Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st April 2022, 09:33   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default Driver fined £1000 for passing too close to cyclist.

Ouch! That's a hefty fine & points for not actually touching the cyclist but the new law states you have to give them a wide berth, Personally if I was the driver I would have stopped & let them pass by on that narrow road, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ntry-lane.html

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 10:00   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I'm rather confused about exactly what made the cyclist fall off .

The cyclist in front didn't. Can't see the one with the camera but it doesn't look as if they fell off either.

The Land Rover is pretty much as far over as they could be on the other side of the road. It doesn't look as if it's hurtling along at Warp Factor 8?

There's no blaring horn or anything else to overload and/or massively shock the senses.

I'm guessing there isn't any footage from the Land Rover but it would be interesting to see it if there was. Was the cyclist "wobbling" as they came towards each other or perfectly straight and balanced? Was there anything at all to alert the driver that the cyclists might be more than a "general" hazard?

Erm....

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 1st April 2022 at 10:12..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 11:35   #3
mbev51
Banned

Removed

As a live long cyclist, I find some drivers a brilliant at given us room and some are frighteningly bad.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 12:37   #4
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Ive watched the video- the driver was too fast given the width of the road and traffic on it. The lady needs to get out a bit more on her bike and realise is transport not a toy. The driver was just NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- minded but unfortunately this can and does apply equally to some road users, particularly those with tons of metal round them. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 13:20   #5
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Over on a Landy site this has drawn much comment, some not repeatable.

It seems that the cyclist had her feet in clips so wouldn't have been able to get her feet down very quickly. The driver, whilst not going quickly, was perhaps travelling too fast for the situation. The cyclists' use of bad language was not acceptable, any other road user would possibly have been taken to task over that.

Wonder if the one with the camera actually caused the lady to fall off?

Have always given cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders a very wide berth. Strange that some cyclists and pedestrians do not do the same. Cars have a number of blind spots and it's very easy to lose site of other road users. We all need to be careful. I'm sure the new rules will help the situation.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 16:21   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

It now appears that according to the new rules Cyclists, although they dont have to pay to go on the roads IE insurance Road licence ETC have more rights than car drivers have, you can expect more claims for compensation from cyclists who throw themselves off their bikes if a vehicle comes anywhere near them.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 16:24   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

The landy is close, too close. Perhaps the driver should have stopped and let the cyclists pass. Being so close there was little room for the cyclists to fall or severe to their right. A gust of wind could have caused the swerve. The landy driver was not driving with the "what if" in their train of thought.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 16:31   #8
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

No excuse from that LR driver. Too fast and too close. The cyclists were on the edge of the road as much as possible. I cycle more days than I drive and have too frequently felt the draught of a car passing within centimetres of me, afterwards considering myself lucky I didn’t wobble at that moment. Respect other road users, keep calm.
Old 1st April 2022, 16:37   #9
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I've had another good look at the video.

What's everyone's take on what the lead cyclist does in the seconds just before the second cyclist falls off?

To me it looks like they slow down/stop?

What is the audio saying? Not the bleeped out bits, what is said just before the falling off?

If the lead cyclist does slow down/stop then the could second cyclist be calling for them to move on and that would explain what happens as the second cyclist has nowhere to go and, as they can't put a foot down, fall off.

As with many things, I think there's much more to this than a simple...... vehicle comes the other way, maybe a bit close, maybe a bit fast and a cyclist falls off.

But the Judicial system has clearly laid the blame at the driver's door.

And for those that think I don't get it, I use to cycle to get the train to work down a path alongside the dual carriageway A38. There's no barrier, no fence, nothing but a strip of grass then the kerbstones. A wobble would have prevented me from writing this as I'd have been under 30 tonnes of truck travelling at 60mph. And yes, there is a great deal of wind blast and draw coming from those trucks so it would be very easy to come off the path into the live lane. So I rode accordingly. If I had ended up on the trunk road would that have been the fault of the truck driver? Or will it be now?

Perhaps I should have ridden in the carriageway itself? There was an elderly gent on a trike who used to do this. The number of near misses was rather high - trucks doing 60mph in Lane 1 and cars doing 70mph in Lane 2 coming across trike doing maybe 15mph at the time when folks are going to work or coming home .

Yes, the gent is perfectly entitled to use the dual carriageway but the reality is it doesn't matter who is in the "right" when you've just been crushed and/or caused a multiple pile up.

IMHO it isn't always someone else's fault there must be a degree of, dare I say it, common sense.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 1st April 2022 at 18:36..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 18:04   #10
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
As a live long cyclist, I find some drivers a brilliant at given us room and some are frighteningly bad.
And everything inbetween. Not exactly overloaded with insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
It now appears that according to the new rules Cyclists, although they dont have to pay to go on the roads IE insurance Road licence ETC have more rights than car drivers have, you can expect more claims for compensation from cyclists who throw themselves off their bikes if a vehicle comes anywhere near them.
This is the way it is in Holland & has been for many years.

On balance, l think the Landy should have slowed down somewhat, straight lane with plenty of visual warning. And the fine is obviously aimed at making an example & drawing attention to the new road hierarchy.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote