Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th August 2022, 17:10   #591
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool 13 years ago today………………..

TITLE SHOULD READ 9 YEARS AGO

…………………………… I decided to live in Saltash, one day.

I had travelled down from London in Banana to stay with Ian & Jan over on the Isle of Portland. Stayed for a couple of days before we convoyed down to stay with Allen & Val in Saltash. It was a spirited drive with Banana keeping up with Redfive. As we approached the bridge over the Tamar I thought that town looks good. We drove across the bridge and into Saltash.

As Ian was leading he took the left turning and we drove up what I took to be the High Street, in fact it’s called Fore Street. And I thought to myself I would like to live here one day.
We parked up by Ratty and went into the house. Neither of us had ever been to Allen & Val’s house. But Allen was waiting for us by the door, Ian had phoned ahead to say we was on the bridge. And Val had the kettle on.

We ate out that night in a pub called the Swingletree in the village of Kelly Bray. The more I travelled in and around the area the more I thought about moving here, one day. We had a day out on Saturday, I cannot remember where we went but I know that the moving thought was getting stronger.
Val cooked in the evening.

Sunday we convoyed to the car show at Mount Edgecumbe. There was a total 11 cars on our stand and I got to meet more forum members, who were to become firm friends. By now I had also fallen in love with Redfive, and I thought if Ian ever sells the car then it’s mine. I ended up buying it twice off of Ian. And the last show that Redfive attended whilst in my ownership was at Mount Edgecumbe but with the new owner taking her home. That was in 2019 and the new owners are Rick and Deanna Bhullar.

It took time for me to move. A couple of false starts. But then as you know I bit the bullet, and here I am. And have made even more friends. Lost a few over the years, the most recent is Peter Harrison. Still onward and upward as they say.

So this Sunday we are back at Mount Edgecumbe with the usual crowd. Ratty has gone to be made into baked bean tins. Allen will be taking Leafy his ZTT. Banana will be there again. Redfive lives in Norfolk or will do by the end of the month. Ian now drives a Kia.

So if you are going on Sunday come and say hello.

Thanks for reading, catch up soon.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 4th August 2022 at 19:56.. Reason: Wrong title
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:58   #592
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Going back............................

.................................. next month. I will be staying with Michael. My great niece Laura has had a baby boy so going back to meet my great nephew, Damian Francis Wilding Coulson. And I will also be spending a day with my god daughter Kirra.

Kirra, Domonic, Mike and Shelley spent a week in a self catering cottage at Woodside Stables in Carkeel. They came round to see me on the Monday. After showing them around the house we then convoyed up to Louis tea rooms at Kit Hill for lunch. Mike drives a Skoda Octavia diesel, I was in Banana. It rained all the way there and home again. After lunch they came back to my place as Mike and Domonic wanted to see the model car collection again.

I had promised that I would take the Lamborghini's display case apart so that I could show all the opening bits on the model. Shelley made the tea, Kirra was drinking water like it was going out of fashion. She would rather have a glass of water rather than a glass of pop. She plays football for her school team and she explained to me how important it is to keep hydrated, and she is only 8.

After tea they suggested that if I wanted to I could spend Thursday with them as they wanted to go to the beach at East Looe. Oh! Yes! Was my reply. I gave the kids £20 each, a bit extra spending money. And with that off they went back to there cottage.
On Tuesday they were going to Charlestown and onto St.Austel. Wednesday they were going into Plymouth to the sea life centre. They crammed loads of things to do in that one week.

So on Thursday I drove round to the cottage. The cottages were once stables, but the owners had lost there licence to stable horses there. So they spent a fortune and had them converted into the stunning cottages. Very nice but not cheap. All the cottages have hot tubs. There is about 35 acres of woodland to walk through. And if you have one you can take your dog. Kirra's family had left there dog, Peppa a Basset Hound, with a friend for the week.

So we convoyed to the huge car park at East Looe, holds over 1200 cars and it was filling up fast when we arrived, but we found two spaces and parked up together. Banana got spotted by another forum member, Wolfie. It's on the "Was it you" page.
Off we went to the beach, Kirra had her bucket and spade. The town was heaving and the beach was packed. Kirra set about building her sand castles. Mike and Domonic went for a stroll over to the rock pools whilst Shelley and I chatted.

Once Kirra got bored, and the boys were back we trooped into town to get some lunch. Shelley, Mike and I had filled baguettes and the kids had ice cream waffles with maple syrup. Once we had had our fill Domonic wanted to buy some rock to take home. Kirra had spent the £20 I had given her at the sea life centre.
Then it was back to the cottage for coffee. Kirra put her swim suit on and got in the hot tub. She only got out to see me off.

Having sold the Bear I still had plans to buy a small car. Saw a Citroen DS3 For Sale at the huge car sales site at Marsh Mills. So just on 3 weeks ago I motored over there to have a look round and fell in love with a Black Ford Fiesta Titanium. On a 20 plate with 18,000 miles on the clock. The salesman asked if I was trading the ZT in. He was quite shocked by my answer. I said " If you offered me £50,000 for the car I would still turn you down". He was very impressed by Banana, and I shocked him again when he asked how many miles she had done.

I had a test drive on my own. All I had to supply was my driving licence and give him my national insurance no. I only drove round the retail park but I was very happy with "Baby Black Banana". Back to the office to complete the initial paperwork. They take no deposit, you just pay in full when you collect.
Once home I phoned Allen and told him what I had bought. He then said he would give me lift over on the Thursday to collect the car, 2 weeks ago today.

I was so excited to be buying another car, I could not wait till Thursday to come. I shopped around to get insurance, finally got a reasonable deal. Hope to get a multi car deal next year with Banana on the same policy

So Thursday was here, and I waited for Allen to come round. He arrived in Val's Citroen. And off we went. Into the office where we was greeted by the manager who made us a hot drink each. Then it was time to get the car taxed and to pay for the car. Out to the car where the salesman explained a few more things, like there is no petrol cap behind the flap. No spare wheel, just a compressor and a can of sticky stuff for punctures.

And 400 miles later I'm still learning about the little car. Only has 3 cylinders, 998cc, has a turbo and punches out 125bhp. 6 speed box. Loads of toys, most I'll never use. Although I have mastered the sat nav and paired my phone in.

Elizabeth is on the long road to recovery. The hospital changed all her medications and it has made a big difference. No more short of breath, no more wheezing. She is beginning to enjoy living in Portugal.
Roger is living in Jamaica with his family.

It was a shock about our beloved Queen. All over in a flash. Hope King Charles can live up to her reputation.

And last Sunday I drove Banana up to the breakfast meet at Frimley. Seemed strange with Peter not being there. Bur Fred seems to be coping OK.

Thanks for reading. Catch up soon.

onen hag oll
Old 22nd September 2022, 13:40   #593
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

When you were getting to the collection of the car I kept waiting for a horrible line to tell us it was no longer available: enjoy the fresh car. It was great to see you last Sunday Bob.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2022, 18:44   #594
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Trip to London has been……………

…………………………… cancelled. On the 25th I have my diabetes eyes check up, next day I have a hospital appointment and the day after that the Baby Black Banana is having front and rear cameras fitted. And there is no way I’m driving up to London on a Friday.

The wee Fiesta has been hit. No idea who who or where it happened. It was a blue vehicle. Managed to polish the paint off but the gouges will have to wait. Luckily the bumper is plastic.

So far this year I have attended 37 car shows, with at least another 3 on the cards.
Cracking meet last weekend with 25 MG’s lining up under the nose of the Shackleton bomber at the Cornish Aviation Museum.

Catch up soon.

onen hag oll
Old 2nd December 2022, 18:40   #595
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Had a funny turn the other day.

I do bank online but occasionally I like to pop into the bank to count my money. All the banks barring one have closed in Saltash. So I have a choice of either going by bus into Plymouth or taking the car and going into Tavistock. Tavy always wins. Parking is cheap in Tavy, 4 hours for £2. Plus Tavy has a nice pasty shop so lunch is catered for as well.

I drove BBB the pretty route via Callington then onto Gunnislake and finally into Tavy.
Parked up, got my ticket and off I toddled to the bank. Into the bank and there was hardly anyone in there, result. Up to the counter, put my request in and the assistant told me to put my card in the machine and type in my PIN number. I could not for the life of me remember my number, only had the same number for about 20 years. I took the card out and went and sat on the sofa.

I wanted to have a look in my wallet to see if I had written the number down. Panic set it. Then I was aware that someone was sitting next to me, and a sweet voice was asking me if I was ok. It was the bank assistant, she was holding my arm and asking me if I was ok. Next thing there is a chap also asking me if I was ok. He handed me a cup of water and told me to sip the water and to sit back and to relax.

Apparently I had gone a white colour and wasn’t looking very well. I said I was ok and thanked them for there concern. I explained that I had forgotten my PIN number and it had sent me into a panic mode. Not a problem said the young lady, just sit there and relax. And when you feel better come up to the counter and we can sort it all out for you.
I felt very embarrassed to have let this happen to me. But once I had calmed down up to the counter I went. All they needs was my bank card and my driving licence and my request could be sorted out. I apologised for what had happened.
She said it is a common problem that is why they are gradually switching over to either using thumb print or eye print technology.

So back to the car via the pasty shop for steak one. I sat in the car and ate the steaming hot pasty. Once consumed I was off home but going back via Dartmoor. The drive back across the moors calmed me and then I remembered my PIN number. I parked BBB up at one of my favourite spots and took some photo’s of the views. Then drove home, feeling a right plonker.

The Flying Banana has had her headlining and pillar covers replaced in black brushed nylon. Looks really smart. All done by a local chap. Less than a 15 minute walk from my house to his. Dropped her off at 09.00 on the Monday and she was ready to be collected at 16.00 on the Tuesday afternoon. I had agreed the price, was expensive but she is worth it.

It’s at this time of year that I really want to be in London so that I can visit my Val. It’s her 81st birthday on the 4th. It’s been 18 months since the last time that I visited her resting place. I was tempted to drive up on Sunday but the M4 is shut so it would mean going up via the M3 but I have decided not to go as the traffic will be a nightmare with Christmas shopping traffic. So I’ll go for a nice walk on Sunday down to Waterside, pop in the Union Inn and have a Swift pint and wish Val a Happy Birthday. Might even have a wee malt as well, keeps out the cold.

Loving BBB, aka Baby Black Banana, done 2,000 miles so far. Handy for nipping into town to send club stuff off. Plus I have had a clear out in the garage and sent loads of stuff off. All free, the buyer just pays the postage.

Not much to report from anyone else.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 2nd December 2022, 20:08   #596
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting Bob, hope the thanks button does make a reappearance but I'll not hold my breath.

Last edited by squire; 3rd December 2022 at 07:07.. Reason: Spelling error
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2022, 20:38   #597
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

So it isn't something I did then to lose the thanks button?
Enjoyed the post Bob. I filled my tank in Newquay today and then when I went to pay found I had forgotten my wallet.
Then remembered I had set up 'Apple Pay' on my iPhone.
Worked a treat and bailed me out.
Young lady on the till was most amused when I asked 'Do you take Apple Pay?'
'All the time'. No need for a pin as it does do facial recognition. I'm also informed there is no £100 limit on the account since the facial recognition is so reliable but I haven't tried that out yet.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2022, 07:56   #598
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I do bank online but occasionally I like to pop into the bank to count my money. All the banks barring one have closed in Saltash. So I have a choice of either going by bus into Plymouth or taking the car and going into Tavistock. Tavy always wins. Parking is cheap in Tavy, 4 hours for £2. Plus Tavy has a nice pasty shop so lunch is catered for as well.

I drove BBB the pretty route via Callington then onto Gunnislake and finally into Tavy.
Parked up, got my ticket and off I toddled to the bank. Into the bank and there was hardly anyone in there, result. Up to the counter, put my request in and the assistant told me to put my card in the machine and type in my PIN number. I could not for the life of me remember my number, only had the same number for about 20 years. I took the card out and went and sat on the sofa.

I wanted to have a look in my wallet to see if I had written the number down. Panic set it. Then I was aware that someone was sitting next to me, and a sweet voice was asking me if I was ok. It was the bank assistant, she was holding my arm and asking me if I was ok. Next thing there is a chap also asking me if I was ok. He handed me a cup of water and told me to sip the water and to sit back and to relax.

Apparently I had gone a white colour and wasn’t looking very well. I said I was ok and thanked them for there concern. I explained that I had forgotten my PIN number and it had sent me into a panic mode. Not a problem said the young lady, just sit there and relax. And when you feel better come up to the counter and we can sort it all out for you.
I felt very embarrassed to have let this happen to me. But once I had calmed down up to the counter I went. All they needs was my bank card and my driving licence and my request could be sorted out. I apologised for what had happened.
She said it is a common problem that is why they are gradually switching over to either using thumb print or eye print technology.

So back to the car via the pasty shop for steak one. I sat in the car and ate the steaming hot pasty. Once consumed I was off home but going back via Dartmoor. The drive back across the moors calmed me and then I remembered my PIN number. I parked BBB up at one of my favourite spots and took some photo’s of the views. Then drove home, feeling a right plonker.

The Flying Banana has had her headlining and pillar covers replaced in black brushed nylon. Looks really smart. All done by a local chap. Less than a 15 minute walk from my house to his. Dropped her off at 09.00 on the Monday and she was ready to be collected at 16.00 on the Tuesday afternoon. I had agreed the price, was expensive but she is worth it.

It’s at this time of year that I really want to be in London so that I can visit my Val. It’s her 81st birthday on the 4th. It’s been 18 months since the last time that I visited her resting place. I was tempted to drive up on Sunday but the M4 is shut so it would mean going up via the M3 but I have decided not to go as the traffic will be a nightmare with Christmas shopping traffic. So I’ll go for a nice walk on Sunday down to Waterside, pop in the Union Inn and have a Swift pint and wish Val a Happy Birthday. Might even have a wee malt as well, keeps out the cold.

Loving BBB, aka Baby Black Banana, done 2,000 miles so far. Handy for nipping into town to send club stuff off. Plus I have had a clear out in the garage and sent loads of stuff off. All free, the buyer just pays the postage.

Not much to report from anyone else.

Thanks for reading.
Senile old beggar. LOL!
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2022, 20:13   #599
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Thanks to our team leader

onen hag oll
Old 23rd December 2022, 08:07   #600
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

It started with a innocent kiss in August 1990, in August 1993 we was wed and in December 2010 it ended with a sigh from you. It’s been 12 years since my Val took the hands of the Angels, and for some reason I miss her even more this year. Hopefully it has nothing to do with my current condition, I have the flu.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and that the New Year is a better one than this one.

onen hag oll