Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 28th July 2021, 06:49   #11
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I hope everyone is noting that Tim's belts were about 20 years old.
Yet more evidence that replacement every six years is unnecessary.

Tim; what were the tensioner and idler pulley bearings like on your car? Mine were rather rough (at just 2,000 miles more than yours) posing a greater risk of failure than the belts themselves.

Simon
Simon
Rover interval for the belt change is 90000 miles or 6 years whichever is sooner as I'm sure you know so please don't suggest it is fine not to listen to the manufacturers interval for changes
If any owner is thinking of a belt change they should just be told the specified Interval and then left to decide for themselves and not be told by you that the belts will last longer
If you think that the belts will last past the recommended change point and a member takes your advise then the belt fails will you pay for the engine repairs?

Dave
Old 28th July 2021, 06:57   #12
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Fortuna View Post
I took the car off the road within 48hrs of buying it and doing it in my spare time off and on about ten days start to finish (amassing parts and getting the tool hire organised included). I hope that has answered your (rather strange) question.
Yes, my belts looked in great shape but in no way am I expressing an opinion on change intervals - it was merely an observation, no more than that.
Well done for doing it yourself and as most of us know it needed doing and you got on with it, Great work
Old 28th July 2021, 07:15   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The tensioner and idler on the drive belt require a mention ... The bearings in both were noisy - the tensioner bearing I repacked with grease ... The idler was too far gone - it was very noisy and rough so I pressed out the bearing ... Got a new one and pressed it back in.
Thanks very much Tim for answering my question. My car was like that too, at the same mileage. I'm very impressed with your repair technique.

Simon
Old 28th July 2021, 08:10   #14
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

Quote:
I hope everyone is noting that Tim's belts were about 20 years old.
Yet more evidence that replacement every six years is unnecessary.

Tim; what were the tensioner and idler pulley bearings like on your car? Mine were rather rough (at just 2,000 miles more than yours) posing a greater risk of failure than the belts themselves.

Simon
Don't often comment on these kind of posts but, in my opinion,it is not a great idea to suggest to members that might not know better to pretty much ignore manufacturers recommendations on such an important item.
I have no idea how old the belts were on my old launch car but when they were replaced they did appear to be in excellent condition on the outer visible area but were not in a good way on the toothed side.
Change the belts as recommended or take the risk ( at your own peril ).
Just my thoughts ( oh, and the manufacturers and most of the respected members on here).

Steve.
Old 28th July 2021, 08:22   #15
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssizefive View Post
Don't often comment on these kind of posts but, in my opinion,it is not a great idea to suggest to members that might not know better to pretty much ignore manufacturers recommendations on such an important item.
I have no idea how old the belts were on my old launch car but when they were replaced they did appear to be in excellent condition on the outer visible area but were not in a good way on the toothed side.
Change the belts as recommended or take the risk ( at your own peril ).
Just my thoughts ( oh, and the manufacturers and most of the respected members on here).

Steve.
Steve

As you say change them as recommended or take the risk, Is it really worth turning a well running car into what would then be scrap value due to the cost of an engine rebuild for a belt change?

Dave
Old 28th July 2021, 08:29   #16
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Steve

As you say change them as recommended or take the risk, Is it really worth turning a well running car into what would then be scrap value due to the cost of an engine rebuild for a belt change?

Dave
Exactly!!

Steve.
Old 28th July 2021, 08:35   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

The point I am making is not one of the decision to be made in the future, it concerns the opportunity to learn from the evidence of the past.

TIm's engine, and the many others in the same position, have already demonstrated the truth. The question is: do you hang onto your belief in what someone else tells you even though the facts put in front of you tell you otherwise?

Simon
Old 28th July 2021, 09:00   #18
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
I took the car off the road within 48hrs of buying it and doing it in my spare time off and on about ten days start to finish
Considering the age and mileage, a sensible way forward with a car that is an unknown quantity. You now have peace of mind that the timing service has been carried out
Whatever views others have I would always advocate carrying out the timing service within the manufacturers recommendation regardless ,
Fix on fail not an option with a timing belt!

Last edited by TourerSteve; 28th July 2021 at 09:14..
Old 28th July 2021, 09:02   #19
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
The point I am making is not one of the decision to be made in the future, it concerns the opportunity to learn from the evidence of the past.

TIm's engine, and the many others in the same position, have already demonstrated the truth. The question is: do you hang onto your belief in what someone else tells you even though the facts put in front of you tell you otherwise?

Simon
It is quite simple Simon the intervals were set by MGR which should be done, Quite a lot of other manufactures specify high cambelt change intervals and then they break before they reach there change point, I would advise anyone to change there belts on time or run the risk of serious engine damage

Dave
Old 28th July 2021, 09:23   #20
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
It is quite simple Simon the intervals were set by MGR which should be done, Quite a lot of other manufactures specify high cambelt change intervals and then they break before they reach there change point, I would advise anyone to change there belts on time or run the risk of serious engine damage

Dave
Preventative maintenance better than fix on fail !
Basically with the age of our cars , it would make them an uneconomical right off
Closed Thread