Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st August 2022, 09:32   #1
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Default Springs and ting

Looking for some advice really.

My car (ZT 160 4cyl) has the Moto built lowering springs. These were on the car when I bought it. It looks great at that height, and drives well too. Unfortunately one has cracked meaning an MOT fail. I’ve spoken to the fella at Moto built and he’s out of stock, with new stock expected to take over a month to arrive.

What are my best options for replacing? I’m assuming all four will need to be changed to ensure they match up.

Ideally I’d like it to stay lowered, but if push comes to shove I’ll have to go back to standard ride height. It’s not the end of the world.
Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2022, 08:27   #2
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Anyone know which are the correct springs to order for a 1.8? Can’t find any info on it.
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:56   #3
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

If you lift out the rear seat base there should be a label with your car's spring and shock ratings if you are going back to standard
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:05   #4
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

No sign of the sticker. Have lifted the seat up and I can’t find it! I’m at the end of my tether with this need it sorted asap and I’m completely lost.
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:21   #5
Popcorn
Loves to post

You could buy 2nd hand to get you through the MOT then get the new lowered springs when available, you don't say if it's front or rear which has broken, if rears quick enough to swap out, fronts a bit more involved
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:23   #6
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

It’s the front offside that’s broken. I’ve never dealt with lowering springs or anything like that before. Would I be ok just sticking standard springs on the front until the lowered ones are available again?
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:41   #7
Popcorn
Loves to post

Short answer yes ,along as you have standard struts and not coilovers the rear of the car will just be 30/50mm lower depending on how low the springs were specified. From what I've read on here the mg has slightly lower springs than the 75 any way so the difference may not be too much .then get the new fronts fitted or change out the rears so the car is sat level and will handle correctly
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:14   #8
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Short answer yes ,along as you have standard struts and not coilovers the rear of the car will just be 30/50mm lower depending on how low the springs were specified. From what I've read on here the mg has slightly lower springs than the 75 any way so the difference may not be too much .then get the new fronts fitted or change out the rears so the car is sat level and will handle correctly
Fab that’s music to my ears.
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:38   #9
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
Fab that’s music to my ears.
You might also need to check your headlight beams if you raise the front, but leave the back lowered! Badly aligned lights are a fail at MOT.

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2022, 09:29   #10
Kroll
Regular poster

ZT 160

So I’ve ordered some front springs from Rimmers, I found a list of codes on here on this thread ; and in the absence of the sticker saying what codes were originally on the car I plumped for the 1.8t mg sports springs.

If I decide to go back to standard on the rears down the line, anyone know what’s the best match for rear springs?