Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th June 2011, 17:52   #1
theoldcodger
the Old Codger

Rover 75 Saloon

Unhappy Rover 75 Key problems

I bought a spare key for the 75 as I only had one bought with it. I have tried to get it programmed using a mechanic with the T4 computer. The ECU will only allow the key to unlock on the remote but not disengage the immobiliser. Does anyone know the answer, Please?
Yes, the key does have a chip in it.
theoldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 18:20   #2
tsautos
Loves to post

MG EXPRESS

I take it you bought a key off e/bay and not through the proper procedure
tsautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 19:43   #3
baughurst
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T, MGB, OH's MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldcodger View Post
I bought a spare key for the 75 as I only had one bought with it. I have tried to get it programmed using a mechanic with the T4 computer. The ECU will only allow the key to unlock on the remote but not disengage the immobiliser. Does anyone know the answer, Please?

It needs a chip that matches your car not just any old chip.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:20   #4
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

T4 will only program the alarm and remote locking on the vehicle.
The immobiliser is a separate system, and has 10 key codes programmed into it in the BMW factory. To get a new key that passes one of the 10 codes that the immbolizer 'knows', you need to get one through XPart or some other ex Rover dealer. They order the key from BMW. £180 or so. And BMW go to their supplier who looks up the vehicle in the database and creates a new key with transponder that is programmed to one of the 10 codes.
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 23:20   #5
pianoman58
Regular poster

mg zt

Our local Auto-electricians is run by "Immoman" off the other side (.org )forum. He can produce you a new transponder for your spare key no problem. You are not too far away from him, he is in Leigh near Wigan.
Give him a ring on 01942 261600 ask for Steve. You'll find him very helpfull and he knows Rover 75/Zt electrics inside out
pianoman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 23:21   #6
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

moved to technical help forum
Old 20th June 2011, 17:07   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldcodger View Post
The remote locking/unlocking is a completely separate function to the immobiliser system. The key's plastic part contains a chip, which responds to being interrogated by a system located around the ignition barrel. If the chip does not respond with the correct code as the ignition is turned on, then it will not allow the engine to be started.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:29   #8
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

the chips data is normally read copied then installed to a new blank chip... so in affect it is cloned ... done this way the car thinks its the original key .... our teacher has started doing keys and last week we saw him doing a key,the car started as it should
Old 21st June 2013, 23:05   #9
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon cdt club SE 1999

I had a chip cloned at my local locksmith. The chip didn't work. Apparently there is a 7 digit code, for which the last 4 digits are read on most cars. Their machine will only read / write 4 digits whereas the BMW system uses all 7. Not all locksmiths have the ability to clone the chips correctly, as specific software / modules are required for some makes with a big additional cost.

I bought the transponder chip anyhow and am searching for someone that can clone it properly....

Then I will be able to get the donor remote programmed via a T4...
Trevor1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 23:10   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice man View Post
I had a chip cloned at my local locksmith. The chip didn't work. Apparently there is a 7 digit code, for which the last 4 digits are read on most cars. Their machine will only read / write 4 digits whereas the BMW system uses all 7. Not all locksmiths have the ability to clone the chips correctly, as specific software / modules are required for some makes with a big additional cost.

I bought the transponder chip anyhow and am searching for someone that can clone it properly....

Then I will be able to get the donor remote programmed via a T4...
Forget it, cloned transponders are no good.
The fixed part of the coding is one thing however every time the key is removed and inserted a variable code changes, this is why clone transponders "fall out of sync" and fail in a short space of time.
If you want a transponder, I'll need your EWS 3 immobiliser to make a proper transponder, ie a one which works and will continue to work

Brian

P.S. as your car would be out of commission for a couple of days, why not send me your BCU and DDE4, and I can code you a remote too, and give your car a bit of extra "poke".

Special rates apply

Last edited by marinabrian; 21st June 2013 at 23:12..
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote