Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th September 2019, 17:40   #11
JohnnyBG

Rover 75 Tourer

My Bond 875 in which I'd put a semi race cam, up rated oil pump and ridiculous rear wheels wouldn't be far behind........................although it looked like a dodgem car.

Only thing was that at 75-80mph it wanted to flip over even with the front mounted petrol tank full and half a bag of soft sand in the front as well.

FBR 666D was torched by numpties in it's lock up!
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyBG For This Useful Post:
Old 14th October 2019, 00:15   #12
Jay
This is my second home

Former owner Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 CDTi Now a Chrysler 300c CRD SRT Design V6 Auto

Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,169 Posts

For the camera. If you see the next video you can see it can be quite without the grunt, until I backed it up to the camera

Thanks for your input into the rating Phil. The braking system is just has to been felt with the drilled out disks and massive calipers

Last edited by Jay; 14th October 2019 at 00:18..
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 21:37   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

T4

Thanked 8,463 Times in 5,076 Posts

[QUOTE=JohnnyBG;2765474]My Bond 875 in which I'd put a semi race cam, up rated oil pump and ridiculous rear wheels wouldn't be far behind.....QUOTE]

My Uncle once fitted an Ariel square four engine into one of those...
Old 17th October 2019, 22:16   #14
Jay
This is my second home

Former owner Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 CDTi Now a Chrysler 300c CRD SRT Design V6 Auto

Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,169 Posts

[QUOTE=trikey;2768675]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBG View Post
My Bond 875 in which I'd put a semi race cam, up rated oil pump and ridiculous rear wheels wouldn't be far behind.....QUOTE]

My Uncle once fitted an Ariel square four engine into one of those...
Trikey. Nothing would surprise me with you Andy
Old 18th October 2019, 22:56   #15
bl52krz
Nil Desperandum

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,129 Posts

I remember a chap had an Arial Square Four with a sidecar on at the G.E.C. at Witton in B’nam in the 50s. We all used to queue up at the bottom of Wyrley road , and the copper used to call him to the front of the queue(think he had a passion for one) and when he called us all on, the Square Four used to pull away with the sidecar almost going sideways up the road, leaving a black mark from the sidecar tyre. And the noise, fantastic.Those were the days of the Black Shadow?
Old 18th October 2019, 23:13   #16
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post

Porsche's are boring.

Though l like the 928 & the Panamera.
Never fully understood the attraction for the "pendulous" Porsches. Clarkson once described them as tarted up Beetle VWs. There is more than a little truth in that.

On the other hand, there is a Porsche I do really like. The one that many true believer Porsche old school enthusiasts tend to bad mouth at every opportunity. Yes like you TRM, the Panamera ... much less pendulous drivetrain configuration. My kind of Porsche..

It has to be made to make sense... with emphasis on MADE in GB
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2019, 23:30   #17
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up So that's what is meant by torque...

About a year after the 75/ZT V8s appeared, me in my 620ti "matched strides" with a near neighbour in his 75 V8. This from a near standstill in a remote part of the county on a deserted long uphill stretch. There was nothing in it with acceleration up to the legal NSL. As we approached a bend at the crest of the hill, the V8 driver lifted off first. Which was convenient as we were side by side up to that pont.

I still want a V8 ZT, ideally the "Estate" ZT-T version. Back when they first appeared, a contractor at the firm I then worked for had a ZT-T V8 in silver. The fact that the V8s do not have a firecracker performance is a plus for me on UK's frustratingly over crowded roads. The apparently low tune design ( = understressed V8 ) being another attraction for me.

My days when engines screamed round towards 10,000 rpm are well behind me now... Motor Cycles of course and that was before I sampled a Vincent Black Shadow... So that's what is meant by torque..

Old 19th October 2019, 21:01   #18
marinabrian
Baculum magicum

A few too many

Thanked 8,873 Times in 4,853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
About a year after the 75/ZT V8s appeared, me in my 620ti "matched strides" with a near neighbour in his 75 V8. This from a near standstill in a remote part of the county on a deserted long uphill stretch. There was nothing in it with acceleration up to the legal NSL. As we approached a bend at the crest of the hill, the V8 driver lifted off first. Which was convenient as we were side by side up to that pont.

I still want a V8 ZT, ideally the "Estate" ZT-T version. Back when they first appeared, a contractor at the firm I then worked for had a ZT-T V8 in silver. The fact that the V8s do not have a firecracker performance is a plus for me on UK's frustratingly over crowded roads. The apparently low tune design ( = understressed V8 ) being another attraction for me.

My days when engines screamed round towards 10,000 rpm are well behind me now... Motor Cycles of course and that was before I sampled a Vincent Black Shadow... So that's what is meant by torque..
Buy one then John, don't be disappointed when you drive it though, they have loads of torque, and can pull from 25 MPH to 155 without changing gear.

We are a long time dead, I scratched the V8 ZT itch and the scab came away nicely after a couple of weeks.

Brian

Sent from my Jupiter Ace running a 16k RAM pack and Chuck Moore FORTH
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2019, 21:31   #19
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Cool Cannot win 'em all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Buy one then John, don't be disappointed when you drive it though, they have loads of torque, and can pull from 25 MPH to 155 without changing gear.

We are a long time dead, I scratched the V8 ZT itch and the scab came away nicely after a couple of weeks.

Brian
Yes Brian, I am a aware of the strength of your enthusiasm for the ZT V8s. It is an itch that I too plan to scratch in my overflowing bucket list of things to do. I realise I shall need to live a thousand years before my bucket list is emptied....

I shall get one and if I run into problems I cannot fix myself, mainly on account of rapidly increasing old age... ... there's a geezer up in the "Peoples' Republic of North Tyneside" I can turn too who reputedly is more than a tad useful with the tools and other MG and Rover related gizmos...

By the way, you may have noticed I like a wager or two on sporting events and this Saturday was no exception. Again I had a couple of Lucky fifteen and Yankee combination and some singles bets on four of my local lower league football teams. Cheltenham Town, Forest Green Rovers, Gloucester City and Newport County. I had my TV with BBC's Final Score ( Channel 601 FREEVIEW ) on in my double garage ( there's posh for you ) as I worked on some car jobs this afternoon. At one stage all FOUR of my teams were leading with not many minutes to go. So, decided to cash in one of those combination bets. Only needed one of the opposing teams to score and draw to greatly reduce the winnings. Quickly fired up my LapTop and that took precious seconds... minutes actually. Guess what, by the time I had logged onto the on-line bookie to cash in, Mansfield Town had scored an equaliser against Forest Green Rovers who at one time were 2-Nil up! So only three of my local teams won. Smaller murphy's are appreciated of course but what might have been if I had moved sooner. He who hesitates Rodders scenario ..

Currently watching highlights of lower league games on QUEST Channel 12 FREEVIEW. May give the FGR v. Mansfield highlights a miss...make a quick cuppa... Oh what might have been... . Cannot win 'em all...

Old 19th October 2019, 21:40   #20
stevestrat
Analogue guy in a digital world!

ZT260 #243

Thanked 3,391 Times in 2,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
They have their faults, many owners get all hot and bothered when Brian points them out, personally I don't give a toss, what Brian says is right, it is underdeveloped!

It is a lazy lump of an engine that will potter around all day but is also capable of leaving a few hundred miles of tread on the road when you have a daft turn.

Cabin heaters can have a mind of their own, watch the rear subframes for corrosion, water hose from inlet manifold to cabin heater is prone to going pop (uprated hose available from 260 OC), where the hose attaches to the plastic inlet manifold can crumble. Engine parts, best source is Rock Auto in the States. Because of the cobbled together electrics they can be "funny" with a T4, there's a "Gateway" ECU to allow the Ford engine to speak to the MGR systems!

28 mpg (not much less than a V6) is perfectly obtainable on a long run. They're just an impractical fun car, I love mine.

"The Girls" Maya, Suzy & Pops

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevestrat For This Useful Post: