Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2020, 18:19   #11
Zeeblum
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Andy has yet to confirm to any of the club officials that he's working on clutch replacements again, and indeed is still just a regional secretary on here not a trader as before.

I would suggest you contact actros who it was that announced andy's return to ask Andy Willi to get in touch with you again regarding this outstanding issue you have. Clearly there is a good line of communication between the two of them.

For what it's worth (and it might not be much) the National Clutch and LUK slave cylinder Andy fitted to my ZT-T on 11th of January 2015 is still working perfectly on my car with it having covered an additional 27,783 miles so far. I can only speak as I find.
Thank you. Feedback, very much in line with the Status. It is possible that the National clutch couldn’t withstand the 160map. It is the reason I had the clutch done as mine was perfectly good.
I was advised that it really wouldn’t cope with the map, so did it in preparation over the same weekend.
Did you also have yours mapped??
It’s also interesting to note differing feedback. One wrote ‘oh dear, I’d not fit a £35 National clutch’ others have clearly deemed them as poor quality and most seem to advocate Luk and Borg and beck.
Luk seem the most likely sensible component parts, as they make every bit of a clutch kit and are therefor the most compatible.

Last edited by Zeeblum; 12th October 2020 at 18:43.. Reason: Fluidity
Zeeblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2020, 18:50   #12
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

No, mine is not a diesel so a 160 remap doesn’t apply, however it is a petrol 2.5 V6 190 ZT so already has a higher bhp than the 160 remap.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2020, 18:51   #13
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Just an observation.
Rear suspension arms, poor quality from India being sold here.
Clutch failure due to a bad batch perhaps?
Belts failing or is it the idlers and tensioner? The debate goes on.

I’ve decided my TF is my last MGR car. Despite being great fun to drive and so far reliable I am becoming disappointed with build quality issues. There is no cure for that. It’s the way it was made and will keep me busy this winter when it’s taken off the road.

Be it a hobby or a passion, I’m thinking the cars are moving away from everyday transport and becoming weekend and showcars. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but I would not rely on a manual for reliable transport. Autos will dominate the remaining cars very soon if not already.
Old 12th October 2020, 20:42   #14
cossie dunc
I really should get out more.......

rover 75 contemporary se cdti + rover 75 connie cdti work horse

The national brand is a well known “budget brand” within the trade, my experience of them has never been good, so much so that I was never brave enough to supply and fit one to a 75 or Zt. Andy was fitting these for the same price I was fitting Luk units, granted he was doing it on your driveway.

Hopefully you’ll get a satisfactory conclusion and be able to save your car.

Scotland's rover 75/mg zt service,repair & enthusiast centre

Used parts.....servicing.......mechanical repairs.......modifications

Call Duncan 07415 251 705
cossie dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2020, 20:46   #15
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Peace of mind.

I fitted LUK at more expense because I wanted to personally feel it was a better product and wouldn't fail early, it's done 5000 miles with the genuine Rover slave and I trust it not to fail early, I wonder how many customers of the Wad of the clutch get in their cars with the confidence I have with my clutch swap. When this all blew up a few years ago I told him that I could do it cheaper than him, I just choose not to. I didn't then know he was using cheap tat, it makes it more incredulous that he made a living out of shafting members, he posted a red angry face icon at my questioning his credibility and said how angry he was. I'll happily tell him to his face he's a shyster should we ever meet.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2020, 20:47   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
No, mine is not a diesel so a 160 remap doesn’t apply, however it is a petrol 2.5 V6 190 ZT so already has a higher bhp than the 160 remap.
Its the torque that will do the damage Paul not the BHP.
Old 12th October 2020, 20:49   #17
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie dunc View Post
The national brand is a well known “budget brand” within the trade, my experience of them has never been good, so much so that I was never brave enough to supply and fit one to a 75 or Zt. Andy was fitting these for the same price I was fitting Luk units, granted he was doing it on your driveway.

He was also charging for travel expenses so it was also pure profit.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2020, 21:42   #18
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

My clutch packed up last week bearing leaking
I fitted it myself ,14000 miles ago 2 years November.
I can't remember the make but I don't recall it being expensive.
Iv purchased Borg & beck this time . Hopefully this will last obviously I'm replacing the lot inside the housing .
It's not really a big job just inconvenient . I really feel for anyone who has to pay for the labour then gets shunned by the person who supplied and fitted the clutch . Even if they offered a reduced labour costs and you supply the parts it would be something .
Old 12th October 2020, 22:42   #19
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie dunc View Post

In my opinion these and many other parts are not even 'budget' brands, they're quite simply very expensive landfill that is not fit for purpose and should be returned to supplier. In a day and age where we are supposed to be more environmentally friendly, I can't understand how manufacturers are getting away with producing rubbish and charging us for the 'privilege'!
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 07:25   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

When I have seen in the past derogatory comments about said person I was unsure if there was any truth in them seeing how others described him so well. This thread leads me to think those that were derogatory may have had a point.

Changing a clutch is not for the faint hearted and I can understand why people pay to have it done. If you have space, time and willing to buy the tools it is a job that can be done DIY.

Who to use and what parts to use is a mine field.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote