Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th March 2018, 22:12   #1
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Default Are Tesco on the way down?

Usually do my weekly shop at Tesco on a Thursday morning, and accept that stocks on shelves may be a bit low, ready for replenishment before the weekend. However, due to circumstances, I did my weekly shop after lunch today, and the shelves were even more bare. This coupled with shorter "use by" dates suggests a tightening of their corporate belts, or perhaps my Branch is just badly managed.

Any others found similar experiences?
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 22:25   #2
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

I think everyone has been panicky poo buying because of the slightly adverse weather ??
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 22:41   #3
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Usually do my weekly shop at Tesco on a Thursday morning, and accept that stocks on shelves may be a bit low, ready for replenishment before the weekend. However, due to circumstances, I did my weekly shop after lunch today, and the shelves were even more bare. This coupled with shorter "use by" dates suggests a tightening of their corporate belts, or perhaps my Branch is just badly managed.

Any others found similar experiences?
Our local Morrison's is just the same, low stocks and short dated stocks. Potatoes with 3 days shelf life!
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 23:13   #4
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Tesco have been on the downward slide for a good while now. I can't comment about stock on the shelves but they are not the company they used to be. Been a tesco customer for a long time but the decline in standards overall saw me switch to Asda a couple of years ago. They used to have a very good customer ethic (solid inside info on that) but I have little time for them now.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 23:21   #5
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Visited a B.M. store today,they are one step up from a pound shop,was amazed how much they have extended their range of goods. Also noticed how cold it was in ASDA,they may be turning the heating down to save money.
May be the trend is reversing and we will soon be back to the corner shop.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 23:51   #6
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I would imagine that many places are playing catch-up after the debilitating 2 whole days of snow fall.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 06:45   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
I would imagine that many places are playing catch-up after the debilitating 2 whole days of snow fall.
Yes I am sure it is something to do with the snow last week, several of my deliveries have been delayed this week all blamed on last weeks snow. One arrievd on Friday and it was booked in on Monday .
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 06:48   #8
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Our local Morrison's is just the same, low stocks and short dated stocks. Potatoes with 3 days shelf life!
When I was a kid we grew most of our own vegetables. My father would lift main crop potatoes dry them and then store them in hessian sacks and they would last us for many months,yet supermarkets sell with 3 days of recommended shelf life.
I suspect that one of the reasons for the shortages is the 1000s of tonnes of good food thrown in the bin every day.
Cheers

Last edited by Ian G; 10th March 2018 at 06:53..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 07:37   #9
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
When I was a kid we grew most of our own vegetables. My father would lift main crop potatoes dry them and then store them in hessian sacks and they would last us for many months,yet supermarkets sell with 3 days of recommended shelf life.
I suspect that one of the reasons for the shortages is the 1000s of tonnes of good food thrown in the bin every day.
Cheers

A farmer gave us a big bag of spuds around Xmas nice and muddy, they tasted great lasted weeks. The weather caused shortages I think, was also thinking does anyone make their own bread these days, sure enough only 1 pack of strong bread flour left on the shelf in our local ASDA.
Tesco are big and can sort themselves out I'm sure, hope they are not getting in a mess..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 07:52   #10
munroman
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

About 10 years ago, Tesco announced plans to build what would have been the largest superstore in Scotland in the small town I was living in.

The reason, ASDA had built a large store in the adjacent town, and Tesco wanted a bigger one.

The other shops in the town would have been decimated, and the Council were so useless and approving of everything that Tesco said that suspicion was aroused as to how, let's say, unbiased, certain officials were.

A group of us got together, and managed to fundraise and produce an independent report showing how flawed Tescos case was, this helped to persuade enough Councillors to vote to reject Tescos plans.

Tesco then chose to appeal, which led to a hugely expensive enquiry, however, by this time, people's backs were up, and funds poured in to pay for expert witnesses on our side.
I think Tesco thought they would bulldoze thongs through, and were genuinely shocked by people objecting.

They were not allowed to build the store, one advantage we had was that we had Tesco employees feeding back to us how things were in the store, sales dropped 30 per cent, and never recovered.
The original store got a lick of paint, and the local shops got together and realised they had to do something, the shopping street has been done up, they hold things like car shows, and business is up.

Use local stores as much possible, one statistic we unearthed, if you spend £1 in a chain store, 8p stays locally, the rest going to shareholders, etc.
£1 in a local shop, and over £1 stays locally, as they use local suppliers, accountants, cleaners, etc, it keeps towns alive.

Tesco lost it when the new boss was the son of a Tesco boss, they believed their own way was the only way.

I for one, apart from the effect on their unfortunate staff, would have no problem seeing the demise of these monsters, the recent snow events show that the supply chain that now exists cannot feed this country robustly, we need to downsize and localise, for everyone's benefit.
munroman is offline   Reply With Quote