Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th April 2012, 09:47   #31
wutang
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 auto (LPG) & mg tf 160

i would replace the crank sensor, if faulty the engine will turn over but as the ecu cant work out where in the cycle it is it wont allow any fuel flow. (into the cylinders should still be pressure at the rail.)

as pictured above there is a little valve near the throttle body, looks like a tyre valve, push in the middle pin with ignition on and fuel should come out.

Richard
wutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 09:51   #32
Imm75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Apologies, my info on the temp sensor was for a V6, I just saw you have a diesel.
Imm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 09:54   #33
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imm75 View Post
I read somewhere that if the temp sensor reads wrong, the ecu goes into predetermined mode but if grounding to earth then will prevent the car from starting.
MG Rover says that the engine management substitiutes a default value reflecting a "part warm" condition to enable the engine to run. The cooling fan will run at fast speed when the ignition is switched on. It also says that the temperature gauge will display 'cold' and the temperature warning light will illuminate.

Stop Press: MG Rover also says that the V6 will not start if the "sensor earth is short circuit to 12 or 5 volts". That's a bit gobbledegook but seems to confirm what Imm75 remembered.

Simon.

Last edited by SD1too; 15th April 2012 at 10:10..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 09:55   #34
SD1too

Quote:
Apologies, my info on the temp sensor was for a V6, I just saw you have a diesel.
No, it's very confusing. He has a diesel, but he's just bought a V6 as well but not put it in his profile. I fell for that one too! Grrrr.

Simon.
Old 15th April 2012, 10:14   #35
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

This is the last time I'm going to say this, and I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be worth just putting in some more petrol to read just over 1/4 tank??? Whether you use it now or later, you will use it anyway........

If I'm wrong, I apologise. But if it was me, (which I know it isn't) it would be one of the first things I would do as it would elliminate that idea.
Old 15th April 2012, 12:31   #36
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
To make this clear (and I apologize for not doing it before!), my car is a 2004 MG ZT CDTi. However, I've also bought a 2000 Rover 75 2.5 V6 to break, which I bought as a non-runner due to this fault. It would be nice to be able to get the car running to move it around the garden, and to be able to sell the engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
No, it's very confusing. He has a diesel, but he's just bought a V6 as well but not put it in his profile. I fell for that one too! Grrrr.

Simon.
Sorry, I know this is annoying!

I don't really class the 75 as "mine" as soon it'll be broken, crushed and cubed and on it's way to the scrapyard in the sky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
If test 7.0 displays 128, that means the coolant temperature is 12.8 degrees.

Simon.
I don't think so - my diesel will show 076, meaning 76 degrees... the ambient sensor is accurate to xx.0 or xx.5, but the coolant temp is to the nearest degree.

Either that or the hottest I've ever got my diesel was 9.8 degrees!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
This is the last time I'm going to say this, and I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be worth just putting in some more petrol to read just over 1/4 tank??? Whether you use it now or later, you will use it anyway........
Because I'm breaking the car, any fuel I put in is effectively "wasted" - plus, nobody in my house owns a petrol car (all diesel) so we have ~5L of petrol, but it's for the lawnmower... and getting more petrol involves driving 7 miles to the nearest town!

But it's one thing I may have to try soon...
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 13:21   #37
wutang
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 auto (LPG) & mg tf 160

on my v6 i have run it for 35 miles with the range computer saying 0 miles and got over 64 litres in it at fill up so the v6 will run with fumes in the tank.
wutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 15:25   #38
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post

If I'm wrong, I apologise. But if it was me, (which I know it isn't) it would be one of the first things I would do as it would elliminate that idea.

Agree with all that. Worth a try even if it just eliminates one possibility
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 16:27   #39
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

i agree basic diagnosticsd is to see if you have fuel ,spark ,compression,if all are present the car will start . dont forget the fuel gauge can give false readings ,so it might not any fuel at al in the tank .i would put some fuel in just to rule a fuel issue out .them using an inline spark plug check for spark at plugs ,lso when turning engine over does it sound ike it has loads of compression. it may also be the belt has broken so engine not being turned over . have a look a the pulleys when someone turns the key to see if they turn ..can also e that the belt has slipped a tooth or two so timing is out so no fuel being supplied

Last edited by chrissyboy; 15th April 2012 at 16:45..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 16:40   #40
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
I don't think so - my diesel will show 076, meaning 76 degrees... the ambient sensor is accurate to xx.0 or xx.5, but the coolant temp is to the nearest degree.
I've just tried it in my car and you're right. An error seems to have crept into the information I copied from this forum a while ago.

Simon.