Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th February 2022, 15:24   #41
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Mick - personally, I would be very sympathetic towards anyone who posts stating that they have been flashed by a speed camera and this will prove a useful lesson or reminder in the future. But, that sympathy completely disappears if instead of that second part the person questions the location of the camera and the motives for its installation. I suspect this is the underlying reason for most of the responses.

In this case, evidently the camera location was good because it caught a speeding motorist.

Sometimes we all make mistakes - the best thing is to accept responsibility and the associated penalty then treat it as one life's little learning points.
Maninder - can you honestly tell me you truely believe ALL camera's are sited purely on the grounds of safety? Yes, 'some' do a very worthwhile job.However a good percentage are strategically placed for other reasons in my personal opinion,piggy backing on the justifiable one's in the guize of safety.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 16:11   #42
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I've posted before about the variable limits on the M1/A1 that we travel regularly.

If the cameras are solely for safety then what is the reason that the gantry with the camera is always the one with the lowest limit when the one before it, and the one before that, are 10mph "faster" i.e. 60, 60, 50

All this while there is absolutely nothing actually happening to give any hint of the reason for a reduction in the limit at all.

There MIGHT have been, but there's no sign of it. So why is the reduction in the limit still there?

Yes, there are cameras that are in an appropriate place. But I'm not convinced that they all are.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 16:57   #43
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
I've posted before about the variable limits on the M1/A1 that we travel regularly.

If the cameras are solely for safety then what is the reason that the gantry with the camera is always the one with the lowest limit when the one before it, and the one before that, are 10mph "faster" i.e. 60, 60, 50

All this while there is absolutely nothing actually happening to give any hint of the reason for a reduction in the limit at all.

There MIGHT have been, but there's no sign of it. So why is the reduction in the limit still there?

Yes, there are cameras that are in an appropriate place. But I'm not convinced that they all are.
why not ask the people responsible for the speed limit signs?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 17:12   #44
Esoteric Walter White

MG ZT

I got caught speeding at 38mph in a 30mph zone a couple of years ago.

I was driving my first car, a 975cc Corsa.
Esoteric Walter White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 19:46   #45
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
This is what we have, unfortunately, they have tamed them down in recent years

https://youtube.com/channel/UC6UTJ3AW0ew6AZgz5wESy3w

In particular https://youtu.be/yGVaArcV9BE

and this one currently running again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsKn...=DOERoadSafety

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
Excellent campaign. It needs shock tactics to force people to think.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 19:59   #46
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Maninder - can you honestly tell me you truely believe ALL camera's are sited purely on the grounds of safety? Yes, 'some' do a very worthwhile job.However a good percentage are strategically placed for other reasons in my personal opinion,piggy backing on the justifiable one's in the guize of safety.
what about ones sited because apparently in the past there have been accidents in that location. Are they for safety reasons or just to nick speeding motorists?

I never fully grasp why people object to speed cameras. They nick only those that speed. Is the issue they want people nicked only by police officers or do they want to keep speeders on the road?
If people do not want speed cameras, don't give anyone a reason for placing them at the side of the road.

macafee2
Old 14th February 2022, 20:02   #47
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

On a facebook group someone posted that a speed detection van was set up on the outskirts of the village.

A coupe of weeks later someone else posted on the same facebook page that they were fed up with people speeding through the village

I think the two contributors should have got together and had a chat about the issue.

macafee2
Old 14th February 2022, 20:29   #48
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Not too long ago motorways and the like were patrolled by police cars, (remember them), people doing things wrong were more often than not, followed and pulled over, most were given a stern talking to then told in no uncertain terms that if they were caught doing the same thing again they could expect the book to be thrown at them.
Today there are very few patrol cars anywhere, cameras are in abundance and simply catch a moment in time and tell no story.

Rather than educate people we are in a time where you get fined and points given, and sometimes banned.

As a professional driver I see some appalling driving, but there isnt a gantry camera anywhere that captures any of it, sometimes I really do wonder just how many drivers actually have a licence, especially inside the M25.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 20:37   #49
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
what about ones sited because apparently in the past there have been accidents in that location. Are they for safety reasons or just to nick speeding motorists?

I never fully grasp why people object to speed cameras. They nick only those that speed. Is the issue they want people nicked only by police officers or do they want to keep speeders on the road?
If people do not want speed cameras, don't give anyone a reason for placing them at the side of the road.

macafee2
For me my dislike of speed cameras isn’t the fact they catch people, as you say, they only catch those breaking the limit. But when they try and claim it’s for safety reasons, then hide their vans behind hedges etc rather than in plain view where it would actually slow people down.

Also the fact that you see far less police around on the roads now, seemingly been replaced by cameras that only catch people speeding, but don’t catch the people driving while on the phone, or overtaking dangerously etc. When I first started riding you were aware that police were around and could always catch you. I think it’s been around 3 months since I last saw a police car on my way to or from work. Seen the speed van several times in the same places, a few times a month. And yet on a daily basis there’s dodgy overtaking on a certain stretch of road, several accidents, but no police presence.

Last edited by bikerdude666; 14th February 2022 at 21:34..
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 21:52   #50
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

There is a village close to me with a level main road through it about half a mile long from one side to the other.It has several shops,businesses,and a crossing as well as roads emerging left and right.Plenty of potential for accidents with other vehicles or pedestrians.Where is he only place they ever position a cameravan?At the far extent of one end of the village where the road bends and goes downhill steeply and it's very easy to creep over 30mph, but the part of the road with the least threats.Less than100 feet beyond the position of the van the limit rises to 50mph.Pardon my cynicism.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote