Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th April 2020, 19:56   #11
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Progress report:-
Well,I've actually managed to get one bolt out now - the easier bottom one.
I found a 6 point 13mm socket in my 1/4" drive set but the 1/4" extension bar was too springy and wouldn't do anything. Luckily I had adapters to step it up to 3/8" and again to 1/2" to allow me to use a long 1/2" extension bar which I could then access from under the car.

I supported the ratchet end of the bar with a scissor jack but even with the 1/2" ratchet it wouldn't budge.
Finally I used my torque wrench which is 30cms long and that did the trick.

Access to the top bolt is very limited and before I lash out on a set of Irwins, I'm just going to try a 13mm 6 point ring spanner which hopefully will turn up soon.
chicochapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2020, 21:18   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochapman View Post
Progress report:-
Well,I've actually managed to get one bolt out now - the easier bottom one.
I found a 6 point 13mm socket in my 1/4" drive set but the 1/4" extension bar was too springy and wouldn't do anything. Luckily I had adapters to step it up to 3/8" and again to 1/2" to allow me to use a long 1/2" extension bar which I could then access from under the car.

I supported the ratchet end of the bar with a scissor jack but even with the 1/2" ratchet it wouldn't budge.
Finally I used my torque wrench which is 30cms long and that did the trick.

Access to the top bolt is very limited and before I lash out on a set of Irwins, I'm just going to try a 13mm 6 point ring spanner which hopefully will turn up soon.

I hope the bolt undid within the limit of your torque wrench setting or you can ruin the calibration.
While others may, I would never use a torque wrench as a socket wrench for undoing nuts or bolts, it is a "precision" tool

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2020, 22:10   #13
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I hope the bolt undid within the limit of your torque wrench setting or you can ruin the calibration.
While others may, I would never use a torque wrench as a socket wrench for undoing nuts or bolts, it is a "precision" tool

macafee2

You're quite right. It happened to be set at 90 Lbs-ft and didn't click.

Malc

Last edited by chicochapman; 29th April 2020 at 09:04.. Reason: Corrrected the units of torque.
Old 29th April 2020, 07:49   #14
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Malc you need the correct tools for the job mate - a decent 1/2 inch drive set for these bolts. Using 1/4 drive with adapters risks them snapping and you don't want that happening when you a have all your weight on it.

And as Ian said, torque wrenches should only be used to tighten nuts and bolts - they only go both ways so that you can tighten left hand threads.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 09:18   #15
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Mike, you're right but at the moment, I'm having to improvise with the tools I've got. I couldn't find my 1/2" 13mm socket which was why I used the step up combination but plus points for Draper Tools as their small socket held firm. I have 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" socket sets and various ring spanners.
Having later found the 13mm 1/2" socket, it will fit, but there's no space to fit any thing to drive it with ( even with a universal joint) plus 13mm and 1/2" ring spanners are slipping.
I've put the torque wrench back in its protective tube!

Malc
Old 29th April 2020, 10:39   #16
Steady Eddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Easiest way order 4 new bolts.
Then soak in plusgas and remove with 13mm IRWIN extractor bolt using a 19mm open ended spanner on bolt extractor.......... Job done.
Steady Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 20:44   #17
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

I'm a great believer in Plus Gas myself but in this instance I don't think it helps too much as the mounting bolt passes through the caliper carrier and only screws into the trailing arm. On the bolt I removed, you can see only the last section of the shank has screwed in and the Plus Gas might not reach that far.

(bit of camera distortion there)

Anyway, I can see that Irwins are the ultimate answer but I'll give the 6 point ring spanner a go when it turns up - hope fully Friday.
As an aside, I've had EBay parts in the postal system for 15 days before they turned up. Still, plenty of time at the moment !
Old 30th April 2020, 08:40   #18
Steady Eddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

In all honesty the Irwin bolt extractors are a god send, I would highly recommend in investing in a set,you will not regret it.
If you do remember to use a 19mm spanner on the extractor as opposed to a ratchet.
All the best
Steady Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 09:14   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Eddy View Post
In all honesty the Irwin bolt extractors are a god send, I would highly recommend in investing in a set,you will not regret it.
If you do remember to use a 19mm spanner on the extractor as opposed to a ratchet.
All the best
Irwin may be good but and it is a big but, they do not do a full metric set.
Their sets or at least the ones I have seen combine imperial and metric extractors. I would think for our cars a pure metric set would be better.
When Irwin have worked, I totally agree, a god send.
I just ask, is there a better set?

macafee2
Old 30th April 2020, 09:15   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Eddy View Post
All the best
why a spanner and not a ratchet?

macafee2