Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th July 2021, 13:05   #1
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts
Default Interesting reading on my new car insurance policy

So, just renewed my car insurance and after the mandatory phone call to get the real price, I was informed the policy was the same. when reading through the policy I came across this

Third party liabilities
Old wording.
What is covered:
You using a Motor car not belonging to you and not hired to you under a hire purchased agreement or leased to you under a lease agreement.

New wording.
What is covered:
You using a motor car not belonging or loaned to you and not hired to you under a hire purchased agreement or leased to you under a lease agreement.

Now as I read that if I move the wife's car out of the drive to get mine out the new wording (loaned) means I am not insured to do so as I am using it with her permission? where as before I was.

For us it's not an issue as we are both named drivers on each others policy but it looks more like third party cover is being removed from policies in general. I have previously seen partner or spouse wording included to exclude cover. Read your policies carefully folks

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2021, 16:17   #2
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Dave, as the car does not belong to you, it seems to me you should seek an answer from your insurers. Er, in writing. I don't think it could be considered 'a loan' car, but best to have it in writing.
Presumably, you are not a named driver on your wife's policy?
Old 9th July 2021, 16:55   #3
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Surely if a car isn't owned by you, loaned to you, or hired by you, then you wouldn't be driving it in the first place.

Perhaps it would be simpler if they changed the wording to:

"What is covered:
You using a motor car you've stolen
"

Seriously though, I'd check with your insurers as per Wraymonds suggestion.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2021, 17:39   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Gents, as per my original post we are both named on each others policy as a named driver so it has no implication to us. However I know some insurance policies actually prevent you driving your spouse's car with third party cover whilst others allow it, this proves very handy as I said for moving one car out of the way to access the other.
The latest addition to this policy appears to indicate you do not have third party cover on any car loaned to you. So, it's either loaned, hired or taken without consent. As Teflon said if you stole it your covered

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 9th July 2021, 18:15   #5
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

I'll put it another way Dave. You say you are not covered on your policy if you drive your wife's car on to the road to allow access. Are you covered on her policy under those circumstances for that risk? If so, your policy becomes irrelevant as you, presumably, are a driver for that risk on her policy.
I take your point that conditions change and due care is needed, it happens every year. HTH.

Last edited by wraymond; 9th July 2021 at 18:19..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2021, 18:43   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Hi Ray, I quite understand that as I am a named driver on my wife's car and vice versa then it has no implication to us. It was more to make the point that regardless of brokers saying " exactly same cover" it is not.

Old 9th July 2021, 20:24   #7
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Ah, got it! Eagle eye or what? Not many would have spotted it. Most people just pay and put it in a drawer!

So, just to be sure, if you are named on your wife's policy as an additional driver, then you putting the car in the road for access is not illegal.
Old 9th July 2021, 20:48   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Thanks for posting Dave.

As some know we're regularly up in the North East babysitting. At the moment I am insured on any car that is being driven with owner's consent. This can be very useful as my son's car has ISOfix for their child car seat and obviously the Rover doesn't. So sometimes we simply swap cars as he has the same wording on his policy allowing him to drive the Rover.

Will have to check very carefully come renewal time.

Thanks.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2021, 21:39   #9
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

it is indeed a grey area. most policies stipulate " with the owners permission."
so loan of a vehicle suggests gain of some degree ? " use" would be a better term. it is confusing . i was stopped once whilst using my wifes car and asked if i had insurance. i showed them my policy which clearly stated that i could drive another vehicle with their permission but they did not accept that and the car was recovered at the roadside and taken away to a compound. i lost a days pay from work and had to pay to get the car released. i spent 3 weeks arguing my position each week at the local police station. they eventually rang my insurers who confirmed that i was indeed insured to drive my wifes car but third party only and that i was only insured whilst in the car driving it ! they still wanted to persue the case telling me that because i was married, the car in effect was jointly owned and not solely by her. so i should have insurance ! in the end they relented but not after i received a warning letter by post from the chief constable stating " you know the law" . a question that i was asked many times was "will you be seeking compensation ? " i have been driving 50 yrs plus and had just had my first 3 points ever on my license for speeding 35 mph in a 30mph zone. if this case had gone to court and somehow i lost then 6 points on top of that would likely have seen me banned. the costs of it and all the hassle fighting the police was just not worth it. so just bit my tongue and binned the warning letter ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote