Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th March 2024, 21:11   #1
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts
Default Tyre wear on EVs

Just read an article on tyre wear on the ubiquitous EVs. Evidently, they can burn tyres out in around 6,000 miles. So, Goodyear have started making tyres just for EVs. Prices are like the EVs themselves, very dear. Goodyear make the Electric tyre at a price of around 200 dollars. Seems we are learning a bit more about EVs and how they are going to help in combating the ‘global warming’ crisis. It’s all a joke, and the lemmings are falling for it hook line and sinker.
Old 31st March 2024, 07:59   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Anyone remember the quote from the late, great Colin Chapman...

"Simplify then add lightness."

And what we "we" doing?.....

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 08:59   #3
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

The result of a heavy battery and overuse of the rapid acceleration that is available.
KWIL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 09:40   #4
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

We are all able to make our own choices. It's the half-truths and downright lies that irk me, all in the interests of supposedly 'saving the planet'. The money men thinking that all the people can be fooled all the time is a concern.

The uptake is proving to be, well, hesitant to say the least. It's a racket, but then this particular aspect of 'global warming' is another product of the motor trade after all. The fluctuating global temperature has been so for millions of years, how vain can we get? Doesn't anybody wonder why the 'pothole' phenomenon on such a scale is such a recent thing?
Old 31st March 2024, 10:36   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

The showing off to neighbours seem to be the main driving force behind purchases. The financial rewards and practical downsides over buying I.C.E is virtually non existent . Im sure depreciation alone, will not cover the gains of low emmisions charges made in the capitol and other large cities. Let them get on with it ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 10:45   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just read an article on tyre wear on the ubiquitous EVs. Evidently, they can burn tyres out in around 6,000 miles. So, Goodyear have started making tyres just for EVs. Prices are like the EVs themselves, very dear. Goodyear make the Electric tyre at a price of around 200 dollars. Seems we are learning a bit more about EVs and how they are going to help in combating the ‘global warming’ crisis. It’s all a joke, and the lemmings are falling for it hook line and sinker.

David, your numbers relate to top-end EVs that have V8 and upwards levels of performance - sub-5s 0 to 60 times and instant 600Nm+ of torque - and the drivers persistently using that performance. The 6k mile tyre replacement interval is similar to many petrol/diesel cars of equivalent performance. Try replacing the tyres on a Jaguar 3.0D XFS or an XFRS 5.0 Supercharged V8 or an equivalent German car and you will find that quality tyres for this level of performance are not cheap and represent a significant part of the overall maintenance cost. The 400 BHP I-pace's performance is similar to the XFR-S and most I-Pace drivers report 20k+ miles between tyre changes on the dedicated forums.

Articles by epyx and Fleetnews say that over a large number of fleet vehicles, EV tyres on average last 6000 miles less than ICE cars - 18k miles vs 24k miles. For the average private user, this will make little to no pracical difference because tyres are often replaced due to age, cracking etc. than due to mileage related wear.

EVs do not require annual oil changes and on average the brake discs/pads last three times as many miles as on ICE cars.

In my experience, EV buyers so far have been early adopters and such individuals tend to be quite intelligent people who do a lot of research and analysis before committing - this is my opinion of all the EV buyers that I know which is quite a few.

Of course everyone can have their own opinions, based on various personal characteristics, outlooks and beliefs, but usually the most informative and often the only useful opinions come from those who operate the types of vehicles in question and are therefore based on first-hand experience.

Last edited by MSS; 2nd April 2024 at 07:38..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 10:48   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
The showing off to neighbours seem to be the main driving force behind purchases. The financial rewards and practical downsides over buying I.C.E is virtually non existent . Im sure depreciation alone, will not cover the gains of low emmisions charges made in the capitol and other large cities. Let them get on with it ...

I assume you mean upsides, in which case most people who own an EV would disagree with the highlighted point.

Last edited by MSS; 31st March 2024 at 11:04..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 13:13   #8
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

That's probably true of the Jonny speed pants brigade but at my last service shortly before I sold the Gen 1 MG ZS EV it still had 5mm & above of tread depth after 3 1/2 years. The rotor discs & brake pads had virtually zero wear on them thanks to the regen.

I never used the sports mode on that car or have used it on this Gen 2 Trophy MG ZS EV, It's torquey enough without any sports mode for me, I'm not really interested in 0-60 times as the relaxing silent virtually one pedal driving is perfect for me.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 22:08   #9
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Tyre wear on EV’s can be accelerated by heavy acceleration as the electric motor will deliver maximum torque instantly. But, if you drive a ‘fast’ ice car quickly the same will happen. On the plus side the money saved on brakes due to regen braking will pay for the new tyres

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2024, 07:59   #10
MSS
This is my second home

It's a pleasure to see a few members present a balanced and genuine knowledge based view of EVs.

For anyone genuinely interested in tyre and brake wear on EVs vs ICE, see:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/electric...an-petrol-and/