Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th January 2018, 18:34   #41
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's surprising that people don't realise claimants qualifying for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) forego their valid benefit entitlement (just as valid as income tax relief on the first 20% of income) merely to have the ability to be as mobile as those without a disability. It's a lifeline, no less, and registered motor dealers rely on it just as much as disabled people. If you want to know what it's like, try walking in their shoes for a mile before using hackneyed statements. If anyone wants to criticise, criticise those family members who abuse the scheme by using the car in the absence of the rightful claimant.
Old 24th January 2018, 20:21   #42
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

With so many working people earning only the minimum wage, and struggling to make end meet, it is a reasonable question to raise whether someone who can afford to top-up their DLA to purchase a high-end car should receive the DLA at all.

If we were not closing schools and hospitals due to a lack of finance, the above question would not arise. But, as it is, we are doing just that so IMHO the question is a reasonable one.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 23:01   #43
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
With so many working people earning only the minimum wage, and struggling to make end meet, it is a reasonable question to raise whether someone who can afford to top-up their DLA to purchase a high-end car should receive the DLA at all.

If we were not closing schools and hospitals due to a lack of finance, the above question would not arise. But, as it is, we are doing just that so IMHO the question is a reasonable one.
I would say that high end cars on the scheme are very rare, in reality most will be nil or low deposit cars.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 01:15   #44
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

mss
Thanked 1,268 Times in 784 Posts

End of quote

Your knowledge of the subject is negligible. You are forming an opinion based on populist guesswork and without reference to any sourced facts.

You seem to be linking a person’s presumed income to their eligibility for benefits when the only criterion in this case is one of disability. Your statement about closing hospitals for lack of finance is hopelessly wrong – google NHS and the amounts of grants received from government since 2010 to date. Although I have no interest in educating the uniformed or ill-informed – do your own due diligence and research rather than rely on rather ignorant dogma. To get you started see below.

If you cannot accept facts come up with authoritative sources for your opinion such as the numbers of people on minimum wage who are questioning this (OP) benefit or the number of so-called high-end cars concerned.

Finally, who said this particular question is unreasonable. You predicated your opinion with false premise and no research, not helpful to the OP.

Sir Thomas Hughes-Hallett, NHS Chief and philanthropist

Current: according to NHS England, by 2020 the service will need an extra £30 billion a year just to stand still. By comparison, the police cost us £12 billion. The government are now putting £116 billion in to NHS England every year, up from £100 billion when they came to power in 2010. In the three months between April and June, trusts overspent by a total of £1 billion, more than their combined deficit for the whole of 2014. Wait until winter…

That is continuing fact. The problem is not underfunding but overworking by exponential increasing of conditions being offered that were never intended. In addition, the invention of PFI by the previous government has only succeeded in introducing a profit where there was none, huge salaries and expense accounts for managers and multiple tiers of administrators devoid of clinical training. Please, do some homework before forming simplistic opinion.

Last edited by wraymond; 25th January 2018 at 01:18..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 07:32   #45
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post

Your knowledge of the subject is negligible. You are forming an opinion based on populist guesswork and without reference to any sourced facts.

Finally, who said this particular question is unreasonable. You predicated your opinion with false premise and no research, not helpful to the OP.
Hi Wraymond,

I would say it was unnecessary that you chose to make a global declaration on my knowledge in relation to the matter before commenting on my specific point.

With reference to the first point I have quoted above, how can my knowledge be negligible and based on "populist guesswork", when it was in fact based on what a lady on DLA in a nearby village drives? It was based on first hand knowledge, be it on a very limited sample set.

I did not say that anyone said the question was unreasonable, only that it was a reasonable question to ask. This, I believe, is a common approach to gently making a point - a question of style I believe.

With the comment "You seem to be linking a person’s presumed income to their eligibility for benefits when the only criterion in this case is one of disability" you are stating how things are in this case, not what would be more reasonable and just. It would not be unreasonable (my style I am afraid!) to question whether disability benefit should be linked to a person's wealth and income as is the case with many other benefits.

You are of course welcome to your point of view, which I respect.

Last edited by MSS; 25th January 2018 at 07:37..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 08:17   #46
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Whether your (anyone) view is that people with a disability should not have access to a Motability vehicle or not, someone wrote "put yourself in their shoes" I will take that a little further and say what if you have no shoes
because you have no legs due to some drunk driver.
You must always remember the words "There but for the Grace of God go I"
No one knows what is in the future, what terrible bad event could destroy
the world you woke up to this morning. One day anyone of us could need that benefit......what would you say then ?
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 10:50   #47
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Whether your (anyone) view is that people with a disability should not have access to a Motability vehicle or not, someone wrote "put yourself in their shoes" I will take that a little further and say what if you have no shoes
because you have no legs due to some drunk driver.
You must always remember the words "There but for the Grace of God go I"
No one knows what is in the future, what terrible bad event could destroy
the world you woke up to this morning. One day anyone of us could need that benefit......what would you say then ?
Ken.
I would hate to be in that position.

A very good friend suddenly developed a debilitating illness in his 40’s (heart and lungs), whilst working in the transport industry, he had a high powered and well paid job. His condition incapacitated him and he had to give up work. A PIP assessment went against him and he lost his benefit. A few months ago, I went to court with him to give support and speak up on his behalf. An independent panel at the court of appeal, squashed the DWP and the judgement was back dated and guaranteed to run for the next 10 years, with no further assessments.

In his case, the assessment process was flawed, the scoring and points, all weighted against him. You can imagine how disheartening it must have felt and how so many who are vulnerable or who suffer from mental illness must feel like giving up. Ultimately he won through, but it was a battle royal getting there.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 14:17   #48
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

That was very kind of you to support your friend and good for him, you can imagine how he must have been feeling through it all.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote