end of the world!
The in line top hose stat is the way to go on that.--The standard stat is a pain in the butt to get at and change.---A very simple operation and lots of info on how to do it in the forum---How-To's
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2021, 21:26   #54
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Could possibly be the high pressure solenoid on the back of the injector (high pressure) pump. The symptoms are identical to mine a few years back. I tried unsuccessfully to just change the O rings but ended up changing the solenoid. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pump...xoC9akQAvD_BwE
With a bit of fiddling it is easily changed, I seem to remember I used a tiny ratchet and long torque bits. I can't remember the size.

Last edited by polinsteve; 29th August 2021 at 21:30..
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2021, 21:43   #55
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hi TriumphStag
i had the same as you and i tried everything and by accident i touched the connector going to the fuel pressure sensor on the common rail there was a bad connection inside the connector so try this unplug this and try to start the car or start the car then unplug
david
david2000 is offline   Reply With Quote