Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th February 2022, 22:05   #11
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
That rear end is way too high!!

It looks like its affecting the rear wheel camber to me (A la Triumph Herald)
At least we could sit and work on the engine! I preferred the Vitesse although it was grossly overpowered for the brakes and suspension.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 08:09   #12
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Just listed a few thoughts and ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
So that would be what I've guessed at above i.e. aid spring/bump stop?

The Shock absorbers should never reach extent of extended travel during use,only when jacked up

Yes to the towbar, don't know to the blocks. Having had to recently troubleshoot some wiring issues with it, I'd say it was fitted not long after the car was built (not factory wiring). Where would the blocks go if they had been fitted.

If soft suspension and bottoming out blocks are available to stop coil spring compression and fit between the coils ( Crude and not a good practice really ) https://www.amazon.co.uk/UKB4C-26-38...25607528&psc=1

Just checked mine to the wheel centres. 420mm (*NOT 402 as previously stated*) rear and 389 front. I also checked the ground clearance from the centre of the undertray: 3.5 in./90mm contrasting with the factory 6.1 in./155 mm! (Thanks Suzulu for the diagram.)

I had all the tracking checked in January and wasn't too bad (but corrected obviously). The camber's always appeared to be in order.

So:
• ground clearance is 2.6 in./65mm too low (short/soft new front springs?)
High rear suspension will affect front ground clearance under front bumper
• rear wing-to-wheel centres are 30mm higher than TourerSteves (blocks/longer or heavy duty springs?)
Blocks if fitted should be obvious with visual check of springs
• front wing-to-wheel centres are 11mm lower than TourerSteves (short/soft new front springs?)
Different spring ratings for different models ( Check Rimmers ) Your car diesel which is obviously heavier than 1.8 Chances are if aftermarket the springs are generic.

Dougie.
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 13:32   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I would try a new set of shocks firstly, if they are locking up then it will alter the height.
Old 26th February 2022, 16:06   #14
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

When I bought my saloon, the rear was higher on one side. Replaced the springs and noticed that only one side had been replaced before. And it was longer in length than the original one on the other side.

So, I would check the lengths of the rear springs are the correct ones for the diesel tourer and already mentioned on this thread that the front springs are for the diesel.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 16:29   #15
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Quote:
I would try a new set of shocks firstly, if they are locking up then it will alter the height.
How do you mean locking up? I presume you're meaning the rear shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
.....I would check the lengths of the rear springs are the correct ones for the diesel tourer and already mentioned on this thread that the front springs are for the diesel.
That's a logical step and I will, thanks.

So how much can I expect the too-low front end to be caused by the too-high rear end? In other words, if the front ride height was set perfectly but the rear height was 30mm too high, how much would the front clearance be pushed downwards? I suppose I could jack the car up on the towbar and observe.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 136,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 26th February 2022 at 16:40..
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 18:10   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Dougie, have you tried to find a code sticker or a colour marker on the rear springs? There's a PDF with the original MGR spring data here* (if you can get it to open or better yet, understand it): https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...epage=techdata . Failing that, I believe the Rimmer website has it. Regarding shock absorbers, and assuming they are fully operational, they won't alter the body height. It's the springs that determine the loaded height/ground clearance. The shockers simply accomodate themselves to the distance between their mounting points without providing any significant lift. The factory springs code/colour was originally on a printed sticker on the floor under the rear seat. These do tend to deteriorate over the years, but many remain like new. Basically, on a level road surface, the lower edge of the sills should be horizontal as seen in the MGR drawings in Post 7. I doubt that raising the rear end will force the front springs down. However, the body will of course pivot on the front axles and the nose will droop a bit. I believe you can still get factory coded springs if you plan on making changes.
TC
*EDIT: Just remembered, you need to be a subscibed member to access the tech data files.

Last edited by T-Cut; 26th February 2022 at 18:14..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 18:24   #17
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Hello Dougie, have you tried to find a code sticker or a colour marker on the rear springs? There's a PDF with the original MGR spring data here* (if you can get it to open or better yet, understand it): https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...epage=techdata . Failing that, I believe the Rimmer website has it. Regarding shock absorbers, and assuming they are fully operational, they won't alter the body height. It's the springs that determine the loaded height/ground clearance. The shockers simply accomodate themselves to the distance between their mounting points without providing any significant lift. The factory springs code/colour was originally on a printed sticker on the floor under the rear seat. These do tend to deteriorate over the years, but many remain like new. Basically, on a level road surface, the lower edge of the sills should be horizontal as seen in the MGR drawings in Post 7. I doubt that raising the rear end will force the front springs down. However, the body will of course pivot on the front axles and the nose will droop a bit. I believe you can still get factory coded springs if you plan on making changes.
TC
*EDIT: Just remembered, you need to be a subscibed member to access the tech data files.
Thanks for all that. Yes, I'm aware of the sticker and the colour-codes, and I do have the data on that pdf. Also aware of the dampers not providing lift and therefore not being relevant to the ride height issue (but again thanks for the pointers ). The damper at the rear nearside is only mentioned in the context of the bang issue.

I wasn't sure of the effect of having the too-high rear springs on the low front ground clearance, and one member above reckoned it may well be caused by it. I was exploring that thought, hence the further question.

I'm planning to take the wheels off, jack the car up, make careful measurements of the unloaded springs, and try to find tech data relating to the few colour coded springs which relate to my car. If I'd got the data and opted for OEM front springs when I changed them, I'd at least be sure the front was right. But I couldn't, and didn't.

Dougie.
• 136,000 miles
Old 26th February 2022, 19:17   #18
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

By 'Locking up' The shock can stick at certain points and not allow full travel (Or no travel at all) If this is happening then it could cause your issue.

The only way to discount the hocks is to remove themand see how they compress by hand, if they work well then your issue lies with the springs.
Old 26th February 2022, 19:57   #19
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Quote:
By 'Locking up' The shock can stick at certain points and not allow full travel (Or no travel at all) If this is happening then it could cause your issue.

The only way to discount the hocks is to remove themand see how they compress by hand, if they work well then your issue lies with the springs.
Got it. Thanks.

*Actually, do you mean the front? Slightly confused now. I changed the front ones recently along with the springs so they shouldn't be sticking.

Dougie.
• 136,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 26th February 2022 at 19:59..
Old 26th February 2022, 20:40   #20
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
Got it. Thanks.

*Actually, do you mean the front? Slightly confused now. I changed the front ones recently along with the springs so they shouldn't be sticking.

Dougie.
No, the rears Dougie.