Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2018, 18:49   #1
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

Default V6 screw up

This is bad. I have just been trough the challenge of replacing the timing belts on my 1999 2.0 V6 all being very careful with the lock pin being in place all the time, marks here and there, turning it several times by hand after the replacement to ensure everything lines up as before.

Now that I start it up it runs on max 5 cylinders and there is also a ticking noise. Kind of like some valves being stuck open. I had a look into the front three cylinders with a snake cam, and there were no marks or debris.

What have I done wrong? It is ready for the junk yard? I am so tired of it.

Thanks,

Jens.
jens_munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 02:33   #2
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Have you checked for spark, and fuel.?
Get some fault codes.
You haven't broken a cam?

Be sure, if it turns by hand and pin has been in throughout, you won't have a bent valve>

Get codes find cylinder, concentrate on wire, spark plug, coil, injector.

Som sagt mange gange foer, ikke verdens bedste motor!
Old 8th June 2018, 05:43   #3
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

I forgot to mention that: No fault codes.

However, I removed the crank pulled as suggested in the Haynes manual by putting it in 5th gear and the wife pressing the brake pedal hard to hold it. It was hard to get out and I wonder if the crank could have been damaged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Have you checked for spark, and fuel.?
Get some fault codes.
You haven't broken a cam?

Be sure, if it turns by hand and pin has been in throughout, you won't have a bent valve>

Get codes find cylinder, concentrate on wire, spark plug, coil, injector.

Som sagt mange gange foer, ikke verdens bedste motor!
Old 8th June 2018, 05:57   #4
kaiser
This is my second home

The crank could not be damaged from that, guaranteed.!
Use a better scan tool, there must be a code if you have a misfire.
Old 8th June 2018, 06:52   #5
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

On thing I do remember was that the notch on the crank timing belt sprocket was not straight up but a little counter clockwise with the locking pin in place. I didn't touch it, but upon reflection shouldn't it be that?
Old 8th June 2018, 07:43   #6
kaiser
This is my second home

A short answer: No
I think it is related to the belt change, somehow, but I don't think it would be timing related.
What scanner did you use?
Have you tested all coils, even those difficult to get at?
Have you checked spark plugs.?
Done compression testing?
Is (are) your manifold(s) on tight, no leaks?
Tested spark plug leads?

If you don't get a fault code, then proceed as follows:

Run engine and remove one spark plug lead at a time, until you find the culprit. You can hear it, because the revs will not be affected, when you pull the plug to the offending cylinder.

When you have the offending cylinder, do a compression test first, which will quickly tell you if there is a bent valve. If compression is OK, you look for spark and/or fuel.

Let us know
Old 8th June 2018, 08:00   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Jens,

I have just completed the same job on my car. I have to ask you one very important question: did you use the special service tools?

My second question concerns the timing belt tensioner. After fitting the new front belt, did you set this up according to the procedure given only by manufacturer INA?

The notch on the crankshaft sprocket didn’t perfectly align with the “speech bubble” on my car and other members have reported the same so you can forget about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_munk View Post
... all being very careful with the lock pin being in place all the time ...
Ahhh. How did you remove the rear belts and sprockets with the flywheel locking pin in place?
Quote:
It is ready for the junk yard?
No, but you’ll probably have to brace yourself for doing it again using a different method. I should be able to help when you’ve replied to my questions.

Simon
Old 8th June 2018, 08:19   #8
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

I have some standard ELM 327 Bluetooth scanner connected to my phone and using an Android app called Torque. It has worked fine so far and the last things I used it for was actually the VIS servos on the Rover.

How long time does the engine have to run to start reporting misfires and the like?

No I haven't checked coils, plugs, cables and compression yet, since they were all fine before and I didn't touch them (deliberately, at least). But I guess I will eventually have to.

Replaced all six manifold seals with new ones as well as idlers, water pump, thermostat and the two water pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
A short answer: No
I think it is related to the belt change, somehow, but I don't think it would be timing related.
What scanner did you use?
Have you tested all coils, even those difficult to get at?
Have you checked spark plugs.?
Done compression testing?
Is (are) your manifold(s) on tight, no leaks?
Tested spark plug leads?

If you don't get a fault code, then proceed as follows:

Run engine and remove one spark plug lead at a time, until you find the culprit. You can hear it, because the revs will not be affected, when you pull the plug to the offending cylinder.

When you have the offending cylinder, do a compression test first, which will quickly tell you if there is a bent valve. If compression is OK, you look for spark and/or fuel.

Let us know
Old 8th June 2018, 08:23   #9
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

As already said, depending on how you removed the rear sprockets, my first thought was broken camshaft.
How did you hold the camshafts still when you loosened & tightened the bolts?
Another thought is that if you had a stray spark from a coli pack etc, that would also give you a misfire of course but you may also hear a kind of 'ticking' noise.
Personally, I would remove both cam covers & physically check the camshafts & also re-align all the timing (with cam covers removed) & check the position of the cam lobes.
I just noticed that you changed the thermostat:
Did you remove the inlet manifolds to do this & if so, did you replace the gaskets & 'O' rings?
Check for an air leak by spraying penetrating fluid around the manifold area with the engine running.
Are all injectors connected securely?
You really need to establish which cylinder is misfiring really so you can concentrate on that cylinder.
Again, as already suggested, a compression test will also help.

Last edited by mh007; 8th June 2018 at 08:30..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 08:28   #10
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Simon,

I did buy a set of tools, but besides the locking pin, I ended up not using it. The two short belts are actually not too difficult and easy to check with marks. And yes, I did temporarily remove the lock pin loosening and tightening those two bolts.

Jens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Jens,

I have just completed the same job on my car. I have to ask you one very important question: did you use the special service tools?

My second question concerns the timing belt tensioner. After fitting the new front belt, did you set this up according to the procedure given only by manufacturer INA?

The notch on the crankshaft sprocket didn’t perfectly align with the “speech bubble” on my car and other members have reported the same so you can forget about that.

Ahhh. How did you remove the rear belts and sprockets with the flywheel locking pin in place?

No, but you’ll probably have to brace yourself for doing it again using a different method. I should be able to help when you’ve replied to my questions.

Simon