Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2007, 16:38   #121
FROGGY
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTI

I have followed this thread, sometimes with amusement, and sometimes with despair.

Reading many of the comments by the more "environmentally enlightened" members does, however, make me a little angry.

The UK is becoming legislation crazy regarding environmental issues, be it vehicle emissions, home fire emissions, second-hand tobacco smoke, etc. etc. Yet we still suck up to our "friends" across the pond, who are probably the world's worst when it comes to protecting the environment, soon to be overtaken no doubt by the Chinese.

The effect of all of Europe's environmental legislation has the significance of a spot on a fleas compared to what these two countries are doing, so if some of you are really interested in protecting the environment, go and lobby your MP's to make noises where it counts, and leave the poor motorists alone.

One Jumbo jet taking off from London airport does more damage every day than all the guys on this forum who have modded their cars do in a year.

OK, that's my rant over.

Mick

Last edited by GreyGhost; 8th December 2007 at 17:05..
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 17:03   #122
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw View Post
Presumably Rinceweed drives a weedy 110 version of the R75
I think that Rinceweed drives the worst car on the planet - the Vauxhall Vectra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oo, I shudder at the thought!

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 00:27   #123
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

In Response to Colin's Comment on a Mod's View to the Environment.
As I have mentioned on a separate relevant Thread, My views were not that of the Club and were of a Personal Nature, not that of a Mod/Club representative or Spokesperson.
As a Mod obviously I have to hold back at times, but the debate on "Green" issues or "A good Excuse for more Tax taking for a Con" by the Government is one which many people agree with.
Everyone is entitled to their Opinion, as long as is not put across rudely or to offend.
The reason for my delay in responding was because I was off on another 747 trip to the States (13th this year) and with also a 40K annual mileage etc I know my Carbon Footprint is massive, but also as Stated thats up to me and I Pay for these things so I use them as I see fit for my Enjoyment/Work Requirements.
That may not be very Politically correct, but Thats me, if you want to save the Planet I am not going to complain about your efforts, it is after all at the moment allowed to have free Speech.
Go to India, China and America and tell them.
If the whole of the UK gave up all Emissions/Global Warming causes it wouldn't make one penny of Difference to the World as we are still one of the Smallest in % caused.
For that reason alone I will not join any Recycling, cutting down Power etc. A personal Choice.
I live right on the Coast and would be one of the First to suffer, and have Children and Grandchildren also, but Look after them by ensuring they get a Good Education, University and a well Paid Job so they can make their own decisions and pay for them.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 11th December 2007 at 00:30..
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 07:25   #124
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

out of interest, what do you tell your grandchildren re: the above?
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 07:57   #125
JohnDotCom

I show them Where I go What I do and Why,
I have shown them both Programs and Films from both Points of View (plenty available in the US to back both Arguments)
I also show them that if the Biggest Polluters in the World did something it might make a noticeable difference.
It helped with the Fact that a Presentation at schools here shows that
the Removal of the Amazon Rain Forests causes more damage to the Ozone by its removal,
Than the Total output from Road Vehicles in Europe!
Food for thought, even I didn't know that.
Public Transport that is More Costly than running a Car, when you see any.
We have a Massive off Shore Wind Power Site, which can never pay for its Costs in its Lifetime and has yet to ever reach 50% of what they said it would do. (and One of the Country's Biggest).
Its forever breaking down or is Switched off for two different reasons.
1. To much wind above what they can Handle.
2. No wind at all so know Power.
Nuclear is the Only answer I and they Believe, I don't know if they have learnt that at School or not as its one area I have not touched with them.
They are then left to their own minds to make up,
but with the extra Tax Gimmick you would have a Hard Job convincing anyone,
as its Just a Rip off which is not used correctly when Raised.

Here our Councils who ask you to separate your Rubbish (Recycle?) only have a 45% take up and as they are then putting it into Landfill (a Joke in its self)!
because they have "mountains" of Tins, Paper, Card etc which is not wanted anywhere because firms are overrun with Recycled Waste and are still purchasing "New" as it has now become Cheaper.
Yes I know the World has gone nuts.

YES I KNOW SHOULD START A NEW THREAD AGAIN.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 11th December 2007 at 08:44..
Old 11th December 2007, 08:33   #126
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Is there not a very large element of hypocrisy when motorists start voicing their 'green' views?
If a motorist was really concerned about the environment, would he/she not drive the most compact, fuel efficient vehicle that they they could.
The Rover 75 & ZT are large heavy cars, the diesel engine installation dates back probably 10years, the tourers and automatic models are significantly thirstier and even more polluting. But let's face it we have an emotional attachment to our cars which overrides everything else.

My conscience is clear on the 'green' issues of tuning because if I didn't / couldn't tune my engine (something I've been doing for 30odd years) I'd just buy a more powerful, off the shelf, but probably, equally polluting vehicle.

I also don't accept that a functioning egr system is necessary to ensure reliablility of the engine or turbo. It beggars belief that when an egr system malfunctions due to maf issues or is disabled by the owner, damage will result.
I have seen no evidence that this happens on any engine and certainly no L series or M47R engine has suffered.

If you believe the scaremongering, then leave the egr system alone. .

Ron
Old 12th December 2007, 12:20   #127
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Sorry Rincewind, owe you another piece of humble pie.
Tried so hard not to make the same mistake, then ended up doing it all over again!!!!!!

Appologies,

Russ
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 12:41   #128
mattl
Avid contributor

MG ZT260 SE

Still trying to get my egr bypass. No respones from Dave at all??? Anyone got one they dont want?
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 14:57   #129
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattl View Post
Still trying to get my egr bypass. No respones from Dave at all??? Anyone got one they dont want?
He's working away and has had family illness to contend with so hopefully you will get a reply in the New Year.

Ron
Old 12th December 2007, 16:29   #130
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattl View Post
I know he will sort later, he is a Bit Preoccupied at the Moment sad to say.
So please be Patient.

Sorry Ron, see you have already responded, Must read all messages first!

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 12th December 2007 at 16:31.. Reason: Updated