Notices

Old 22nd June 2022, 14:52   #111
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
You are incorrect as they are not self governing except in certain areas. They have no responsibiity for foreign policy (and also defence though that is irrevelant to the discussion) which is why UK government deals with the EU.
Yes, I agree. However, membership of the EU and the opportunity to have a vote in that forum is something of a diminished asset compared to their present influence. Such things as a proportion of the vote in H of C?

EU: Numbers of possible opponents? Inbuilt cabals? A propensity of 'yes/no men'? No comparison of the democratic principle?
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:19   #112
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Posters to this and other threads are remind of Rule 15 and the golden rule; there are hundreds of places across the web to read and post about politics. Not here.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2022, 18:17   #113
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Posters to this and other threads are remind of Rule 15 and the golden rule; there are hundreds of places across the web to read and post about politics. Not here.

But then what would he and his supporter do with their time? I hope you are not expecting some interest in cars!

Last edited by MSS; 23rd June 2022 at 18:28..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2022, 13:33   #114
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Its accuracy is debateable. That’s the whole point of these boards! I wasn’t referring to you, or anybody else on here personally, it’s just another view! I don’t necessarily think Scotland should not join the EU! I’m saying that is the apparent intention within the S. Nats party and comparing that apparent aim with their current favoured membership of the present arrangements. But, as a truly independent country I think they could sink into the North Atlantic.

I’m not lecturing anybody old chap, just expressing my view in polite terms, I hope! You seem to be taking my comments as a personal insult! Steady on! Take a step back!

No, I don’t think ‘lecturing’ others on what is ‘right’ or ‘proper’ is good. Do you? I don't see opposing comment as a personal insult either, just another comment. The only 'lecturing' is done by experts. Are you one of those? Ease up! It’s discussion, not assertion!
Based on the above, it appears to be you who needs to 'ease up' - so far, you have dismissed one of my posts as an anti Brexit rant (which it wasn't) and asserted that any comparison between the Brexit referendum and a Scottish independence referendum is neither relevant nor helpful (which it is). And how do you (and why would you) debate a fact? Unless you can demonstrate otherwise, your point about 'limiting the vote to a tiny minority party' (post #99) is simply untrue. Whatever the merits or otherwise of this thread (and I note Pete's point about politics, although it's hard to avoid it completely), what is the point of inventing 'evidence' to support your argument?
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2022, 16:30   #115
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

If I may make just a quick reply, I hate strategic dissection to stretch emphasis leading to false representation. Perhaps one more attempt at reasonableness might be helpful!

I did not dismiss anything – merely disagreed, which might be expected surely. I also gave explanation rather than more assertion, I regret you choose not to accept that yet do not hesitate to make your own assertions anyway. I have absolutely no problems with others disagreeing with me, I welcome that because it usually tends to expand rather than just plain argue with little avail.
Old 25th June 2022, 16:22   #116
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Part of the problem, as with many arguments, is an inability to imagine what it would be like if roles were reversed.
We English may be a "freedom loving people" but we have ruled over the Scots, Welsh & Irish for years and, whilst they all voted to stay in the EU we took them out.
In this situation, being rude about them and their leaders probably isnt helping.
It would be great if a way could be found to get ourselves out of this mess together but as things stand I can see at least 2 of the 3 departing in the new few years.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 16:40   #117
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Part of the problem, as with many arguments, is an inability to imagine what it would be like if roles were reversed.
We English may be a "freedom loving people" but we have ruled over the Scots, Welsh & Irish for years and, whilst they all voted to stay in the EU we took them out.
In this situation, being rude about them and their leaders probably isnt helping.
It would be great if a way could be found to get ourselves out of this mess together but as things stand I can see at least 2 of the 3 departing in the new few years.
This is probably the best, most pertinent post on the thread.

Very well said sir
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 19:04   #118
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

2 of the 3 leaving? Think there are 4 in this relationship, for the most part the English quarter are not considered to be asked what they would like.

This whole subject is considered by some to be a constitutional matter, so surely should be looked at from the perspective of all 4 nations.

Last edited by Borg Warner; 25th June 2022 at 19:25..
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 20:22   #119
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Only one thing to say about this, fandabidozi 😁

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 20:27   #120
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post

I thought in 2014 the Scots voted to remain part of the UK. If the next vote was Brexit, that comes with staying as part of the UK. The majority won in both cases. Not only did Scotland leave the EU, so did anyone in the UK that wanted to remain.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote