Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th May 2020, 18:46   #71
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Well I am about ready to break all of the lockdown rules..

I will now have to isolate when returning home from abroad (If we are ever allowed to fly again)

I can happily work with 200+ folk daily as a key worker, Deb comes into contact with thousands of people each week in her job.

How the hell is joe public going to be able to holiday now? this is just the kiss of death for the airlines and tourism in general.

So, why the hell do I have to isolate following time out of the country? If this was that important why is it only starting now? We have been allowing people free access across our borders up to now.

The powers that be are using this as an excuse to bring in tracking, green policies and any other bvllshit that they feel is necessary.

Trikey not happy
Old 10th May 2020, 21:24   #72
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Where did you hear that Steve?

I'd be interested to hear from our Swedish members, and how they are coping with the covid crisis.

Anyway I hope you and the hound are keeping well.

Brian

Answering Brian’s request to hear from Sweden — I am very thankful that I live here in Sweden rather than the UK, judging by what I read in the papers and hear from my brother down in Plymouth.

While most Swedes are alert to the danger I believe that people are behaving in a sensible manner without being ordered to do so. We can travel where we want, go shopping (well filled shops) even go to pubs and restaurants, although I think you’ll find it’s mostly the younger generation going out eating and drinking. Those who can work from home do so, others continue as before but there has been a reduction in footfall in shopping centres so many non-essential shops (clothing etc) have closed.

Personally, I go out for daily walks, take care of the shopping and tend our large garden. Conversations with neighbours are at a distance, no handshakes, but there again virtually no face masks - actually saw a guy last week in Lidl with one, not at all common and stood out.

Swedes are supportive of their government, the idea of not having to face a second wave makes sense, but there is criticism of the high mortality rates in retirement homes. The ruling Social Democrates have seen their popularity rise quite dramatically, mirroring the feeling that they’ve handled the situation better than many other European countries.

Keep well,

Mike
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2020, 14:24   #73
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The rules for 14 days quarantine for people returning to the UK is daft. They will be left to their own devices and trusted to comply. They will not be monitored by anyone and because of the numbers it makes a mockery of those that do the right thing. Closing the stable door comes to mind. There are thousands of them, and have had no checks on their departure from whence they came. We either have controls or we don't.
Old 11th May 2020, 14:41   #74
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
The rules for 14 days quarantine for people returning to the UK is daft. They will be left to their own devices and trusted to comply. They will not be monitored by anyone and because of the numbers it makes a mockery of those that do the right thing. Closing the stable door comes to mind. There are thousands of them, and have had no checks on their departure from whence they came. We either have controls or we don't.

Exactly, And why no quarantine for lorry drivers arriving from abroad?

And why is arriving from France exempt? Sounds to me like these new rules have been drawn up in crayola by a four year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th May 2020, 15:04   #75
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
It won't be until they get on top of mass testing of all types that we'll know the full extent of the spread of this disease, especially a reliable antibody test to see who's had it and who hasn't.
Suspect more of the population have had this :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52589449
Hope the owners of the home get on top of getting the right PPE.

Take care both of you, stay safe.

Russ
We had similar symptoms earlier in the year (remember my visit from that Russian? Ivor Chestikov). It all started from my son and grandson, who both had chesty coughs (my son works with Chinese companies who send visitors to his factory regularly!) We all had really bad, chesty coughs, headaches and general tiredness which went on aaaaages! All fine at the moment thankfully.
Old 11th May 2020, 16:08   #76
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Exactly, And why no quarantine for lorry drivers arriving from abroad?

And why is arriving from France exempt? Sounds to me like these new rules have been drawn up in crayola by a four year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's very generous of you Andy. Sounds to me like a carve up on a quid pro quo basis over some future negotiations or something. And of course it transpires that Macron 'threatened' BJ and BJ gave in.

Last edited by wraymond; 11th May 2020 at 16:17..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2020, 16:19   #77
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
We had similar symptoms earlier in the year (remember my visit from that Russian? Ivor Chestikov). It all started from my son and grandson, who both had chesty coughs (my son works with Chinese companies who send visitors to his factory regularly!) We all had really bad, chesty coughs, headaches and general tiredness which went on aaaaages! All fine at the moment thankfully.
I posed the question "Who had a irritating cough that lasted for ages?" in February on our local f/b page, over 500 people answered in the positive The horse has well and truly bolted on this one
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2020, 21:04   #78
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I posed the question "Who had a irritating cough that lasted for ages?" in February on our local f/b page, over 500 people answered in the positive The horse has well and truly bolted on this one
Ronnie if you consider if you have patient zero, and an R figure of three, over the space of ninety days patient zero will have infected 872 7963568087 7124258913 9747947672 7340041449 people.

That is 3 to the power of 90, so how likely is an exponential infection rate such as that I wonder? and what is the entire world population

Scary?, more like cobblers I'd say

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 10:09   #79
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Answering Brian’s request to hear from Sweden — I am very thankful that I live here in Sweden rather than the UK, judging by what I read in the papers and hear from my brother down in Plymouth.

While most Swedes are alert to the danger I believe that people are behaving in a sensible manner without being ordered to do so. We can travel where we want, go shopping (well filled shops) even go to pubs and restaurants, although I think you’ll find it’s mostly the younger generation going out eating and drinking. Those who can work from home do so, others continue as before but there has been a reduction in footfall in shopping centres so many non-essential shops (clothing etc) have closed.

Personally, I go out for daily walks, take care of the shopping and tend our large garden. Conversations with neighbours are at a distance, no handshakes, but there again virtually no face masks - actually saw a guy last week in Lidl with one, not at all common and stood out.

Swedes are supportive of their government, the idea of not having to face a second wave makes sense, but there is criticism of the high mortality rates in retirement homes. The ruling Social Democrates have seen their popularity rise quite dramatically, mirroring the feeling that they’ve handled the situation better than many other European countries.

Keep well,

Mike
Hi Mike

Thank you very much for telling us how things are in Sweden. How are you coping?

Here in Kenya, we are restricted to staying in the city of Nairobi, no one is allowed out of the city and at night it is curfew. Other cities or towns have similar restrictions.

Those who are not essential workers and and who are caught breaking the curfew after 7pm or trying to leave the city, are beaten or flogged with sticks and whips, arrested and fined. Offenders/suspects are taken to a football stadium in Nairobi for processing and heard before a magistrate. If they can't pay the fine, they have to do community service. Everyone has to wear a mask, it is mandatory and social distancing has to be observed, it is the law here. When people get home from being out in the community, they have to wash and change their clothes, hand washing is mandatory.

Only this week the government announced they will pay for people to go into quarantine in a government facility at 2,000 KES per night £15.25 for up to 21 days. This applies to those who are sick or visitors arriving in from outside of the country, although all airports are closed.

At the moment, the deaths from punishment beatings exceed the number of deaths from the virus. The President here has condemned the police and social media here is monitored for anyone slagging off the country

I am due to fly to the UK on 31 May and so far the airline has not cancelled the flight. I accept I will have to self quarantine following my arrival. I can't see its a hardship, but it will kill tourism for visitors entering the UK whose free time is restricted. Take the U.S citizens planning a holiday to the UK. A lot of them only get 2 weeks holiday a year and I don't blame them for cancelling their holidays because of the quarantine rules. I wonder what will happen to someone visiting the UK from abroad who is on holiday and breaks the conditions of the quarantine.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 12th May 2020 at 10:11..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 20:26   #80
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Coping very well thank you Philip, as you seem to be, although it must help to be used to the way things are down there - rather shocking to hear of the heavy handed approach as I had imagined Kenya to be more progressive. My visit to Mombasa during the Beira patrol days (not my idea!) produced favourable memories, including spending Christmas Day drinking G & Ts on the beach.

What we hear here in Sweden is that most of us will at some time get this virus, the trick is preventing us from getting it all at the same time. Current estimates for Stockholm suggest that 26% of the population have been infected, some say a higher figure. And even if you have ‘flu like symptoms you can’t get tested unless you’re a care worker, you get told to stay at home until free from symptoms meanwhile your kids go to school (still open) and other half go to work as usual. Thankfully the Swedish NHS are coping well, ICUs are operating at below max. capacity and the field hospitals haven’t yet been used. But the Swedes are kicking themselves slightly as unlike Finland Sweden has done away with all its wartime contingencies supplies. The Finns are forever suspicious of their eastern neighbour and rightly so.

You are fortunate to be able to fly even though you face a period of quarantine, mind you from what I hear of the situation in UK everyone is just about in quarantine compared to here, even with some easing of the restrictions. Strange that some flights are still operating, not here - I believe that except for a few domestic flights all aircraft are grounded.

Hope your flight goes ahead and you keep well,

Mike
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote