Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th September 2021, 16:51   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Sill rot

We all know the problems with sill end rot but what it the cause? Just opened up the four ends on my car, the rear ones are full of what seems to be hardened and powdery soil. How does this get into the sill? There are hole in the rear inner wing which are bunged with rubber or have the fabric square bonded over it; these are anyway protected by the plastic wing liner.
What about the front? Here the situation is worse because of the way the jacking point is welded not to the inner sill but to a double thickness plate to the outside of the jacking point. In my case both these plates had rotted and the jacking point disintegrated. Does anyone have a good front jacking point cut from a scrap car, if it comes with the plates it is welded to so much the better.
However, what we need is the way to stop water and road debris getting into the sills in the first place, suggestions?
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 19:08   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

i have rust treated both my sills on both sides inside and applied the dynax protection throughout. i do this every couple of years. before i did mine i had my little camera in there and all was as clean as a whistle . i dont know if this is mk1 or mk2 related in any way ? never had this problem inside the sills . the only issues i have are as you mentioned behind wing liners and between the sill front and rears keeping out the leaves/dirt etc. but nothing beyond the bungs. my car is 2001 my. these cars do tend to let water down the panels and inside depending on the camber you are parked on outside on the road. with either travellng or parking on the same camber may explain the reason why most of these cars have driver side sill rot ,parked all on the same camber. nearside to the gutter. i do try to keep the 4 corners clean from debris and waxoil regularly.

Last edited by xsport; 20th September 2021 at 19:13..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 19:12   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
We all know the problems with sill end rot but what it the cause? Just opened up the four ends on my car, the rear ones are full of what seems to be hardened and powdery soil. How does this get into the sill? There are hole in the rear inner wing which are bunged with rubber or have the fabric square bonded over it; these are anyway protected by the plastic wing liner.
What about the front? Here the situation is worse because of the way the jacking point is welded not to the inner sill but to a double thickness plate to the outside of the jacking point. In my case both these plates had rotted and the jacking point disintegrated. Does anyone have a good front jacking point cut from a scrap car, if it comes with the plates it is welded to so much the better.
However, what we need is the way to stop water and road debris getting into the sills in the first place, suggestions?

Tom Hobbs can supply the jacking points.
Old 20th September 2021, 20:15   #4
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

For the rear I think it is the clips that hold the long finisher leaking, the finisher tends to shift backwards over time, pulling it away at the rear as the end point travels along a bit of bodywork that slopes outwards, thereby pulling the clips slightly away from the body causing a leak. The rear wing finisher clips can also leak.

Wish I had a clue about the front.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 22:45   #5
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
For the rear I think it is the clips that hold the long finisher leaking, the finisher tends to shift backwards over time, pulling it away at the rear as the end point travels along a bit of bodywork that slopes outwards, thereby pulling the clips slightly away from the body causing a leak. The rear wing finisher clips can also leak.

Wish I had a clue about the front.
I’ll certainly check the chrome strip but this car is otherwise immaculate and lived in a garage before I got it. But that doesn’t explain how the solid material gets in
Old 20th September 2021, 22:53   #6
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

It finds its way in through the drain holes & jacking points........it probably doesn’t enter as mud, just mucky water which leaves deposits & builds up over the years
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 09:59   #7
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

So what I need is the front driver’s side jacking point preferably with the steel it is welded to cut from a good body shell of a car that is being scrapped. I can collect from within striking distance of Leeds or Birmingham or anywhere in between
Old 21st September 2021, 13:02   #8
Raven Black
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default jacking point

if you look on ebay there is one at a breakers in Chesterfield Birmingham, tel no is 01246273706,