Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2018, 07:53   #101
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Post no. 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Did you miss #Post 60 in this thread Simon?
Mike, thank you for referring me back to this:
Quote:
... I've never done the cambelts on a KV6 ...
OK, so you are speaking without the benefit of practical experience. I am not. I have fitted the new belt single handedly. I have to tell you Mike that what you said here:
Quote:
... if you don't use locking tools you can easily move the sprockets to get the belt on.
... is untrue. It would be an arduous task either requiring three people or, as Brian correctly says, an octopus.

So, to return to the question of why Rover used ‘floating’ sprockets, it is clear to me that the belt cannot easily be fitted and tensioned properly by one person without them and that is, of course, the requirement of a main dealer’s workshop.

Simon
Old 26th May 2018, 08:05   #102
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I fit the locking pin in the flywheel, then do the rest by hand, using the timing tools as a guide only, I have found them to be a little cumbersome to use to get the timing spot on.
Can you be more specific please Andy? How exactly do you use them as “a guide”? How do you get the timing “spot on”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
That's just how I'd do it without the tools Mike
How you “would” do it without the tools Russ? Do you mean that you’ve done the job both with and without the tools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
If you think about it as the belt stretches slightly with wear the valve timing is going to be slightly out anyway compared to a new belt
Your use of the word “slightly” is an overstatement Russ. If the belt stretched by any significant degree it would jump out of the sprocket teeth! Therefore any stretch is academic and would have no practical effect on valve timing.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 26th May 2018 at 14:22.. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 26th May 2018, 08:17   #103
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
There is no need to mark the belt, although it is useful for keeping teeth right.
I am almost certain, that the marks on the belt will not return after two revolutions! But you can try. Don't worry if they don't! as it is of no consequence, as long as the timing marks all correspond.

And, to nail it to the mast, belts do not stretch! For all practical purposes.

I recently changed the belt on my Insignia & the belt from gates came pre marked with 3 lines which correspond to the timing marks on the pulleys,

I always give the engine a few rotations (3 maybe 4) by hand to ensure all is ok and realign timing marks before starting, The lines on the belt didn't match back up with the pulleys but the timing was spot on, The lines will however at some point line back up but not sure how many that would take.

Does the new belts for the KV6 come pre marked with timing marks/lines?
Old 26th May 2018, 11:07   #104
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
I recently changed the belt on my Insignia & the belt from gates came pre marked with 3 lines which correspond to the timing marks on the pulleys,

I always give the engine a few rotations (3 maybe 4) by hand to ensure all is ok and realign timing marks before starting, The lines on the belt didn't match back up with the pulleys but the timing was spot on, The lines will however at some point line back up but not sure how many that would take.

Does the new belts for the KV6 come pre marked with timing marks/lines?
That is why I specifically mentioned it. I can imagine it would be disconcerting to an operator if he sees the belt marks float past!
The number of revolutions can be found by dividing the number of teeth on the crank sprocket into the total number of teeth on the belt, which I seem to remember is 174. If that is an integer, it is a simple matter of waiting that number of turns, if not an integer, it becomes more complex, and would require more turns.

And Simon, you have an issue with the concept of tensioning the belt. That is a small operation which can easily be done by one person and requires no floating sprockets at all.
The tensioning moves the sprocket an insignificant amount, I guess max 1/2 a tooth or thereabouts. And it will straighten the belt uniformly. All is dictated by the correct number of teeth between the crank sprocket and the cam sprockets on the belt. If the belt is marked, you cannot go wrong at all.
If you had just left the sprockets where they were, that belt change would now have been done, dusted and correct!
Old 26th May 2018, 12:39   #105
kaiser
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Your use of the word “slightly” is an understatement Russ. If the belt stretched by any significant degree it would jump out of the sprocket teeth! Therefore any stretch is academic and would have no practical effect on valve timing.

Simon
Simon, "slightly" is, if anything an overstatement, or an exaggeration , but the rest is correct.
But be careful of Mike, he does not like "insignificant" so I guess he will not be too chuffed with "practical" either!:

Oh, and where are the piccies:wa ntpics:
Old 26th May 2018, 14:21   #106
SD1too

Default Grammatical correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Simon, "slightly" is, if anything an overstatement, or an exaggeration ...
Yes sorry, you are correct, I should have said “overstatement”.

Simon
Old 27th May 2018, 08:48   #107
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Mike, thank you for referring me back to this.

OK, so you are speaking without the benefit of practical experience. I am not. I have fitted the new belt single handedly. I have to tell you Mike that what you said here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc
... if you don't use locking tools you can easily move the sprockets to get the belt on.
Quote:
... is untrue. It would be an arduous task either requiring three people or, as Brian correctly says, an octopus.
My apologies Simon, I should have written 'If I don't use the locking tools I can easily move the sprockets to get the belt on', and not speak for anyone else.

I made it clear that I haven't replaced the belts on this particular engine to date, but have done so on many petrol and diesel engines over the years.

My day job regularly involves replacing timing belts on packaging machines, some having 8 or more of them.

I have always found the belts fitted in a horizontal plane the most difficult to replace, due to the sprockets (which can weigh more than 10 times those on cars) being held by ETP locking bushes, and if these are undone they can fall off and hit the unfortunate person below.

In all honesty, I find the automotive timing belts I have replaced a stroll in the park in comparison.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 27th May 2018 at 08:54..
Old 27th May 2018, 10:14   #108
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
I should have written 'If I don't use the locking tools I can easily move the sprockets to get the belt on',

surely, unless one has the "benefit of practical experience" in doing it this way one cannot comment on how arduous or not the task would be. One could only theorise or imagine and theory and imagination do not always relate directly to practicality.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Ennine; 27th May 2018 at 15:01.. Reason: sp
Old 27th May 2018, 13:53   #109
kaiser
This is my second home

True enough.
Old 27th May 2018, 13:57   #110
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes, and I have used this technique many times, just not on this particular engine.

If is good enough for Big Russ and Trikey then it is good enough for me.
Closed Thread