Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th July 2016, 16:42   #11
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Upgraded from Win 7 last year and hated it. Gave it a couple of weeks use, and have since come to love it! It took me a little time to find my way around to begin with, but I'm glad I persisted.

I have the start menu set to full screen and have finally been able to dispense with my desktop launch gadget that I've been using since the days of Win XP.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 17:44   #12
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Absolutely love Windows 10

All my PCs at home are Win10 except the server which is Server 2012R2. Would never go back to 7, and as far as 8/8.1 is concerned they should have been shot at birth

All work machines are also Win10 except the server which is also Server 2012R2.

Don't have any issues with connecting to network printers, wireless printers/scanners etc., they all just work.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 19:58   #13
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I think it's just as good as XP and Win7 were in their day, I completely understand people don't like change but the world moves on and if you actually had to go back to Win98 and had to browse this site on Netscape Navigator via a dial up modem you'd be a bit upset...... no matter how simple and stable you fondly remember it as being
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 20:14   #14
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I upgraded from Win 7 To Win 10 on one of my PC's. It works fine I just don't like the data harvesting nature of it. my other three desktop PC's the ones I use daily for everything + media centre are on Ubuntu 16.04 & Linux Mint 18. I much prefer these OS's to Windows. They're quite old PC's but run much faster & smoother than they ever did on Windows. I've never had a moments trouble with either of these Distros in all the years I've used them, They just work.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 20:49   #15
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I loved Widows 98SE and XP not keen on the later versions, I've got Widows 10 on my laptop but rarely use it as the iPad does all I need
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 20:57   #16
BRMFUN
Avid contributor

MG

I rarely use my PC as iPad and iPhone are much quicker and easier to use, I tried to upgrade to 10 but it crashed twice and I really can't be bothered, as Windows 7 is working just fine for what I do!

Too many cars too little time
BRMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 06:30   #17
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I was a lover of XP for a very long time. Didn't go down the Vista route or 7. Was introduced to Ubuntu some time again but didn't like the lack of usable software.
I then had problems with my old desktop with a motherboard failure and then the HDD just stopped. I reinstalled XP after upgrading the machine and it was OK for a few months. I then had the chance of a nearly new Dell desktop and decided that XP was out of date, I then downloaded Linux Mint 15 which has been upgraded overtime and is now Running Sarah (Mint Mate 18) It does everything I need with Libre office, Moxilla, Thunderbird mail, Virtualbox and other free software that gives me Audacity, GQRX and all I need. Never crashes, safe on the net and extremely fast.
I was given a new laptop last year from the family as a present with Windows 10 installed, I persevered with it for a month, put up with really slow loading times, crashes, awkward to navigate round, virus protection that was always going wobbly etc, so it went, I now have Mint 18 cinnamon installed and again absolutely brilliant.
I still have my old XP desktop with loads of car software on it and T4 so it will be left that way, it never goes on the net, any new software is downloaded to my linux machines first then copied to the old machine.
Sorry for the long post but to sum it up......... Microsoft your welcome to keep Win 10, It's a poor offering in my eyes and experience.
Old 12th July 2016, 07:15   #18
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I think it's just as good as XP and Win7 were in their day, I completely understand people don't like change but the world moves on and if you actually had to go back to Win98 and had to browse this site on Netscape Navigator via a dial up modem you'd be a bit upset...... no matter how simple and stable you fondly remember it as being
I don't go along with this line of thought. A lot of members on this forum are not new to computing and have used several OS in our time and have spent plenty of time on each.

Personally I have experienced everything MS ever offered, various Linux systems going back many years and I even ran Haiku OS (look it up) for a while.

To put it in terms we all understand, it's like someone saying to you, 'why are you still running that old Rover (or MG). They're so outdated and customer support finished years ago, why not get a modern one?'
Old 12th July 2016, 08:21   #19
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

To be fair I was talking about people in general rather than just people on here, but I appreciate it doesn't read like that

I use Macs more than PC's myself anyway and I do appreciate the benefits of Linux as well, the reason I don't actually use it is because a lot of industry standard software won't run natively on it and I know people say if more people used it then the software would become available...... but people have been saying that for at least 10 years and it's apparently too big a chicken/egg conundrum to ever actually happen!
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 09:17   #20
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

I know what you mean about Linux. I love it and admire the ethos behind it but there are a few important programs (like MotoGP 2014) that I can't get to run in virtual box because I don't have the processing power.

I have Ubuntu set up on a different laptop HDD that I occasionally swap in and out, but W7 is that good that it is only a part time pastime.

Here's a reminder of the good(?) ole days...