Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th September 2013, 23:45   #1
Blackwatch
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Default Determined to get the steering wheel controls working but need help.....again

Ok guys I am desperate to get the steering wheel controls working ( especially now that the stereo has a remote and the kids nick it lol ).

Now here is my predicament, which is complicated so bear with me.

Right down behind the ashtray I have a standard BMW stereo plug. This attaches to another loom and goes up to an ISO block ( Grey and brown ). At the same time I have a small black plug which looks like it is for a Kenwood head unit and also the small infrared block / led. I believe the Kenwood and the standard ISO looms are wired together.

Ignore the wires just pushed in to the grey block as that was me trying to test the wiring before I got the loom pictured below.

I have looked into my grey block as per this picture to try and work things out as well.

I have had to snip pin 1 and 6 ( see my post about the screen flickering when the lights are on and driving ).

I have got an Autoleads PC99-X32 here already to go ( although I do need to get the proper patch lead which should be here soon ) does anyone know which 2 wires I need to take from the original BMW plug ( behind the ashtray ) and where would I need them to wire to. Or do I need to take a feed from the Kenwood infrared wires ( I believe there are 2 one blue and one black )...if so where do I need to fit them to?

Finally I have this

Which I have pulled from a rover 75 at the local scrap yard.I used this to get the CD changer working on the standard head unit before I upgraded. Although I couldn't get the steering wheel controls to work with it....due to the Kenwood interface i believe.

Could someone please help me as I'm going out of my mind here. It might make sense in person as well so If someone is available near Wakefield, Barnsley or Huddersfield than I would welcome some help aslo PM me to speak over the phone.

Last edited by Blackwatch; 6th September 2013 at 23:49..
Blackwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 07:28   #2
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwatch View Post
Ok guys I am desperate to get the steering wheel controls working ( especially now that the stereo has a remote and the kids nick it lol ).

Now here is my predicament, which is complicated so bear with me.

Right down behind the ashtray I have a standard BMW stereo plug. This attaches to another loom and goes up to an ISO block ( Grey and brown ). At the same time I have a small black plug which looks like it is for a Kenwood head unit and also the small infrared block / led. I believe the Kenwood and the standard ISO looms are wired together.

Ignore the wires just pushed in to the grey block as that was me trying to test the wiring before I got the loom pictured below.

I have looked into my grey block as per this picture to try and work things out as well.

I have had to snip pin 1 and 6 ( see my post about the screen flickering when the lights are on and driving ).

I have got an Autoleads PC99-X32 here already to go ( although I do need to get the proper patch lead which should be here soon ) does anyone know which 2 wires I need to take from the original BMW plug ( behind the ashtray ) and where would I need them to wire to. Or do I need to take a feed from the Kenwood infrared wires ( I believe there are 2 one blue and one black )...if so where do I need to fit them to?

Finally I have this

Which I have pulled from a rover 75 at the local scrap yard.I used this to get the CD changer working on the standard head unit before I upgraded. Although I couldn't get the steering wheel controls to work with it....due to the Kenwood interface i believe.

Could someone please help me as I'm going out of my mind here. It might make sense in person as well so If someone is available near Wakefield, Barnsley or Huddersfield than I would welcome some help aslo PM me to speak over the phone.

Have a look here, might help you, this is how I have done mine and everything works perfectly

Stu

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...=131423&page=2

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 10:42   #3
Blackwatch
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Excellent Stu thank you....Just got to wait for my clarion patch lead to come. If I could rewire this sony patch lead I would.
Old 7th September 2013, 16:42   #4
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwatch View Post
Excellent Stu thank you....Just got to wait for my clarion patch lead to come. If I could rewire this sony patch lead I would.
Jon

No problems, and hope you get it sorted

A picture paints a thousand words, and it is much easier to follow

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 19:22   #5
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

PC99-CLA Patch Wiring:

Old 8th September 2013, 16:05   #6
Blackwatch
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Excellent... thanks to everyone for all the help so far...however its still no go I am really starting to think the actual controls are borked.

I have back tracked from the ISO block down to the original BMW block that was behind the ash tray

Am I correct in thinking that the orange/blue and purple/blue wires are the actual SWI wires? If so would running them direct to the Autoleads block be an idea?

Also does anyone know what this block is for as well please.....

As you can see it goes straight into the loom of the BMW loop.

This thing will not beat me lol. After I have got the head unit wired in I can add the SatNav, DAB tuner, Speakers, Subs and amps.
Old 8th September 2013, 16:14   #7
Duotone
This is my second home

Yes, steering wheel control wires are blue/orange and blue/purple.

The small black plug is used in the hi Line sat nav install.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 16:17   #8
Blackwatch
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post
Yes, steering wheel control wires are blue/orange and blue/purple.

The small black plug is used in the hi Line sat nav install.

Dave T
sweet so if I took a feed from thoose 2 wires to the Auto leads block directly would that work?

I currently have it as in this picture ( thanks Stu )

Which way would I do it

Grey to orange/blue
Pink to Purple/blue

or

Grey to purple/blue
pink to orange/blue?
Old 8th September 2013, 23:06   #9
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

A PC99-X32 adapter lead has the steering wheel control cables in it, all that is needed is that lead plugged into the BMW connector on the car loom, and a patch lead for the make of stereo.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 23:10   #10
Blackwatch
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Thats the lead I have ( well according to the sticker on the black box it is ). However mine is setup for ISO blocks not the BMW ones