Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th July 2015, 18:53   #11
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w44nty View Post
Get a gold resister of Jules who is trader on here,I am sure he would post to spain,leave the e bay ones well alone
Good idea Stephen, I forgot about Jules... sorry Jules.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 18:55   #12
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I hear what you say Dallas, but you have to remember that I am trying to do all of this IN SPANISH, as the garage has nobody who speaks English (a reasonable situation, given we are in Spain!!), so some 'allowance' needs to be made for my limited knowledge of the language

In addition, the Rover garage does not cover A/C issues and I used another garage - which is where I DID take it back to see why there was a problem and he was clearly just too busy to deal with it - nice business to have!?

On the plus side, I did manage to convey to the Rover mechanic the need to clean out the EGR - which as you will know, is NOT a listed service item, so the lad did good!

I have met and dealt with Simon and Arctic, who are both top chaps!
MrSooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 19:02   #13
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSooty View Post
I hear what you say Dallas, but you have to remember that I am trying to do all of this IN SPANISH, as the garage has nobody who speaks English (a reasonable situation, given we are in Spain!!), so some 'allowance' needs to be made for my limited knowledge of the language

In addition, the Rover garage does not cover A/C issues and I used another garage - which is where I DID take it back to see why there was a problem and he was clearly just too busy to deal with it - nice business to have!?

On the plus side, I did manage to convey to the Rover mechanic the need to clean out the EGR - which as you will know, is NOT a listed service item, so the lad did good!
oh I see, hopefully you can get it all sorted.

Maybe copy some written text from the club all about the fan and resistor problems, and paste into google translate and convert to Spanish, then print on A4 and hand to the garage, they may appreciate that, or they may not...
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 19:04   #14
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Stephen - that might be the way forward for the future and as my wife is due in the UK in 7-10 days time, she could bring it back here when she comes...

In the meantime, I hope to get the problem sorted 'pro-tem' and then take it back in once the gold upgrade is available.

Presumably, this would not be an expensive job to do twice???

(The good news is that labour rates are much more sensible here than in the UK)

Regards
Old 28th July 2015, 19:10   #15
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Theoretically Dallas, that is a perfectly sound and sensible suggestion, BUT having spent several months of our first year here dealing with a Spanish speaking Builder who relied upon his phone translation service to communicate with us, I can categorically assure you that all the 'software translation' options I have seen so far, are just this side of utter s*%t

My wife and I have had a few real howlers - some amusing, others monumentally strange and incomprehensible - it's a wonder we got as far as we did with our renovation without serious problems arising!!

It takes longer, but we are both attending Spanish classes, run by a qualified and educated Spanish lady who is just great - and we are getting there
Old 28th July 2015, 22:54   #16
Mdan
Gets stuck in

mg zt

Check all the fuses first depends how handy you are as well really my fan was not working as the relay box had broken wires with green corrioson. The relay box if located on the back of the fan cowlin.
Mdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 06:35   #17
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I have removed the Chrome grill to get a better view of the fan and there is no sign of a silver resistor box sitting at 2 0'clock!!

Is this confirmation that I have the older 3 speed fan fitted (Car is a 2003 model) and if so, what is the best/only option for replacement in order to get the A/C working safely - bearing in mind my location in Spain AND the future possibility of having the 'Gold upgrade' from Jules as soon as practicable...

In other words, I need the cheapest/readily available solution NOW and the superior upgraded option later.......the indecent haste on my part being driven by it being summer here and temperatures are running in the high 30's with August only days away - a challenge for Fans/Air conditioning systems in its own right, before parts failing :-(
Old 29th July 2015, 06:46   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Time to speak to Jules about a Revotec fan replacement then

As your car has a three speed fan, this is the way to go I'd say

Have a look HERE

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 07:03   #19
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Whilst you are waiting for your new fan from Jules, you could try this.

See here http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=35567 do the trinary test, although quite likely that may fail too.

However, if it does run as a very temporary measure you could connect those together (note the plug would need to be on though!) to run the fan at the next speed.

NOTE: This is going to overwork an already tired fan, so if it works in the first place it will not last but maybe long enough for the post to get through!
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 07:41   #20
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the advice regarding the Revotec solution - but regrettably, if I ordered that it would take around 10 days to arrive here in Spain, plus a re-booking at the garage and I cannot survive 2 weeks either without a car OR a car without A/C - therefore, it will need to be whatever the garage have to offer either today, or in a couple of days after ordering replacement parts......

I hope you guys appreciate how fortunate you are to have so many inventive and knowledgeable members available to help out with all these issues that arise as part of the 'Rover ownership experience'