Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th June 2020, 21:59   #11
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
It is nice to read my efforts have inspired someone I know mine is not everyone's taste, but it suits me.

You dont need to change the material. There is an ash grey smokestone door card if you wanted to go down that route, and they would be easy enough to obtain. I had the same idea back when I did mine, inspired myself by AldoR's beautiful mongram V8. But when I tried it, it just seemed flat to me - I still think AldoR's V8 interior looks fantastic though, I think the dark oak is what ties it all together. (there is an image of his in post 1 HERE, along with my attempt at a mash up of the lower smokestone panels)

Originally, my favoured idea was to get all Ash Grey lower dash panels and centre console. Then get PPD Sandstone leather seats (with Ash Grey piping) and a set of MG ZT door cards - stripping the central dark velour panels and and replacing with Sandstone velour panels (leaving the Ash Grey door handles and speakers etc. (in the style of the Monogram type interiors, if I remember correctly). It's perfectly doable, if you have the patience - just have to carefully cut/grind/break the plastic welds of the velour panel and get very small screws/washers to fit the alternative velour panel - I just couldn't be that bothered

Plus, I have a really good set of Ash Grey 75 leather seats I bought a few years ago that I'd like to fit. And having seen some of the walnut and Ash Grey combo interiors on here, I thought that would be a nice way to go.

Really like the job you've done with your car - little bit different, but not too different

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 22:06   #12
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Karl.
They look really good, leather work looks to be spot on, I have this below to do something with, it started out as a black oak steering wheel I think, it seems to have been painted Rhodium Grey.

I think I may paint it black or even try and strip it back to black oak.

Thanks Steve

Given that the Black Oak wheels were quite rare, I'd have thought it was a bad idea to paint them over - unless it had faded to green? (which I believe they were known to do).

Might be worth stripping a little of the Rhodium paint off in one of the high wear areas to see how the wood is holding up, and if it's too far gone, painting it black can look real good too (see Alan's interior).

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 00:20   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
Thanks Steve

Given that the Black Oak wheels were quite rare, I'd have thought it was a bad idea to paint them over - unless it had faded to green? (which I believe they were known to do).

Quote:
Might be worth stripping a little of the Rhodium paint off in one of the high wear areas to see how the wood is holding up, and if it's too far gone, painting it black can look real good too (see Alan's interior).

Cheers,
Karl.
Hi Karl
Yes I think I am going to do that, just need to find what is going to be best without any damage.
QTB001370PGS.

https://www.roverservis.com/images/a...s_rover_75.pdf

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 5th June 2020 at 08:15.. Reason: rectification
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 06:12   #14
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

If you have a black oak wheel that has been painted over I would strongly advise against stripping the paint off. I bought a black oak (plastic) steering wheel (from ALDOR)several years ago. It was in excellent condition but, being aware of the fading issue previously mentioned, my wife made a cover to protect it from the sun when parked. Obviously I can't drive it with the cover on, but it has still faded badly.
I am happy with the black leather but it is the black oak part I would like to bring back to match the fascia. I enquired about wrapping it but no success. Has anyone any ideas?

Bob
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 06:26   #15
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
Had mine done by Royal , very pleased with it , they can do them on an exchange basis so if it's your daily driver your not carless
Jon

that looks good, and looks to be good value for the Money

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2020, 22:10   #16
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post
If you have a black oak wheel that has been painted over I would strongly advise against stripping the paint off. I bought a black oak (plastic) steering wheel (from ALDOR)several years ago. It was in excellent condition but, being aware of the fading issue previously mentioned, my wife made a cover to protect it from the sun when parked. Obviously I can't drive it with the cover on, but it has still faded badly.
I am happy with the black leather but it is the black oak part I would like to bring back to match the fascia. I enquired about wrapping it but no success. Has anyone any ideas?

Bob
"Black oak (plastic)", can you explain what that is please.
I'm hoping to 'create' a black smooth (pimple) leather/black oak wheel (working on the idea that this is the OEM option for a Rover).
I'm working from a doner sandstone or smokestone/light oak combination to end up black pimple leather and black oak wood ( thought all the MGR wood wheels were real wood veneer) but can't work out if the Contemporary SE (seats described as sports black leather) gives you a black (pimple) all leather steering wheel with ash grey pimple plastic air bag cover (in the later cars ash grey is pretty dark) or a black pimple plastic air bag cover; I believe the centre armrest storage cover is ash grey and seems to match the air bag cover. Do you have any info.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote