Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st July 2021, 16:53   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Problem with Karcher gun and attachments.

The gun on my Karcher pressure washer won't accept the bayonet fitting on any of the attachment tools.The spring will compress when pressed with the fingers so I can't see what the problem is.Anyone had this problem or any idea's what is wrong?

Thanks.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2021, 16:58   #2
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
The gun on my Karcher pressure washer won't accept the bayonet fitting on any of the attachment tools.The spring will compress when pressed with the fingers so I can't see what the problem is.Anyone had this problem or any idea's what is wrong?

Thanks.
I don't know how old it is, but I think some of the newer pieces wont
fit the older stuff??

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2021, 17:39   #3
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
I don't know how old it is, but I think some of the newer pieces wont
fit the older stuff??

Rev.
Hi Julian

The tools are the one's that were supplied with the Lance/gun when new. All of a sudden they will not press into the Lance to be twisted and locked.
Old 1st July 2021, 20:21   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Sadly a lot of this stuff is not made to last, I used to sell some of this stuff.

A lot of the Karcher stuff sold in DIY shops is only designed to last 30 or 40 cycles, sounds ridiculous but when you think about it who uses one of these every week or weekend and even if they use it every other weekend that will get it through the warranty period easily.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2021, 20:57   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Hi Julian

The tools are the one's that were supplied with the Lance/gun when new. All of a sudden they will not press into the Lance to be twisted and locked.
check that the locking ring on the lance/nozzle etc has not become detached and stuck onto the gun. Mine did this often. It involved removing the fitting (from around the outlet pipe of the lance) with pointy nosed pliers and refitting along with a new o-ring.

If yours has gone this way, it will almost certainly need a new o - ring, and they are an odd size, being slightly thicker than standard ones.

I have now replaced all of my fittings, but still use the now 9 year old pressure washer. Slowly replacing various components to 1/4" quick release fittings and heavy duty lance. Almost certainly you will not need new lance, or accessories, but rather the o-rings and locking fitting, like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KAER5-2-640...c=1&th=1&psc=1

If you plan to change the accessories, I would advise looking for alternative. Often the same price, or cheaper, but normally better quality than the Karcher offerings.

eg Clean Tec

or

Equip2clean

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2021, 21:04   #6
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Sadly a lot of this stuff is not made to last, I used to sell some of this stuff.

A lot of the Karcher stuff sold in DIY shops is only designed to last 30 or 40 cycles, sounds ridiculous but when you think about it who uses one of these every week or weekend and even if they use it every other weekend that will get it through the warranty period easily.

Hi
I've probably had about 10 years and it has performed flawlessly apart from having to go back to Karcher on one occasion for an internal leak.

I'm suspecting the fault lies with the gun as none of the attachment will press into it.I am just confused why not because as mentioned the spring compresses.If a new gun is needed I don't begrudge that,it's given sterling service over the years
Old 1st July 2021, 21:29   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Hi
I've probably had about 10 years and it has performed flawlessly apart from having to go back to Karcher on one occasion for an internal leak.

I'm suspecting the fault lies with the gun as none of the attachment will press into it.I am just confused why not because as mentioned the spring compresses.If a new gun is needed I don't begrudge that,it's given sterling service over the years
Compare all of your inlet points of the attachments, I bet one looks very different. Then look around the outlet pipe of the lance.

One of the 'safety plugs' (yellow fitting below) will have worn and wedged onto the end of the outlet pipe.

If you remove and refit it to the accessory, it will almost certainly leak, as there is an o-ring between the 'plug' and the accessory. Hopefully you will have just lost the o-ring, and it hasnt blown into the accessory pipe - which will result in loss of performance.

Removal is simple enough, but it will happen on a regular basis unless the 'plug' is replaced with new (as me how I know lol).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2021, 21:43   #8
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Compare all of your inlet points of the attachments, I bet one looks very different. Then look around the outlet pipe of the lance.

One of the 'safety plugs' (yellow fitting below) will have worn and wedged onto the end of the outlet pipe.

If you remove and refit it to the accessory, it will almost certainly leak, as there is an o-ring between the 'plug' and the accessory. Hopefully you will have just lost the o-ring, and it hasnt blown into the accessory pipe - which will result in loss of performance.

Removal is simple enough, but it will happen on a regular basis unless the 'plug' is replaced with new (as me how I know lol).

Thanks I'll check that.I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem after 10 years use.
Old 3rd July 2021, 12:50   #9
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

I think there are 2 possibilities:

The lances and other accessories of the original Karchers don't fit the new generation

There must be no pressure in a new generation Karcher before you fit or remove accessories i.e. disconnect the water supply and press the trigger on the lance to release any pressure in the system

Faulty o-rings will just leak, they don't stop accessories being fitted. If you buy replacements measure the old one, but they are cheap online

I bought a new one a few months ago and wish I hadn't. The new connectors are very fiddly and the washer itself seems flimsy.