Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th October 2020, 05:14   #41
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I believe the Haas decision could be (ok, supposition) a red herring. That happened on the formation lap, which is after the mechanics etc have left the track, the driver really is on his own, and it is, to all intents and purposes part of the race.

But weren't Hamilton’s practice starts before the grid had even formed, and after which the teams swarm over the cars - so the driver hardly having no help?

So as I asked previously, do we know when the ‘driver driving the car unaided’ rule actually applies, for instance in free practice - does that add even more ambiguity?
Old 6th October 2020, 12:07   #42
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
I believe the Haas decision could be (ok, supposition) a red herring. That happened on the formation lap, which is after the mechanics etc have left the track, the driver really is on his own, and it is, to all intents and purposes part of the race.

But weren't Hamilton’s practice starts before the grid had even formed, and after which the teams swarm over the cars - so the driver hardly having no help?

So as I asked previously, do we know when the ‘driver driving the car unaided’ rule actually applies, for instance in free practice - does that add even more ambiguity?
The Haas decision was on the formation lap, it is not part of the race though as it is not counted as a lap. The team told the drivers to come in. I believe it would have been ok, had the drivers come in of their own volition.

Free practice, I always thought was free of rules (well relatively speaking) to allow for a defined set up of the car for the track and current conditions. Including engineers giving guidance to drivers on how to adjust parameters if required.

The mechanics on the grid can be on the grid, as I understand, it is not part of the race. However, the formation lap will also have some form of governance for safety reasons, though this will be written with the thoughts of a mechanic being physically on track.

-----------------------------------------------------

The radio message rules however were clarified and adjusted in 2016. Ironically they aided Hamilton as Rosberg got a 10 second penalty for it HERE. Later in this same video, it proves that Hamilton was aware of certain rules (which have since been amended from what I can see - however this proves he was at least at one stage aware they existed), particularly the one that Mercedes were penalised for (approx. 2.25).

I do not have a copy of the 2020 rules, to see what the differences are now from 2016. EDIT: I believe I do now.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 6th October 2020 at 13:30..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 16:22   #43
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

That’s fine, thanks. But i still don’t know when precisely that rule starts to apply.

However, we’ve probably dragged this out long enough - just in time to start discussing this week at Nurburgring.....

Malcolm