Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th December 2020, 16:48   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default MG Zt with a Nissan 200sx engine found

Hi and hope you're all well.
Way back in 2011 it was posted here about this said car.
Today by chance I've actually found it, and it's up for sale.
Over the last few months whilst travelling to work i would see this very car parked up in a mid wales industrial estate looking sorry for itself. Behind the car is a scrap yard and i was hedging my bets it was only a matter of time before it ended up in there to meet its maker.
It looks neglected but underneath the grime there seemed to be a nice car lurking.
Today curiosity got the better of me and i popped into the breakers yard to enquire.
As it turned out it was not there's, but it was the garage owner next door that owned it. The guy was really friendly and declined to sell any parts off it and said its a bit of a "one off" and wanted to sell the car complete. Popping the bonnet open revealed biggest supprise showing off the Nissan 200 sx engine.
He was knowledgeable about and had good reason to be. It was him who actually fitted it all those years ago to which was his brothers car. I'm not very mechanically minded but none the less asked 20 questions.
He said the car goes like grease lightening but it's sadly succumbed to the dreaded rot of floor pans and a broken spring and just wants to sell it on. It's been standing for months on end, and whilst we chatted he wondered if it would still start up after being dormant for so long.
Sure enough first turn of the key it fired into life, and even for my untrained ear it sounded very sweet indeed.
Off the top of his head the engine had presented no problems at all since fitted. Its the top end of the Nissan engine and its been mated up to gear box of the original gear box of the Zt. The original Ecu is fitted and works perfectly with it.
I was somewhat suprised to find the car talked about here on this great club way back in 2011.
I think the car is past its sell by date but if someone here wanted the engine I'm sure a little reverse engineering could be learnt if using it as a doner car for a project on there 75/zt.
All the very best,
Johnny
Old 9th December 2020, 17:06   #2
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Oh Dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Hi and hope you're all well.
Way back in 2011 it was posted here about this said car.
Today by chance I've actually found it, and it's up for sale.
Over the last few months whilst travelling to work i would see this very car parked up in a mid wales industrial estate looking sorry for itself. Behind the car is a scrap yard and i was hedging my bets it was only a matter of time before it ended up in there to meet its maker.
It looks neglected but underneath the grime there seemed to be a nice car lurking.
Today curiosity got the better of me and i popped into the breakers yard to enquire.
As it turned out it was not there's, but it was the garage owner next door that owned it. The guy was really friendly and declined to sell any parts off it and said its a bit of a "one off" and wanted to sell the car complete. Popping the bonnet open revealed biggest supprise showing off the Nissan 200 sx engine.
He was knowledgeable about and had good reason to be. It was him who actually fitted it all those years ago to which was his brothers car. I'm not very mechanically minded but none the less asked 20 questions.
He said the car goes like grease lightening but it's sadly succumbed to the dreaded rot of floor pans and a broken spring and just wants to sell it on. It's been standing for months on end, and whilst we chatted he wondered if it would still start up after being dormant for so long.
Sure enough first turn of the key it fired into life, and even for my untrained ear it sounded very sweet indeed.
Off the top of his head the engine had presented no problems at all since fitted. Its the top end of the Nissan engine and its been mated up to gear box of the original gear box of the Zt. The original Ecu is fitted and works perfectly with it.
I was somewhat suprised to find the car talked about here on this great club way back in 2011.
I think the car is past its sell by date but if someone here wanted the engine I'm sure a little reverse engineering could be learnt if using it as a doner car for a project on there 75/zt.
All the very best,
Johnny
I've not seen a 75 or ZT with the floorpans rotted out, I suspect it's because of what I found in my ZT, the water in the carpets getting under the sound deadening. I posted the warning a couple of weeks ago and this seems to confirm it will happen. I've dealt with it but, how many will take the chance of it not happening to their car?
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 17:15   #3
johnnyb44

Rover 75

That's exactly what this guy said. Water had somehow found its way into the interior and sat there festering away in the sound deadening under the carpet resulting in a frilly underbelly
Old 9th December 2020, 17:47   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Did you get a price??
Old 9th December 2020, 17:48   #5
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Did you get a price??
Are you tempted Andy - a true one off -am amazed the ECU reads the Nissan engine.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 17:50   #6
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Did you get a price??
He wanted around £500 for it trikey
Old 9th December 2020, 17:54   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I remember this car, there were pics and lots of details on here somewhere
Found it https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=86611

Last edited by suzublu; 9th December 2020 at 17:56..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 17:59   #8
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Ahhh that's the one
Old 9th December 2020, 18:50   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Hmm could be...