Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th May 2020, 18:28   #11
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The low battery won't have a bearing on the airbag light, no need to clear the fault codes from the ecu, once you have the underseat wiring sorted the airbag light will go away.

It will be an underseat connector if the light goes off now and again, if any of the other sensors fail the light will stay on permanently.
Old 17th May 2020, 21:03   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Another reason for the warning light to illuminate is a failed side impact sensor and is a common cause of the light staying on , often caused but not always by damp floors / leaks destroying the sensor. It is bolted to a cross member under the passenger seat ( LHS ) - green in colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post

These are best to use if you are going to change out the original connectors under the seats.

The side sensor under the carpet will be orange not green on a 2004 car, before that it would have been green but not the one in the ebay add so do not purchase if you do find its the sensor under the carpet.

Green on the left before 2004 / Orange 2004 & after.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 22:00   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Buy a charger from Lidles.

Leave it permanently connected to the battery when the car is garaged.

Not dear at all to buy and will trickle charge your battery so it's ready for any use you want to put your car to.

All the short amounts of charging you have been giving your battery is probably what has ruined it.----

If the cigarette lighter socket remains live with the engine switched off then just plug your charger, with the lead supplied, straight into the socket.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2020, 14:07   #14
GeoffA

Rover 75 Saloon

Right just coming back on the issue now. I have fitted a new battery (car started first time ) but the airbag light stayed on. After redoing the inner drivers side connections - this time removing the spades and soldering the wires together/heatshrink - the light was still on. I had a go at the previously untouched outer connection ( just taking it apart WD40 and putting it back together again ) and low and behold the light was off . Took car for a test run all ok. For the moment anyway. So it could have been both connections or just the outer one - who knows. There's nowt so funny as connections. Note Artics pics for underseat connectors - thankyou.

I have downloaded that TOAF thing that Vitesse put me onto. Not installed it yet but keeping it by me for possible future use.

Note Colverts comments re battery - The battery I bought it was from Halfords and it was a Calcium battery. I just went for the price really. I still don't know if the charging problem with the other battery was to do with it or the charger. However reading up on batteries I was somewhat unsure, even if the charger was ok, whether it would be ok for a calcium battery ( being 30+ years old ). Am posting a question seperately about that.

Mean while thank you for your responses.
GeoffA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2020, 20:05   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Just curious but what sort of description did Halfords give for the CALCIUM battery ???
Old 20th May 2020, 20:33   #16
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I'm also curious regarding calcium batteries. Just bought my second Yuasa 096 from Halfords, the first one lasted over 7yrs so thought I'd go again. No idea if it's a calcium or not but I know it's probably double the weight of shall we say an 'average' battery.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 07:17   #17
GeoffA

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Just curious but what sort of description did Halfords give for the CALCIUM battery ???

See this link

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ba...ee-952473.html
GeoffA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 21:05   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffA View Post
Thanks for the link Jeff.--Halfords don't give much detail really.

The regulator in the alternator in our cars is set to charge a lead-acid battery successfully.--Might be a tad too low for a Calcium battery under normal conditions.

Time will tell but don't be surprised if it only manages a couple of years good service.----
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:03   #19
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffA View Post
Right just coming back on the issue now. I have fitted a new battery (car started first time ) but the airbag light stayed on. After redoing the inner drivers side connections - this time removing the spades and soldering the wires together/heatshrink - the light was still on. I had a go at the previously untouched outer connection ( just taking it apart WD40 and putting it back together again ) and low and behold the light was off . Took car for a test run all ok. For the moment anyway. So it could have been both connections or just the outer one - who knows. There's nowt so funny as connections. Note Artics pics for underseat connectors - thankyou.

I have downloaded that TOAF thing that Vitesse put me onto. Not installed it yet but keeping it by me for possible future use.

Note Colverts comments re battery - The battery I bought it was from Halfords and it was a Calcium battery. I just went for the price really. I still don't know if the charging problem with the other battery was to do with it or the charger. However reading up on batteries I was somewhat unsure, even if the charger was ok, whether it would be ok for a calcium battery ( being 30+ years old ). Am posting a question seperately about that.

Mean while thank you for your responses.
the air bag light will stay on as its been recorded in the ecu as a fault . it will only clear when the fault has been rectified rgds mark i would say its the air bag sensor under the carpet near the b pillar i had the same problem and it cured it rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 10:03   #20
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Steve the connectors you referred to are now out of stock do you know of any alternative supplers as although iI replaced the connectors with bullit connectors the light is still coming on, I think they need better connectors and the wires soldered.

Thanks
Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote