Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th November 2018, 15:10   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default New mattress

I while ago, I spent a week in hospital and they had these new I have just taken delivery of a new memory foam mattresses. Maybe I was rather 'out of it anyway', but I seemed to sleep rather well on them, so I thought to maybe look at getting one. Nowt much wrong with old one, it was still good and firm, but....

Reports seemed to suggest the usual memory foam could be rather hot in warm weather, so I delayed until this week. When I came across Coolblue memory foam, which is supposed to overcome the problem, I ordered one standard width double. The delivery tracking said it weighed just 5kg, which rather puzzled me and that it would arrive tightly rolled and vacuum packed - hmmm.

Weight when it arrived today was nearer 40kg. I opened it in a tight space (mistake) - You have seen the comic film scenes where they accidently triggered those inflatable boats in a confined space. Suggestions were that it would take at least three hours to get to full size.

Testing time tomorrow night when it gets swapped in.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 15:26   #2
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

https://youtu.be/lNI8iXz1FMg

Last edited by wullie480; 30th November 2018 at 15:33..
wullie480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 16:09   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post

Something like that

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 30th November 2018, 21:40   #4
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Be interesting to read the results on this.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 11:08   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post

Some instructions suggest they need to be left for 72 hours to fully expand/ inflate themselves, others suggest three or four hours - so I settled on overnight and now it is on the bed, ready for a test tonight. It was much lighter than the mattress we took off, a firm 'orthopaedic' mattress.

I will let you know how it goes.

Old 2nd December 2018, 09:58   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post

Impression after only one night...

Jean said 'its all right!' which I guess is a thumbs up.

Me - The ends and sides seem unsupported, sit on the edge to put your slippers on and you sink right down. Fine if you sit not on the edge.

It didn't spec. how thick the foam was, but you can feel the spring tops around 2" below the surface, around the sides, so the foam must be around 2" thick. Its was supposed to be medium/ firm, but whilst firm felt quite soft but supportive under you.

One of the dogs woke me at 2am from a deep sleep (%*#@, to go out. I noticed as I got up I had left a definite impression in the foam (as is supposed to happen), but ten minutes later when I got back in, it had gone. It felt really comfortable and I didn't wake up with my usual sore back this morning.

Nowt wrong with the old mattress, but I do like this one better. I am sure Jean will appreciate the fact that it doesn't require turning over, as does a normal mattress. She has always insisted on managing this turning over on her own and it was incredibly heavy. This one is much more manageable anyway.

I briefly considered a memory foam topper for our existing mattress, but arrived at the conclusion that it would make the whole thing 2" higher/ thicker and fitted sheets would no longer fit on it. Besides, this full mattress wasn't much different in cost.

The Coolblue is supposed to be a later development of memory foam, less inclined to be hot in warm weather and supposed to recover quicker from your impression in the foam.

This is the one I bought and not expensive..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332489312827

Old 2nd December 2018, 17:41   #7
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Thanks for taking the time to report on this. I have toyed with memory foam for a few years now and yet again I feel the need to rule it out.One reason is the heat issue, that would cause major problems for me (I accept this model seems to help with that), your comment about the edge compressing is again a no-no for me. The other issue I think would be a problem is the memory foam itself. This idea of sinking into and being cradled by a mattress may restrict mobility enough to be a problem.
Do hope it works out well for you. Certainly not an expensive venture to find out.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 17:12   #8
OliverTailor
Spammer. Banned.

Rover 75 Saloo

My wife and I bought a latex mattress3 years ago and it is by far the best mattress we've ever slept on. Had to give up the inner spring mattress on account of pressure on the left side of my ribs. After having a couple ribs cracked, finding a comfortable bed was a huge challenge. Cost wasn't even a factor anymore. BTW the spam links I inserted into my forums posts have been removed and I am now banned.

Last edited by OliverTailor; 14th February 2019 at 05:53..
OliverTailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 17:50   #9
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

i purchased one of those silent night memory foams thats vacuum packed and rolled up when you get it. opened it up and was a bout 2 inch thick . by the time i went to bed it was about 10 inches thick . best nights sleep ive ever had
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 18:36   #10
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

We bought an extra thick tufted 12" memory foam sprung mattress some years ago, it consists of 13.5 gauge bonnell springs and 3" layer of memory foam.

Blooming lovely for the first six months, but then we found the memory foam to have lost its memory The mattress seems to no longer bounce back, has sunken to our body shape.

Time for a new one me thinks.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote