Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2021, 11:19   #1
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Default V6 won't start

Not having much luck with this new ZT lads. I parked her up a couple of weeks ago and as I switched her off I got an engine disabled light on the dash. When I came back out I found coolant on the drive and on closer inspection could see the thermostat was leaking. I've changed that and am now having to deal with the original problem.

I asked the wife to start it whilst I kept an eye on the new coolant - she said it was just clicking. So I jumped in and did it myself - fired up no problem. Switched off and tried again - nothing. The battery is only a few months old and I had it charging in the house whilst it was out of the car for keyhole thermostat change.

I've got two flip keys and an empty original key. I had no idea there were issues with these flip keys and not sure if they're related to the problem. However, I changed the battery in in the main one I was using, removed the battery negative, reconnected and I was able to lock / unlock the doors which I hadn't previously been able to. Now when I turn the key I get all lights on the dash, but when I try to turn the engine over there's a click somewhere and the lights all go out. If I try again there's no lights on the dash. If I remove the battery negative and reconnect I get lights on the dash again but same thing - try to turn the engine over and it dies.

The plenums are clear. Any ideas lads? I can hook up later to TOAF if it will read with just ignition on

Cheers

Last edited by BillyMG; 12th October 2021 at 11:22..
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 11:35   #2
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

I also can't see a transponder in any of these keys and ione definitely hasn't fallen out of any of them??

Edit: Ignore me it was stuck in the key case

Tried putting everything back in the old case same thing is happening. Suspect immobiliser problem but why with both keys??

Last edited by BillyMG; 12th October 2021 at 11:49..
Old 12th October 2021, 12:06   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If you get a click and the lights go out, you have a bad battery connection somewhere.
Old 12th October 2021, 12:10   #4
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes Toaf will help with immobiliser issues, open the EWS module and see what errors are stored, car doesn't need to be running.

But the lights all go out, doesn't sound right, usually a symtom of a discharged battery even though you say it's new, the click you hear is probably the solenoid attempting to engage but not enough juice? If headlamps flicker you shouldn't try any further otherwise you might just get an immobiliser issue.

Any spare battery?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 12:12   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

I'd say it's either the car battery or the starter solenoid contacts Billy.

If you have a multimeter, connect it across the battery (20v DC range) and ask your wife to first turn on the ignition whilst you note down the voltage drop, then to attempt to turn over the engine. What does your meter read now?

If the voltage drops severely, to say 10v or below, try charging the battery for over 24 hours. If it's been left for any length of time in a discharged state this may not work and it will have to be replaced.

If the voltage doesn't drop at all, or remains around 12v, consider a solenoid contact repair kit (about £16).

If you haven't got a multimeter you can also monitor the voltage using the instrument pack diagnostics.

If it was an immobiliser problem you wouldn't hear any clicking when the key is turned to "start".

Simon
Old 12th October 2021, 13:22   #6
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Great thanks lads. Starter solenoid makes perfect sense - I did get her running on one attempt so seems to be intermittent. I've ordered a kit with 1st class delivery - looks easy enough to change and cheap enough to take a punt!
Old 12th October 2021, 13:42   #7
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Might also be worth removing and refitting the small spade connector to the starter in case it's a poor connection preventing cranking, however they don't normally click or lose the lights when this happens. As advised I'd check battery voltage under load ie cranking .
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 13:45   #8
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
If you get a click and the lights go out, you have a bad battery connection somewhere.
And the winner iiiiiiiis... Trikey!!

I gave the battery cables a good tighten onto the terminals and all seems well again. What a palava - always start with the simple things eh!