Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th October 2020, 14:01   #31
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Have a go and see just how difficult it is to try and find out the true environmental impact of building a car before it even turns a wheel on the road.

You start the journey from digging the minerals etc. out of the ground but all we ever hear about is how wonderful they are when they're driving around saving the planet.

Maybe there's some vested interests in play somewhere.

And how is HM Govt going to recover all the lost ££££'s in car tax/fuel tax etc. I wonder

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 14:44   #32
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r44flyer View Post
This is about encouraging people to take up electric vehicles ...
For which new nuclear power stations are being built which have their own brand of pollution: highly dangerous radioactive waste which needs to be stored for thousands of years. And when something goes wrong as it did at Windscale and Chernobyl?

I can appreciate the advantages of electric cars though, once the charging problem has been sorted out. They also have the advantage of keeping the wheels of commerce turning. I'd like to see leisure craft for hire on our rivers and canals abandon diesel engines for electric traction but that wouldn't attract many votes at the general election.

Simon
Old 13th October 2020, 15:00   #33
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
I found a few on autotrader. Nissan Leaf, Citroen zero, peugeot ion, Renault fluenze, and for a little over £5000 there’s the Renault Zoe.

I did out of interest do a quick insurance quote though and the ones I tried were more expensive on insurance than the ZT!
I would also gen up on battery life expectancy and cost of replacement plus cold weather performance.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 15:50   #34
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
I would also gen up on battery life expectancy and cost of replacement plus cold weather performance.

Kev
Met up with my ex MD a couple of years ago, he was a member of the institute of electro mechanical engineers.
He told me he was looking at a Nissan Leaf, but when he really quizzed the salesman he was told to expect a winter mileage of under 100 miles per full charge.

I did some research into replacing a Leaf battery pack, comes out in the region of £5000.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 16:25   #35
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Have a go and see just how difficult it is to try and find out the true environmental impact of building a car before it even turns a wheel on the road.
There are estimates around but they seem to be based on differing criteria such as main electrical costs (cheap in China).
Quote:
You start the journey from digging the minerals etc. out of the ground but all we ever hear about is how wonderful they are when they're driving around saving the planet.
True them Greenies never mention the start of things but by heavens them dumper trucks are true men toys!
Quote:
Maybe there's some vested interests in play somewhere.
Oh yes and how! If the industry is intrinsic to your whatever country you name and is a major employer of people then they will exert influence in whatever way they can
Quote:
And how is HM Govt going to recover all the lost ££££'s in car tax/fuel tax etc. I wonder
[/quote]
Don't work those worry beads, the govt will find ways - perhaps a road mileage tax?

regards, Kev
Old 13th October 2020, 16:32   #36
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Only environmentally savings once you reach 50,000 miles according to Volvo, by which time the battery will be on its last legs!!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 16:40   #37
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Met up with my ex MD a couple of years ago, he was a member of the institute of electro mechanical engineers.
He told me he was looking at a Nissan Leaf, but when he really quizzed the salesman he was told to expect a winter mileage of under 100 miles per full charge.

I did some research into replacing a Leaf battery pack, comes out in the region of £5000.
Thanks for that confirmation and insight. The majority of people will realise too late when stuck in traffic, in a snow storm that amber reading for the usual journey was not sufficient as only 60% was really available.

Kev
Old 13th October 2020, 16:45   #38
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Only environmentally savings once you reach 50,000 miles according to Volvo, by which time the battery will be on its last legs!!
Another good pointer Mr. Coolguy! But no future negatives please ;-)

Kev
Old 13th October 2020, 17:51   #39
r44flyer
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi 135+

There will never be zero impact on the environment when it comes to technology, especially cars. There's always clean up to be done, some ways will be cleaner than others, and electric vehicle technology has the potential for far easier waste management in the future coupled with a fuel source that has the potential to be 100% renewable. Internal combustion just doesn't have that, it is dirty and finite.

Unlimited 'free' energy will make waste recycling far easier in the form or solar, but nuclear is a comparitively low impact method of generation. Nuclear waste has its own issues obviously, but with space vehicle technology improving why not fire it into the sun?!

Electric vehicles and battery technology are at the start of their technology curve at the moment, who knows where they will be, and how recyclable and reusable their components will be etc in 50 years time. People won't embrace the technology if you ask then nicely, you have to force them, through legislation and monetary means. People banging on about how NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- the range is... well, of course it is! Did you think car manufacturers didn't design and manufacture their first generation of electric vehicles with the best available technology? People want a straight swap for diesel range and they wanted it yesterday. Patience! This is for future generations not ours.

It's difficult to believe that this planet isn't screwed anyway, given the numbers of people living on it. It's an exercise in slowing things down now and stopping us all choking to death before we've sorted free, clean energy for eveyone.
r44flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 19:18   #40
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

A suggestion for you if you are looking for a petrol car with space.
I bought my Peugeot 308 SW a year ago and it’s done 15,000 faultless miles already. Paid £3500 for a 62 plate estate with a good history. It swallows up 2 sets of alloy wheels with the seats folded. I’ve had a tow bar fitted to pull my trailer and it tows well.
Ok it’s a diesel but it made enough impression to make me look for a petrol version for my wife.
The petrol version is ULEZ friendly and will return 45 mpg on a long run. Very spacious and well screwed together. I pay £228 insurance and VED is £125 per year. Diesel is as low as £30 per annum which is ironic as it’s the “dirty” car!
There is lots of choice out there so take a long look.