Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2020, 09:49   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool On this day 5th May 1982

38 years ago

BL Cars Ltd reintroduced the MG marque as a non-sporting variant of its Metro. The changes between the MG engine (taken directly from the Mini Cooper) and the standard 1275 included a modified cylinder head, with larger valves and improved porting, altered cam profile and larger carburettor leading to a 20% increase in BHP to 72 bhp. At the October 1982 Birmingham Motor Show the MG Metro Turbo variant was first shown. With a quoted bhp of 93, 0–60 mph in 8.9 seconds, and top speed of 115 mph (185 km/h) this car had few direct competitors at the time, although the growing demand for "hot hatches" meant that it soon had a host of competitors including the Ford Fiesta XR2, Peugeot 205 GTI and Renault 5 GT Turbo.

This model had a few addition modifications bolted on over the normally aspirated MG model to give an additional 21 bhp. Aside from the turbocharger and exhaust system itself, and what was (at the time) a relatively sophisticated boost delivery and control system, the MG Turbo variant incorporated stiffer suspension (purportedly with engineering input from Lotus), and an uprated crankshaft of nitrided steel and sodium-cooled exhaust valves. Both MG variants were given a "sporty" interior with red seat belts, red carpets and a sports-style steering wheel. The Turbo also benefited from an LCD boost pressure gauge. The Turbo also received alloy wheels, black wheel arch extensions, blacked out trim, a rear spoiler surrounding the windshield, and prominent "TURBO" decals.

While it retained rear drums, the front disc brakes were changed to ventilated units.[10] The later MG variants were emblazoned with the MG logo both inside and out, which only served to fuel claims of badge engineering from some of the more steadfast MG enthusiasts. Others believed that this sentiment was unfounded, particularly in the case of the turbo variant, due to the undeniably increased performance and handling when compared to the non-MG models. From 1983, the MG badge also found its way onto higher performance versions of the Maestro, and shortly afterwards it was adopted for higher performance versions of the Montego.

**Copied from another site.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 11:01   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Thanks for the post, FB.

I had an MG Montego efi, not the turbo, unfortunately, but still a brilliant car, my first ‘performance’ car, and loved every minute of owning it.
Old 5th May 2020, 16:24   #3
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Thanks for the memory Bob On 8th August, 1982, I started work at The Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead. Part of my job involved working in the community and in 1983 driving a lease White MG Metro Turbo. A fun car to drive as it was nippy and parking was easy because of its size. I liked the red carpet and red piping to the grey seats.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 5th May 2020 at 16:32..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 19:14   #4
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
38 years ago

BL Cars Ltd reintroduced the MG marque as a non-sporting variant of its Metro. The changes between the MG engine (taken directly from the Mini Cooper) and the standard 1275 included a modified cylinder head, with larger valves and improved porting, altered cam profile and larger carburettor leading to a 20% increase in BHP to 72 bhp. At the October 1982 Birmingham Motor Show the MG Metro Turbo variant was first shown. With a quoted bhp of 93, 0–60 mph in 8.9 seconds, and top speed of 115 mph (185 km/h) this car had few direct competitors at the time, although the growing demand for "hot hatches" meant that it soon had a host of competitors including the Ford Fiesta XR2, Peugeot 205 GTI and Renault 5 GT Turbo.

This model had a few addition modifications bolted on over the normally aspirated MG model to give an additional 21 bhp. Aside from the turbocharger and exhaust system itself, and what was (at the time) a relatively sophisticated boost delivery and control system, the MG Turbo variant incorporated stiffer suspension (purportedly with engineering input from Lotus), and an uprated crankshaft of nitrided steel and sodium-cooled exhaust valves. Both MG variants were given a "sporty" interior with red seat belts, red carpets and a sports-style steering wheel. The Turbo also benefited from an LCD boost pressure gauge. The Turbo also received alloy wheels, black wheel arch extensions, blacked out trim, a rear spoiler surrounding the windshield, and prominent "TURBO" decals.

While it retained rear drums, the front disc brakes were changed to ventilated units.[10] The later MG variants were emblazoned with the MG logo both inside and out, which only served to fuel claims of badge engineering from some of the more steadfast MG enthusiasts. Others believed that this sentiment was unfounded, particularly in the case of the turbo variant, due to the undeniably increased performance and handling when compared to the non-MG models. From 1983, the MG badge also found its way onto higher performance versions of the Maestro, and shortly afterwards it was adopted for higher performance versions of the Montego.

**Copied from another site.
Driving the turbo one was like being sat on a skateboard being pulled by a drunk driver in a Lamborghini, they were nippy but lethal.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 22:29   #5
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I had 3 of them over a few years and remember them very well, along with one with a factory development of the A+ engine which was a XR2-eating bit of a weapon.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 22:36   #6
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

I worked in an Austin Rover dealership then called Carlaw Baxter's as a car valeted

I remember the first one arriving in white and thought it looked great, loved the seats and red carpets.