Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st February 2012, 10:49   #1
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts
Default Massai House

I came across these pics which I took in 35mm. A project to show the Massai women how to build a house for not very much money with natural materials. The remit of the project was to build a house without too much difficulty in a week with water saving features and to keep to the the culture and traditions of the Massai tribe.

The concealed gutters directed water to the water tanks out of sight and the water is stored ahead of the long drought season. We used basic tools and sourced materials locally apart from the bedding and mosquito nets. The walls are made of sheep dung and mud and they dry to form a solid wall. The results were viewed positively by the tribal women. Whilst it was being built, we had the fortune to live with the Massai and in return we did not charge for our services. The site was located high up off road in the Loita Hills overlooking the border with Tanzania.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg building.with.the.massai.jpg (121.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg massai.women's.house.jpg (119.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Inside Massai House.jpg (116.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Outside Long Drop.jpg (111.9 KB, 33 views)
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 18:51   #2
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

That's an impressive throne.

Very nice colours and naturalness(?) in the photos.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 20:02   #3
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanks Fred for those compliments.

Since the photos, 4 years have passed and the project went onto other things with more houses being built.

Tourist's are flown in by chopper and spend anything from a night to a few days to stay in the houses. The tourists want the eco experience. It is popular with the Russians, Chinese and Japanese. They get to go on walking safaris with the tribesmen - the hunters and stay in the houses with the Massai families, unique and special. Some of the Massai speak English and put on tribal displays over a camp fire at night. The proceeds are shared equally between the Massai and the tour company. The Massai invest the profits back into the tribe for a better life.
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:58   #4
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Some lovely pictures there Phil.
Are the houses made entirely from local materials? (other than poo)

Last edited by coolcat; 2nd February 2012 at 15:02..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 09:51   #5
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanks Jeff for those kind thoughts.

The stone flooring was sourced from local quarries and cut on site. The paint was brought in from Nairobi along with some craftsmen to show the villagers how to do the carpentry and to give a hand. I remember the village had some problems with marauding elephants who would come looking for water and to be playful, however they did a lot of damage if they were not challenged and directed to run off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marauding.elephants.jpg (71.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 4th February 2012, 10:04   #6
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thanks Jeff for those kind thoughts.

The stone flooring was sourced from local quarries and cut on site. The paint was brought in from Nairobi along with some craftsmen to show the villagers how to do the carpentry and to give a hand. I remember the village had some problems with marauding elephants who would come looking for water and to be playful, however they did a lot of damage if they were not challenged and directed to run off
Hi Phil,

After they were shown how to build the homes did the local people then construct more homes for themselves?
Would be nice to know all the hard work paid off and the local people improved their lives as well as learning new skills for themselves and will hand those skills down to the next generation.
Hope you didn't run into too many Elephants on your build!
Old 4th February 2012, 10:56   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

It is true Jeff, the villagers did go on to stand up for themselves and build houses using their new skills long after we left. It was the massai women building the houses and not the men.

Elephants are very intelligent. The problems start when an old bull become too old, not accepted and is rejected by the herd. Those guys are often on their way out, on their last legs and are the ones to be avoided and given plenty of space. Those elephants will gladly charge and take anything out which happens to be in its path in one last blaze of glory usually just before it dies.

The elephants did come to our camp at night according to the guards and somehow did not disturb us whilst we were sleeping. I have seen an elephant nimbly and carefully negotiate guide ropes and pegs without damage to the ropes or to the tent. How canny is that? fascinating really, yet another will be destructive in other ways.