Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th August 2021, 14:51   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default T4 telling lies?

Having a bit of a love / hate relationship with my now mobile T4. Went to try and help a local 1.8T owner whose car will idle on 3 cylinders but not on 4, doesn’t seem to matter which cylinder he disables.
Good comp. fuel pressure 4.2 bar, no fault codes except for the standard P1520. So I explore a bit and while exploring the engine management a new error report pops-up telling us there’s an open circuit between one of the ignition coils and the ECM.
Moment of joy, that must be it, packed the T4 in its granny trolley and went home. Few hours later the joy evaporated: the owner had checked for continuity and the circuit was fine.

Now why is the T4 telling us one thing and reality another?

Ps. If like this owner you have a Kmaps ECM and the T4 wants you to update the software don’t as it’ll wipe the map, luckily checked first before taking chances.

Regards

vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 19:30   #2
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Continuity of the circuit is one thing but can it carry the required current?
Say if 19 of the 20 strands in a wire are broken, it will still show continuity but will be useless.

PS never seen that type of error before, it maybe unique to the K-Maps ecu.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 19:35   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
PS never seen that type of error before, it maybe unique to the K-Maps ecu.
Would it be worthwhile contacting Kmaps?

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 19:37   #4
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Having a bit of a love / hate relationship with my now mobile T4. Went to try and help a local 1.8T owner whose car will idle on 3 cylinders but not on 4, doesn’t seem to matter which cylinder he disables.
Good comp. fuel pressure 4.2 bar, no fault codes except for the standard P1520. So I explore a bit and while exploring the engine management a new error report pops-up telling us there’s an open circuit between one of the ignition coils and the ECM.
Moment of joy, that must be it, packed the T4 in its granny trolley and went home. Few hours later the joy evaporated: the owner had checked for continuity and the circuit was fine.

Now why is the T4 telling us one thing and reality another?

Ps. If like this owner you have a Kmaps ECM and the T4 wants you to update the software don’t as it’ll wipe the map, luckily checked first before taking chances.

Regards

I would give the Kmaps guys a call -they have always been helpful - and they are as i understand it the original ECU MGR Team.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 21:13   #5
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Many thanks for the replies, especially the note about carrying the current and the simple explanation which of course I never considered.

I wrote to Kmaps earlier today and received a very prompt reply confirming that I was correct in not proceeding with the update as per T4 request. I'll have another word with them concerning this error message.

Thanks again
Old 8th August 2021, 08:55   #6
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

If you are absolutely sure about the continuity that it can be eliminated, perhaps a closer look for any pushed pins/connectors would be next?

Failing that I would suggest a slave Mems which can be virginised or if you remove the eeprom from the original can be swapped over. It’s not unknown for a mems component to fail although would be rare. I have seen only one fail but it was related to the fuel pump not stopping.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 09:42   #7
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Question

The wiring under the throttle body can rub through and so that area is a known source of electrical-based problems.. The wires for the coil packs are routed via that area so I would give it a thorough inspection together with the multi connector which is also there - is the multi connector closed properly and locked? I would disconnect it and reconnect it after having a close look at the contacts for anything untoward.

How old are the plugs? Although they might appear to be ok the insulators are known to break down as they age and become leaky giving rise to running/starting problems. Weird and unfathomable electrical problems can sometimes be traced to a bad earth, is the main engine/gearbox to chassis earth ok?
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 09:51   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
If you are absolutely sure about the continuity that it can be eliminated, perhaps a closer look for any pushed pins/connectors would be next?

Failing that I would suggest a slave Mems which can be virginised or if you remove the eeprom from the original can be swapped over. It’s not unknown for a mems component to fail although would be rare. I have seen only one fail but it was related to the fuel pump not stopping.

Thanks for the input. The owner bought a Kmaps as the original ECM was suspect due to burnt and corroded crank sensor wiring, but no improvement with the Kmap's.

I'll tell him about the pins, but I believe the next step would be to bridge the two connectors with a length of cable and see if things improve. Something is causing the engine to only run on three and suspect wiring between the ECM and one of the two coils sounds logical, at least to me.

Finger crossed ...
Old 8th August 2021, 09:58   #9
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
The wiring under the throttle body can rub through and so that area is a known source of electrical-based problems.. The wires for the coil packs are routed via that area so I would give it a thorough inspection together with the multi connector which is also there - is the multi connector closed properly and locked? I would disconnect it and reconnect it after having a close look at the contacts for anything untoward.

How old are the plugs? Although they might appear to be ok the insulators are known to break down as they age and become leaky giving rise to running/starting problems. Weird and unfathomable electrical problems can sometimes be traced to a bad earth, is the main engine/gearbox to chassis earth ok?
Thanks for the reply, I believe the plugs are new. The owner has disconnected/ reconnected/cleaned every connector he's found within the engine bay, lifted the fuse box, and checked earthing points. Our hopes now lie with a wiring fault between the ECM and the second coil. Unfortunately he bought the car as a non-runner and despite various repairs to the EWS & crank sensor wiring he has yet to see the car running.

But hopefully ...
Old 8th August 2021, 18:24   #10
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

The wiring fault identified by your T4 although intermittent does arouse suspicion given your running problem. The faulty wire identified is coloured black/white and runs from contact 26 of the ECU connector to contact 15 of the multi connector under the throttle body. From contact 15 of the multi connector it then runs to contact 2 of ignition coil 1. That last run to the coil is the the one that is prone to chafing and if any damage is evident you might not be able to spot it until you ease the wire out of the black convoluted conduit which houses it and other wires.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote