Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th September 2020, 20:16   #1
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default It happened in the back of a taxi

Ok that's an odd thaught.
But where where you who you go bitten by the bug.

I never get taxis .
In 2003 I had to get in one it was a 75 driven by someone I recognize from school .
He didn't recognize myself ( good thing)
He drove like a maniac .
80 mph in a 50.
(Maybe he did remember me ?)

Anyway what struck me was this was the best car I have ever been in the back of.
It was that good I had to buy one the next week
It's 2020 and my current one iv owned 8 years.
And it gets money no object maintenance
I do work on it for the sake of it.

So my question

When was your first time

Rover 75 that is
It runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 20:34   #2
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I was a scout camping in Talybont on Usk 45 years ago and there were a bunch of derelict vehicles in a yard so I snuck in and took a look at a 50's Rover P4
No idea if it was a 75 or a 110 or what but I just loved the chrome and leather. Sadly an old boy came out and chased me out of the yard.
10 years later I drove back there a hundred miles to see if they were still in the yard and whether we could do a deal. Same old boy chased me off his land again

Shame, remember there was a green Velocette too.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 20:47   #3
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

At the launch of the 75, an event was held at Crathorne Hall near Yarm. Naturally, I was interested in seeing the car and all that it was about.
I have to admit, it was the free bacon sandwiches and coffee that tipped the balance, along with the offer of a test drive.

I was impressed though. In time, I got myself one, I didn't have the dosh to buy a new one anyway.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 20:48   #4
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

That's brilliant everyone must have a story . You don't just buy one because you need transport .
My late father . First motorcycle was a red velocette le as I recall

Last edited by It runs; 30th September 2020 at 20:49.. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 30th September 2020, 21:29   #5
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I remember in 1998/99 my dad showing me a big article in a newspaper when the 75 was launched, was a big Full page article from memory. I was 5 years old at the time. Had quite an interest in cars from a young age and was interested in the new rover as my dad had a M reg grey rover 620i at the time.

My dad also ordered me a die cast model of the 75 at the time which I still have to this day.

My earliest memory of seeing a 75 in person must have been around 2001 when someone visiting a neighbour had a copperleaf red Connoisseur that would often be parked opposite our house.

Around 2003 I went to the MG Rover dealership in Basildon with my dad to order a new headlight for his 2nd 620 he owned at the time, and I just remember turning around whilst at the parts counter and there was a black 260 on display. I didn't know it was a v8 at the time (was too young at around 10 years old at this point), I just saw the quad tail pipes and thought wow that must be a fast car. I remember having a good look inside it and how nice it was, must have been a se spec as it had full black leather seats.

In 2005 once MG Rover went under we started looking for a 75 as the prices plummeted. I remember seeing decent lowish mileage examples coming up for around £3-5k which was a bargain for a car around 3 years old on average.

In 2006 I found a mki 75 connoiseur up for sale in the next town from us that was exactly what my dad wanted, a black 75 Connoisseur with sandstone leather interior. I was 12 at the time and my dad secretly went and bought it whilst I was at school and presented it to me as a surprise at the end of the day when he got home from work. I had no idea he'd bought it so was a nice surprise. Still remember that moment clearly.

From 2006 to 2011 my dad owned this car and this is what started my love for modding and personalising my cars. I found my dad a walnut wood steering wheel, serpent wheels and the walnut dash kit which we added to the car.

In 2012 I bought my dad his current 75 at 18 when I first started working, and I bought my typhoon zt 1 month after turning 20 in Jan 2014.

Looking back I still remember seeing that ZT at the dealership brand new and thinking how nice it was and how nice it would be to have one some day. No idea we would have owned 7 of them in the coming years!
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 1st October 2020 at 11:55..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2020, 06:02   #6
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I have a copper leaf with sandstone. It's a manual .
214000 miles and climbing.
I couldn't part with it
Old 1st October 2020, 06:32   #7
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

My late wife was in the Royal London Hospital and I had to tell her that her car had been stolen, a Ford Fiesta, not the easiest of conversations to have.
“Ok, we’ll have to buy another Rover then”, was her answer. We did have a Rover 200 SDi.

I was thinking long term at that we would need a car with a large boot to get a wheelchair in. Went to a MG garage in Kent that had some Rovers and MG’s For Sale. Sitting on the forecourt was this gorgeous MG ZT in Solar Red. It was a 1.8.
Not knowing anything about the car but I knew I had to have it. Large boot, roomy car and ran just right. Easy to drive with plenty of power.
Turned into a money pit and it had to go.

But I had the ZT bug, and that’s when The Flying Banana came into my life.
Sadly my wife never got to ride in ole Yella. But I know she would have loved it. Since buying Banana I bought a second one, a V8 in Mirage Blue, Blue Thunder. Turned out to be another money pit. So it was sold and I bought a TF, then another ZT came into my life twice. Redfive the CDTi. Sold the TF and Redfive.
And another V8 rolled into my life, Pooky Bear.

Had Banana nearly 11 years and the Bear 5 years.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2020, 11:50   #8
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I’d had many BL/BMC/Austin-Rover cars over the years, and always liked the P4 and P5, but could never afford one.

Hence when the opportunity of a 75 Connie SE in Moonstone Green (with lots of lovely chrome) came up, it was a simple decision......