Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd October 2020, 18:00   #21
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
I'd love to hear the opinions of a currently qualified tester
You have, did you not read my reply?

With regards to other methods of repair they are acceptable if the original construction was done using them but it depends on the area of the vehicle.

When logging a car onto the testing system, certain vehicles have "testing advice" one of them being a Mercedes Benz (can't remember the model) which states that there may be a patch carried out on the suspension strut housing using rivits (or something like that) and it is an acceptable manufacturers repair method and not to fail it.

There have been many times i have seen repairs covered up with underseal or other goo so have to give the benefit of the doubt that it is good and then pass and advise it.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2020, 18:06   #22
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post

With regards to other methods of repair they are acceptable if the original construction was done using them but it depends on the area of the vehicle.

When logging a car onto the testing system, certain vehicles have "testing advice" one of them being a Mercedes Benz (can't remember the model) which states that there may be a patch carried out on the suspension strut housing using rivits (or something like that) and it is an acceptable manufacturers repair method and not to fail it.

There have been many times i have seen repairs covered up with underseal or other goo so have to give the benefit of the doubt that it is good and then pass and advise it.
Im afraid you have got one .Qualified to teach ,examine and certificate
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2020, 18:07   #23
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
We discussed these areas....

Prescribed areas
Certain areas of the vehicle structure are particularly important for the safety of a vehicle and you must pay particular attention to these areas during an inspection. These areas are:

load-bearing parts of the vehicle to which testable items are mounted – these items are in Sections 1 (brakes), 2 (steering), 5 (axles, wheels, tyres and suspension) and 7 (other equipment) of the inspection manual
any load-bearing or supporting structure or supporting panelling within 30cm of the mounting location
For example, when examining a seat belt mounting on an inner sill, you must give consideration to the outer sill or the sill reinforcement if the outer sill is a plastic cover, door pillar, floor panel or any other structural part within 30cm of the component’s mounting point.

You do not have to check areas covered by things like body trim.

3. Corrosion assessment
Identify the important load bearing members and ‘prescribed areas’ on a vehicle, then check if they are excessively corroded by:

Visual inspection
Use finger and thumb pressure to assess the extent of the corrosion
If necessary, carefully scrape or lightly tap the affected areas with the corrosion assessment tool
Use of the corrosion assessment tool must be restricted to ascertaining that the failure criteria are met and not used for heavy scraping or poking of the affected areas.
Fred, Phil is right that hole is well within the prescribed area, (75mm from the trailing arm mounting ) and you will discover the curved section is holed when the stonechip coating is removed to effect the permanent repair.

Consider yourself lucky, and get it fixed properly ASAP
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2020, 18:11   #24
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
Fred, Phil is right that hole is well within the prescribed area, (75mm from the trailing arm mounting ) and you will discover the curved section is holed when the stonechip coating is removed to effect the permanent repair.

Consider yourself lucky, and get it fixed properly ASAP
Ask the mods to remove the post .A lot of people in a very deep hole if taken further
Old 2nd October 2020, 18:13   #25
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
Im afraid you have got one .Qualified to teach ,examine and certificate
Handy to know if I have any questions
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2020, 18:18   #26
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Handy to know if I have any questions
No problem .Wife and Sister also very highly legally qualified .In particular with R.T.A issues and recently construction and use issues .In particular afternarket lighting modifications .I shall say no more
Old 2nd October 2020, 18:32   #27
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:

Sorry Phil, I was typing my reply while you were answering the question.

My own method of repair was to cut back the affected steel, fabricate the repair sections in 1mm mild steel, clamp then a continuous seam weld, and plug welding to the flange which was spot welded originally.

I'm sure Fred will be doing something similar having already bought the repair section.

I was working outdoors, and it took me ages as the weather conditions needed to be perfect, i.e not a breath of wind while welding.
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2020, 21:42   #28
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
Should not have passed with a glued on panel
Excuse me! My Aston Martin is ‘glued’ together, literally.
Old 4th October 2020, 09:05   #29
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’m with Phil on this one, I’d of failed it. However I’m only a tester of 30 years.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote