Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th September 2011, 22:24   #1
gregbuchanan10

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club

Default 2.0 V6 2002 not starting

Rover 75 2.0 V6 petrol 2002 model.

I am having trouble getting my car started. It was running fine until last week when the engine cut out whilst it was idling. It went into a garage to get checked and the guy said something about the fuel pump having a problem and it was running fine. I have done 250 miles since I got it sorted and once again it has died on me. I am really trying to avoid spending a lot of money on it. I have had a look at the fuel filter as I am aware they have a problem but it is one of the old fuel filters that doesn't require the orange clip.

When trying to start, the engine turns over but isn't firing, but when I remove several fuses and put them back I manage to get it to run for about 4 seconds but it splutters (once started) and dies down in revs until it cuts out. Then when trying to restart it won't and again just turns over without firing.

Any help really would be much appreciated as I am in dire need of this car really soon to get me up and down the country. Apologies for the long post but I really need to get it sorted without throwing money at it.

Thanks

Gregbuchanan10
gregbuchanan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 09:05   #2
psicobra
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbuchanan10 View Post
Rover 75 2.0 V6 petrol 2002 model.

I am having trouble getting my car started. It was running fine until last week when the engine cut out whilst it was idling. It went into a garage to get checked and the guy said something about the fuel pump having a problem and it was running fine. I have done 250 miles since I got it sorted and once again it has died on me. I am really trying to avoid spending a lot of money on it. I have had a look at the fuel filter as I am aware they have a problem but it is one of the old fuel filters that doesn't require the orange clip.

When trying to start, the engine turns over but isn't firing, but when I remove several fuses and put them back I manage to get it to run for about 4 seconds but it splutters (once started) and dies down in revs until it cuts out. Then when trying to restart it won't and again just turns over without firing.

Any help really would be much appreciated as I am in dire need of this car really soon to get me up and down the country. Apologies for the long post but I really need to get it sorted without throwing money at it.

Thanks

Gregbuchanan10
i'm no expert but cam sensor possibly?

long list of work done so long cant fit in signature so here is the link
psicobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 12:29   #3
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

can you hear the fuel pump working when you turn key ? if not your getting no fuel so it wont start ...if you got a code reader now it the ideal time to retrieve a code from the car .also check the fuse`s and relay for the pumps

Last edited by chrissyboy; 14th September 2011 at 12:31..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 12:48   #4
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Also if you are under a 1/4 tank it can have fuel starvation problem due to the type of tank (saddle type), and failure of one of the transfer pumps in the tank.

Conking out whilst the engine is running won't be the cam sensor, this only causes the car not to start.

Cheers, Bill.
Old 14th September 2011, 13:24   #5
IanDCW
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE Saloon 2.0 V6 2002

I have same car model and year exactly, same problem seven months ago. Solved it with new pump and filter, goes great now....but sadly cost me £500 !
IanDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 22:59   #6
gregbuchanan10

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club

Your help is much appreciated guys. Unfortunately when I do turn the key the fuel pump does prime. My guess is fuel not actually getting to the filter but I didn't want to risk getting petrol everywhere by disconnecting the filter and turning the engine over just in case. I have now had the car towed away and hopefully will get an answer tomorrow with what needs doing to the car. It really is very frustrating as I'm limited in what I can do myself having just had an operation on my wrist. The camshaft sensor if gone will let the car start cold but not hot am I right in thinking?
Old 14th September 2011, 23:03   #7
gregbuchanan10

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
Also if you are under a 1/4 tank it can have fuel starvation problem due to the type of tank (saddle type), and failure of one of the transfer pumps in the tank.

Conking out whilst the engine is running won't be the cam sensor, this only causes the car not to start.

Cheers, Bill.

Also the car is half full so no problem from that side of things. I am awaiting the mechanics quote in the morning so fingers crossed it isn't as damaging to my wallet as I fear.
Old 14th September 2011, 23:34   #8
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Have you considered that the fuel filter (in the passenger side of the fuel tank) may be coming unscewed ?? Simple fix is to screw it together and fit a clip (known as the 'orange clip' because of its colour) which anchors the two parts of the filter together. Takes about 45 minutes to access and fix and the clip cost IFIRC about £7 from any X Part dealer.

The effect of the filter working loose is much as you describe. Low fuel pressure (which is sometimes mistakenly and expensively diagnosed as fuel pump failure), Bad running followed by reluctance to start followed by total non start although engine does turn over on starter.

If you search the forum for 'fuel filter' or 'orange clip' loads of info should show up since it is a very common problem.

The original type of fuel filter was a one piece bit of kit which could not unscew. The design was changed to the two piece variety sometime in 2002 so without knowing the manufacture date of you caR I cant say for certain which filter is fitted to your car - but it is worth a check for 45 minutes of your time and cost of £7 clip if needed.

HTH
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 23:43   #9
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

For a how to access and fix filter follow this link:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

Its PDF file in left colum one up from bottom - ' Petrol fuel system failure'
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 00:06   #10
gregbuchanan10

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3807 View Post
Have you considered that the fuel filter (in the passenger side of the fuel tank) may be coming unscewed ?? Simple fix is to screw it together and fit a clip (known as the 'orange clip' because of its colour) which anchors the two parts of the filter together. Takes about 45 minutes to access and fix and the clip cost IFIRC about £7 from any X Part dealer.

The effect of the filter working loose is much as you describe. Low fuel pressure (which is sometimes mistakenly and expensively diagnosed as fuel pump failure), Bad running followed by reluctance to start followed by total non start although engine does turn over on starter.

If you search the forum for 'fuel filter' or 'orange clip' loads of info should show up since it is a very common problem.

The original type of fuel filter was a one piece bit of kit which could not unscew. The design was changed to the two piece variety sometime in 2002 so without knowing the manufacture date of you caR I cant say for certain which filter is fitted to your car - but it is worth a check for 45 minutes of your time and cost of £7 clip if needed.

HTH
I managed to spend half an hour getting into the tank to check the fuel filter which was my number 1 thought but just as luck goes it is the old style unibody filter not the one requiring the "orange clip". Back to the drawing board I guess.