Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I won't be doing this myself!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=831I7-s7Ajc

Those days are long gone! I would love to...................... but No!

This way is much quicker. Yeah! Right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkwhWI91xK0

I still have my clutch alignment kit in the garage!!!
Do not like all the hammer chisel work? the sensor at 28.7 seconds will be no good now and will be a nightmare to get out, wonder if the customer was charged for the sensor he snapped with the pry bar and hammering seal also broke at 29.26,, again using hammer and chisel.

How dangerous is that to let the gearbox fall onto your body 30.33 at least the camera man could call the ambulance if he was to get hurt, as he will not get away with it all the time, accident waiting to happen.

Sensor broke 28.7 knocked out easy and was replaced so he must know that they all break when trying to get them out? the guy knows what he is doing and is an hard grafter hats of to him, hopefully all the faults are cleared from the ECU etc after as well ? thankless job doing a clutch on your back.

Don't blame you that you are not going to do it yourself, lets hope it won't need doing for a while have you spoken to the seller again yet about your concerns.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:21   #12
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

This would be the correct thing to check then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCwiYNeTv_E

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:34   #13
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I have spoken to the seller twice and he just says that it is fine and that the car comes with "warranty"! It's parts only and who knows what they would charge for labour.

The video "check" is what I would be doing. See where the clutch takes up and how much movement there is.

My good lady has told me to stop worrying, buy the car and if it needs it, just pay for a new clutch! Woman's logic. Maybe she is correct. Stop stressing Roverbarmy!!!

This video seems much clearer:-

https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/ho...-kia-sportage/

Not bad at all if you have a lift.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 23rd September 2021 at 13:43..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 18:26   #14
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
I have spoken to the seller twice and he just says that it is fine and that the car comes with "warranty"! It's parts only and who knows what they would charge for labour.

The video "check" is what I would be doing. See where the clutch takes up and how much movement there is.

My good lady has told me to stop worrying, buy the car and if it needs it, just pay for a new clutch! Woman's logic. Maybe she is correct. Stop stressing Roverbarmy!!!

This video seems much clearer:-

https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/ho...-kia-sportage/

Not bad at all if you have a lift.
What smacks me in the face as a red flag is the statement "they all do that" it's a blatant cop out. They don't all do that, it is faulty and they either don't know of the issue or couldn't care less.

If they are not going to fix it then knock the cost off the purchase price.

Regardless of how much it costs to put right it's not right now at point of sale, its not wear and tear it's a broken part. And as for the warranty being parts only, I would guess in this sort of repair (thrust bearing assy only) the parts would only make up 10 to 15% of the bill.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 23rd September 2021 at 18:31..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:22   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
What smacks me in the face as a red flag is the statement "they all do that" it's a blatant cop out. They don't all do that, it is faulty and they either don't know of the issue or couldn't care less.

If they are not going to fix it then knock the cost off the purchase price.

Regardless of how much it costs to put right it's not right now at point of sale, its not wear and tear it's a broken part. And as for the warranty being parts only, I would guess in this sort of repair (thrust bearing assy only) the parts would only make up 10 to 15% of the bill.
Hi Dave.
I agree with all the above and personally i would be pulling out of the deal unless they correct the fault now, as you state it's a fault 100% once you have taken hold of the car you stand less chance of getting it sorted properly by them.

i would have walked once i was told they all do that, you can see they just want the sale, they could not even care about after sale relations.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 2nd October 2021, 10:34   #16
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Well, I did buy it and they wouldn't do the clutch but no surprise there. I am sort of getting used to it and am very pleased with the rest of the car. It came with 12 months MOT but I have already swapped the spare onto the car to replace the one that was cracking!!! (No advisories!!!). The sunroof doesn't work! " Well, that's probably just a bit of crud on it with it not being used!" I shan't be using it anyway as it has aircon. Car dealers................... rhymes with stealers! They have had a rough 12 - 18 months! More jobs for me to sort when the weather improves!

The seating position is wonderful. It's a dream to get in and out of and 45 - 50 MPG after the V6 will be good, along with the £105 tax saving. 48K only, engine is sweet as a nut, no smoke, no smells and dry as a bone under the bonnet. Apart from a bit of auction site mud, the underside is sound and clean with everything still in original paint and underseal.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 2nd October 2021 at 11:17..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 10:21   #17
roverbarmy
This is my second home

"Curiosity" got the better of me and I hate to have something fitted that doesn't work, so started hunting on Youtube for Sportage sunroof and managed to find this vid:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqFqNbAPWa4
I followed some of it to identify the problems and after a lot of cleaning, WD40 and silicone grease, I now have a fully working sunroof! Just in time for winter!!!
Total cost? Nowt but a few squirts of "consumables"!

Old 19th October 2021, 08:38   #18
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Update on the clutch situation. I bit the bullet (again!) and had a new 3 piece Luk clutch fitted and "Hey Presto", I have a smooth gearchange and a light clutch pedal again. The pressure plate fingers appeared flattened and uneven, with a visible groove from the bearing. The bearing was dry and had end play too, with "rust dust" all over it. The driven plate wasn't in too bad a condition for a nine year old clutch (48k). I will inform the garage but I don't expect any joy as they had two previous chances to fix it before I bought it and didn't! Life is too short for hassle but I'll give them a chance as I haven't left a review for them yet!!!

Now that it is fixed, I am enjoying the Sportage. It's roomy, comfy and easy to get in and out of. Nothing like the ride of the Rover but hey-ho, needs must! The fuel needle hardly moves at all and it will move if you let it sing to the turbo!

Onward and upwards,
Happy Rovering,
Mike
Old 19th October 2021, 10:42   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Update on the clutch situation. I bit the bullet (again!) and had a new 3 piece Luk clutch fitted and "Hey Presto", I have a smooth gearchange and a light clutch pedal again. The pressure plate fingers appeared flattened and uneven, with a visible groove from the bearing. The bearing was dry and had end play too, with "rust dust" all over it. The driven plate wasn't in too bad a condition for a nine year old clutch (48k).
Quote:
I will inform the garage but I don't expect any joy as they had two previous chances to fix it before I bought it and didn't! Life is too short for hassle but I'll give them a chance as I haven't left a review for them yet!!!

Now that it is fixed, I am enjoying the Sportage. It's roomy, comfy and easy to get in and out of. Nothing like the ride of the Rover but hey-ho, needs must! The fuel needle hardly moves at all and it will move if you let it sing to the turbo!

Onward and upwards,
Happy Rovering,
Mike

Hi Mike.
Nice to hear you are now pleased with the Sportage, but yes let them know, ask at the same time if they are willing as a good gesture to meet you half way with the cost, that is better than lets say trying to demand a the full cost and gives you a nice point on the conversation.

Do mention that you have not yet left your intended feed back and in the future would like to be able to recommend them to friend and family

ad altiora tendo.

Old 19th October 2021, 16:17   #20
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post

Do mention that you have not yet left your intended feed back and in the future would like to be able to recommend them to friend and family
Have you read my letter to them? We think very much alike! I don't know how they sleep at night. I have never knowingly sold a faulty item to anybody. That's probably why I ended up closing my business! Folks said that I wasn't "hard enough"! I do sleep at night though...... and during the day too just lately!