Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd July 2020, 11:21   #1
jwykes

Rover 75 CDT

Default Reverse light problem

Hello

The reverse lights have not worked for some time on my rover CDt. I investigated today and found with the rear lamp leads disconnected, I get 12v. Connect them and it goes to 0v.
Tested the switch and it works perfectly.
I found a junction box behind the glovebox with green and brown wires, approximately 7 wires. With the rear lamps disconnected it reaches 12v, but then drops to 0v with reconnected. Tested continuity of the rear lamp wires and all good.

After a bit more digging its header k109, connector C0286

Anybody have a clue as to what might be wrong?

regards

James

Last edited by jwykes; 2nd July 2020 at 13:03..
jwykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 05:52   #2
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Question

Year ?
Automatic or manual ?

Last edited by MarkS; 5th July 2020 at 05:57..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 08:14   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwykes View Post
Tested the switch and it works perfectly.
Ignition on, short the terminal on the switch to ground, do the reverse lights come on?

The switch in the manual car is a common problem - it works fine if you remove it and test it, but putting the car in reverse, the switch is often not pushed hard/ far enough to put the lights on.

The 'nose' of the switch needs to protrude further into the gearbox, to work properly. There are three possible fixes...

1. Try a new switch
2. Add a blob of solder to the 'nose' of the switch.
3. If you have access to a lathe, turn down the flat face hex, so it can be screwed further into the gearbox. It needs to go around 2 or 3mm further in.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2020, 15:01   #4
jwykes

Rover 75 CDT

Its 2002 Manual bog standard club with no bells or whistles. Not sure what photos would achieve to make this post more worthy.

I shorted the switch connector and nothing. K109 behind the glovebox is the feed to all things connected with the reverse switch. Pin 19 is the one fed from reverse switch, and when its in reverse gear, ignition on I get 12V. Move it out of gear and it returns to 0V. This rules the switch out.

Testing continuity again shows pin 15 LH reverse light circuit is open but RH see's 12V. But I did get 12V on LH when first checking. It appears that the problem lies between glovebox K109 and rear connections. Is there another connector buried in the car under seats?

On the RH rear connection, there's 12V but as soon as the bulb is fitted it goes to 0V. Can't be an earth issue as the rear lamp bulb holder is common earth and the other lamps all function.
Old 6th July 2020, 19:32   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwykes View Post
On the RH rear connection, there's 12V but as soon as the bulb is fitted it goes to 0V.
Sorry cannot find my circuit diagrams, so I'm guessing...

That reads as if it is not a genuine 12v, rather it is fed by an high resistance or a bit of stray voltage - guess you are using an high resistance digital test meter?

The proper way to be sure you have a genuine 12v is with a 12v lamp.

The front to rear loom runs along the right hand side of the car, just under the carpet, in the corner by the door. The cable for the reversing light, might call into the right hand rear wing, where the reversing sensor module normally goes (when fitted).

Have you found/checked the reversing light fuse?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 6th July 2020, 19:48   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Found my MII diagram, it will not be the same as your MKI, but might give some clues...

The gearbox switch operates a relay, the relay then powers the reversing lights. You need to track down that relay, probably behind your glovebox and see if it clicks, when reverse is selected, with ignition on. The wire from the relay running to the reversing light, on the MKII is a black cable.

Old 6th July 2020, 19:50   #7
jwykes

Rover 75 CDT

I checked fuse 41 10Amp and its OK

If its not raining tomorrow might have a go at finding the circuit under the carpets
Old 6th July 2020, 20:17   #8
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

According to the RAVE wiring diagram, there are two Green/Brown cables from the joint behind the glove box to the reversing lights (no other joints on the way), one from pin 17 to the left light, one from pin 15 to the right.
As above, if fitting a bulb changes the status from 12v to 0v, it usually indicates a 'stray' voltage rather than the full 12v on that cable, possibly caused by damage to it, or 'feedback' via a bad Earth connection.

Last edited by raykay; 6th July 2020 at 20:52..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 08:55   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi James,

Just to clarify, the relay mentioned earlier is for automatic transmission only so you won't have one.

When you shorted the reversing lamps switch to earth earlier the fuse should have blown. As it didn't, you must have high resistance upstream of the switch. I'd suggest checking the fuse box wiring physically. The diesel is known to have problems in that area.

Simon
Old 7th July 2020, 09:35   #10
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
When you shorted the reversing lamps switch to earth earlier the fuse should have blown. Simon
As I read post 4, the switch contacts were 'bridged', rather than connected to Earth.

I would check with a testlamp rather than a meter the 12v at the connector behind the glove box, if that works OK, it indicates a problem between the connector and the light, rather than between the fuse panel and the connector..

Last edited by raykay; 7th July 2020 at 10:27..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote