Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th February 2020, 18:08   #1
Gray

MG ZT-T Turbo 160

Default Unable to open drivers door from the outside or inside.

I am unable to open the drivers door from the outside or inside. All other doors open with the key fob. Cable is connected for the internal handle.
Is it possible that the ‘dead lock’ is stuck?
Does anyone have any suggestions please.
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 18:36   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

You need to get behind the door card, there is a screw behind the handle that you can get to and one behind the A pillar that you cannot.

Undo the screw you can get to and work your way around the edge of the door card releasing the clips. you should be able to get your hand behind the card, if not a sharp tug up and away will release the card from the door with the exception of the hidden screw ( don't be shy pulling the card)

Then, you need to get through the sound insulation sheet to access the lock mechanism. You are looking for / feeling for a white plastic clip that fits around a threaded bar. you need to open the clip so it is free of the bar and the door should then open from the inside lever.

Not a nice job, search on here there are many threads about this. I first discovered this fault after around 3 hours working on another members car trying to open the door, next option was the angle grinder.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 19:19   #3
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

as stocktake says mine was the same due to the white plastic inside the door freezing and the rods had come off i went to bigg russ up west yorkshire and he sorted it out great job he did with no damage rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 20:04   #4
Gray

MG ZT-T Turbo 160

Default Thank you

Thank you for the response to my question......it worked and access has been gained to the drivers side of the car.
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2020, 13:55   #5
Steve2016
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Hello, I have a similar problem with my front passenger door.
The central locking had started to play up, in that it would lock all the doors, but would not unlock the front passenger door (very occasionally it worked perfectly for one or two operations then started mis-behaving again).
I'm unemployed at present so have plenty of time but not much dosh so I bought a used lock mechanism for £20. Worth a punt I thought.
I got it fitted in a couple of hours, got the door card back on nice and neat and shut the door. Pressed the buttons on the fob and hay presto it locks and unlocks every time - brilliant.
However, the door will not open with either the inside or outside handle. It is unlocked (button is up) but the latch won't release.

I've done some trawling of forums and got as far as easing the top of the door card off and got my hand inside to push the release lever down, but to no avail. I've released the plastic clip attaching the exterior handle mechanism to the latch lever and pushed it down as hard as I can, but still no joy.
"Superlock" is mentioned in some threads, do you think this could be the problem?

Do you have any ideas for what I could try next?

Many Thanks, Steve
Steve2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2020, 16:42   #6
Steve2016
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I've just done some more tests...
When sat in the car and unlocking with the fob, I can hear and feel a vibration from the stuck lock on the first press (that only opens the driver's door) as well as the second press. Could this mean that the deadlock is releasing and that the problem is just a mechanical jam?
Old 13th September 2020, 16:50   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2016 View Post
I've just done some more tests...
When sat in the car and unlocking with the fob, I can hear and feel a vibration from the stuck lock on the first press (that only opens the driver's door) as well as the second press. Could this mean that the deadlock is releasing and that the problem is just a mechanical jam?
Check the child lock isn't on
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2020, 16:52   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Hi Steve, it sounds like the fitting of the white clip around the threaded bar is in the wrong place. you need to follow post 2 in this thread to release the clip and then open the door from the inside. once adjusting the threaded bar in the clip ( I start with three or four threads showing below the clip) and operate the door from inside and out repeatedly ( even going for a short ride and operating again ) before refitting the door card.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2020, 19:10   #9
Steve2016
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Stocktake, I have already released the white clip you mention and pressed the mechanism down, but to no avail. Could it just be mechanically jammed?

Is there a child lock on the front door like Suzublu suggests?

Thanks, Steve
Old 13th September 2020, 19:22   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2016 View Post
Hi Stocktake, I have already released the white clip you mention and pressed the mechanism down, but to no avail. Could it just be mechanically jammed?

Is there a child lock on the front door like Suzublu suggests?

Thanks, Steve
Ah, front door no child lock there, sorry
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote