Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th September 2021, 21:11   #1
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Default I am sorry to say I was not impressed

The wife an I were out in my Jensen today as I had a day off and it was a nice day, we were sat in a view point having a picnic in front of the car and a nice old boy came over and was talking to me about my car, we chatted for about 15 mins and before he left he was telling me about his latest acquisition, a Tesla Model 3.

I am sure his Tesla is a very nice car but it did not impress me or is it me?

On the way home it got me thinking in a few years if he is sat in a viewpoint having a picnic will some one come over to him a talk to him about his car?

Will any modern electric cars be looked upon with some jealousy or envy? My guess no but why is this? They will out perform my car, they are vastly better in every way but my guess we will look at them the same way we look at a fridge freezer or a washing machine.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2021, 21:26   #2
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Personally I’ve no interest in Tesla’s either. There is a model S and and X that are often parked up when I get the kids from school, and the outside is bland and the interior looks like something from an ikea catalogue. But, look back at some of the cars that are now classics and get good money, at the time they were knew, did anyone really think this is a future classic, apart from the obvious stunners like the jaguar E type etc. I recently saw an old Sierra L estate go for around £2000! Plenty of unlikely classics that are now going for good money. Back in the 50’s who would’ve predicted the love a series 1 Land Rover would get 70 years down the line?
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2021, 21:29   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Not just you, some of us are naturally immune

Bloke up the road has got some sort of super Tesla (tyres cost more than my car) and what I refer to as the "Black beauty" a Aston Martin Vantage Roadster. I've driven both and yes the Tesla is super swift but hasn't got the character or the snarl of the Aston before the exhaust self-seals. I know which I'd love but having virtually fallen in to the Aston's seat and nearly ended-up on all fours getting out realised at my age it'll have to stay a dream.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2021, 21:30   #4
Simmons
Regular poster

MG ZT+ 2.5 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
The wife an I were out in my Jensen today as I had a day off and it was a nice day, we were sat in a view point having a picnic in front of the car and a nice old boy came over and was talking to me about my car, we chatted for about 15 mins and before he left he was telling me about his latest acquisition, a Tesla Model 3.

On the way home it got me thinking in a few years if he is sat in a viewpoint having a picnic will some one come over to him a talk to him about his car?

Will any modern electric cars be looked upon with some jealousy or envy? My guess no but why is this? They will out perform my car, they are vastly better in every way but my guess we will look at them the same way we look at a fridge freezer or a washing machine.

Have to agree, for a couple of years i could not work out why i don't like electric cars and it dawned on me when i saw 2 from the same manufacturer side by side.

1 was petrol and the other was electric, then i saw it, electric cars are just so damn ugly and it is the lack of radiator grills that does it, because they do not need them, the so called designers have basically ruined the front end.

Secondly, if the idea of electric cars is to save energy, why are they all covered in those stupid flashing lights everywhere inside and out?, it is like driving Blackpool illuminations, and don't even get me started on electric hanbrakes.

Make them look like normal cars at least they will be more appealing, but then as all modern cars are basically boring plastic covered boxes inside, I will keep my ZT for as long as possible thank you very much.

As i keep telling people who's cars are constantly beeping and telling them what they are doing wrong.

I want to drive the car, i don't want the car driving me.
Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2021, 21:56   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post

Make them look like normal cars at least they will be more appealing, but then as all modern cars are basically boring plastic covered boxes inside,..........

Really?

Here's an offer. If you are ever down Suffolk way, pop in for a cup of team. I'll take you for a drive in our XF-S and show you how agricultural your Rover is by comparison.

The inside of the XF is pure class, with superb attention to every bit of detail and far greater comfort levels than the 75. The 275bhp/600Nm 3.0L V6 diesel is silky smooth and sounds more like a petrol V6 under acceleration. It takes you from 0 to 60MPH in 5.9 seconds.

Remember - this is from a man who loves his Rovers. But I am not delusional.

As for the modern technology, it can all be switched off quite easily in the configuration menus.

The Tesla design doesn't appeal to me. But, my brother's new Audi 55 e-tron Quattro EV is an amazing vehicle despite the eye watering price tag.

As for classics, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The SD1 Vitesse is one of very few cars that I consider to be a true classic and worth having.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2021, 22:38   #6
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Really?

Here's an offer. If you are ever down Suffolk way, pop in for a cup of team. I'll take you for a drive in our XF-S and show you how agricultural your Rover is by comparison.

The inside of the XF is pure class, with superb attention to every bit of detail and far greater comfort levels than the 75. The 275bhp/600Nm 3.0L V6 diesel is silky smooth and sounds more like a petrol V6 under acceleration. It takes you from 0 to 60MPH in 5.9 seconds.

Remember - this is from a man who loves his Rovers. But I am not delusional.

As for the modern technology, it can all be switched off quite easily in the configuration menus.

The Tesla design doesn't appeal to me. But, my brother's new Audi 55 e-tron Quattro EV is an amazing vehicle despite the eye watering price tag.

As for classics, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The SD1 Vitesse is one of very few cars that I consider to be a true classic and worth having.
Maninder

Totally agree with you, the XF-S is a very well put together vehicle, and a very economic bit of kit, I get around 40-45 per gallon taking son to work every day, around 20 miles, whereas in my 2.5 V6 ZT-T I get about 28-30, but I still like both cars, and not sure If I would consider a Milk float, as a daily car.

I would also like to use my other two cars, but due to the current situation, it has not been worth it, but hopefully, will be able to get to use them next year

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2021, 22:59   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Stu,

I also like my Rovers as well as my Omega estate (a 2.5 V6 petrol). Between the Mrs and I we also have an Astra Twintop and even a Corsa. They are all different but all really enjoyable.

Persnally I find most modern cars to be very competent and some such as the XF and E-pace just pure class.

Maninder.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 05:57   #8
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I like the Tesla! I have had 7 MG ZT`s still look at them and love them but I like the look of the Tesla if in the right colour. I often see one in a non metallic burgundy and hate the car but a neighbour has just bought a 17 plate one in metallic black and it looks stunning.
Remember the 75 wasnt a great hit with the public as the looks were to deemed too retro by many. Ask yourself why do so many people come upto you and say "lovely car" when they could of bought one instead of the Mondeo, Vectra etc of the same age when they were new or only a few years old. The 75 was a totally different option looks wise for the fleet buyers and it was a brave move. Im glad they did it but its all down to personal choice.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 07:50   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

Is a Tesla or any modern car better in every way? I don't hear owners of these modern cars saying how much pleasure they get from driving their car.
They just tell me about the mod cons it has. I want to feel good when I drive and when I drive my saloon, I do.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 07:54   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Stu,

I also like my Rovers as well as my Omega estate (a 2.5 V6 petrol). Between the Mrs and I we also have an Astra Twintop and even a Corsa. They are all different but all really enjoyable.

Persnally I find most modern cars to be very competent and some such as the XF and E-pace just pure class.

Maninder.
E Pace class? Not sure I have driven an E Pace but have the F pace and a number of other new 2018 to 2020 Jaqs and class is not a word I would use to describe them, disappointing and lacking class are terms I would use.

Two different people, two totally different opinions

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote