Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th June 2021, 08:23   #11
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Send a letter before action insisting they refund immediately. Don’t go down the road of buying new tyres off them “pending” any refund.

It will cost you peanuts to do and is simple on line. Issue a summons via the small claims court for the cost of replacement due to failure of the tyres.
Law is clear. Goods supplied must be fit for purpose and durable. They are no longer fit and not durable.
It’s amazing how quickly the big boys suddenly send you a cheque for your claim to avoid paying lawyers.

I’ve done it a few times. Sky TV paid me £368 within 8 days of me issuing a summons. They don’t want a successful court case against them that will open the flood gates.

Give it some thought. Done from the comfort of your sofa.
Old 29th June 2021, 09:07   #12
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

I understand your anger @bendrick. The condition of your tyres is appalling.

Nevertheless I've fitted Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 195 x 65 x 15 on all my 75 V6 2.5 wheels, they look perfect and I'm very satisfied with them since 3 years with the first pair (still in place) and with a second pair since last year.
No crack, no damage, no abnormal or irregular wear.
But I'm driving the car at least once a month even in the bad season, never it remains at a standstill which isn't very good unless you move the car a little from time to time, and the car is always garaged.

Good luck with your damages claim.
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 09:57   #13
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
I understand your anger @bendrick. The condition of your tyres is appalling.

Nevertheless I've fitted Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 195 x 65 x 15 on all my 75 V6 2.5 wheels, they look perfect and I'm very satisfied with them since 3 years with the first pair (still in place) and with a second pair since last year.
No crack, no damage, no abnormal or irregular wear.
But I'm driving the car at least once a month even in the bad season, never it remains at a standstill which isn't very good unless you move the car a little from time to time, and the car is always garaged.

Good luck with your damages claim.
Cheers, although limited mileage due to the pandemic I do use it regularly as its my only car its not laid up just doing far less miles than usual which makes it the more annoying.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 10:43   #14
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Please dont take this the wrong way but as I see it you have a couple of tyres that are 2 and a half years old and they have covered 6000 miles.
Surely you cannot expect Goodyear to refund the complete cost of new tyres.
If it was me and I was that unhappy with the condition of them,I would change them out for a different make and take what I could from Goodyear towards the cost of replacements.
Or tell Goodyear you would settle for replacement tyres and get them inspected by a Goodyear authorized dealer first rather than sending them back.
Not sure but I think most tyre guarantees are based on mileage and age of the tyre.

Stan
Old 29th June 2021, 11:05   #15
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I can't say I'm that surprised by the pics. I used to have Goodyear Eagle F1s on the Omega back in the day. They stuck to the road even better than Michelin Pilots, but by crikey did they wear quick.

By contrast the Efficient Grips I put on the Tourer have done 20k. If it wasn't for a front spring deciding to snap while driving at speed and go through the sidewall like a can opener I'd still be merrily smoking around with them on it. Credit due to the car though, it might have effectively locked up a wheel but it still did quite an elegant bellyflop until it finally came to a halt.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 11:20   #16
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Please dont take this the wrong way but as I see it you have a couple of tyres that are 2 and a half years old and they have covered 6000 miles.
If it was me and I was that unhappy with the condition of them,I would change them out for a different make and take what I could from Goodyear towards the cost of replacements.
Or tell Goodyear you would settle for replacement tyres and get them inspected by a Goodyear authorized dealer first rather than sending them back.
Not sure but I think most tyre guarantees are based on mileage and age of the tyre.

Stan
Not totally sure that I agree with that line of thinking, surely you should be perfectly able to expect a tyre to last for more than 6,000 miles without displaying that sort of damage / wear?

As regards the two and a half years business some people as I used too, might shove 35,000 miles a year on a tyre and I've managed less than 3,000 a year due to the pandemic circumstances. The car isn't parked in the Sahara Desert or ice bound Alaska.

It must be fairly obvious that there will be could well be a significant time frame involved in the use of tyres before deficiencies are noticed due to the very nature of the subject therefore the mileage, pretty low in this case, has to be taken into account rather than two and a half years.

If the tyres were 10 years old and only done 6,000 miles then I could appreciate the time aspect but they're not.

And yes call me old fashioned but I do expect something showing these deficiencies to be replaced for ones that are up to the job as advertised I'd be embarrassed to see the state of them if I was a reputable manufacturer.

The customer service chap who was a technical bod rather than just a customer service clerk said that I would have to return the tyres to them for inspection and a decision, there was no option to take them somewhere local for an inspection.

What a cheek so I would have to buy and have new tyres fitted to my car then package up the originals spending P&P to send them to Goodyear and sit with fingers crossed that they might send me an unspecified amount of money or none.

If Goodyear aren't capable of making a tyre that is up to what is after all a very undemanding task in car terms in the case of my mileage and use, then get out of the game and go and have a go at making something else

Last edited by bendrick; 29th June 2021 at 11:25..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 14:19   #17
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

Usually when safety is involved, I have found tyre manufacturers act reasonably. In about 1984 I had an Austin Maestro 1.6HLS as a company car. It went in for a service and the garage asked me to look at the tyres with them. All four of the Dunlops fitted from new had bad cracks on the inside tyre walls. The garage put in a claim for me at their suggestion and although the tyres had then done over 10,000 miles, Dunlops replaced them with a new set free of charge. I was almost embarrassed - but not quite! Perhaps things were different 35 years ago?
Having said that, I always use Avons on my 75s and have had no problems with them.
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 15:38   #18
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I had a set of Michelins on a car some years ago, just could not balance them. Took the whole car to them, they removed all four wheels, took them way and returned with a completely new set of tyres fitted. Apparently they were out of manufacturing limits as regards balance.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 18:40   #19
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Goodyear's have been my preference for a number of years with availability also determining choice. I cover 40-50k a year and have seen good and bad from both high end and low end (when supplied not purchased for the later).

Sorry to hear of your experience, however quality is also about raw material selection so even by a standard design there will always be variation on batch production. Hand on heart by the best based on reviews and cost (dependent on driving style and environment) I have went through selection of manufacturer based on these two consideration and cost of course. I have to say I steer clear of Pirelli due to high cost and disappointment but other than that I choose based on these three selection criteria's. All my own purchase have been acceptable but none that exceptional that I would have no problem to recommend.

I have ASY2 on MG (off road with blown engine) and Michelins on my Fiesta van, nothing in them.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 20:15   #20
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post

Stan
6000 miles would be good going for a set of tyres on my Range Rover
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote