Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th March 2022, 10:33   #16
jon cee

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
So at what rate does the drain run would be one of my first questions. Does it run the battery right down over a day or two, or does it take a number of days without the car being used, The answer to this will assist in various opinions of where the fault may lay, otherwise you may find yourself stripping multiple components down to find no fault, and then move onto the next potential issue based on a whim. However a few suggestions to begin with -
When one of these vehicles (Diesel) get a T-4 diagnostic check, a regular fault that gets thrown up is the Glow Plug Relay issue. This often shows as a fault but offers no other issues.but initself may be causing a drain because of water ingress or general failure, but may still cause a fairly good draw of power. This is located with the engine ecu beneath the windscreen wiper arm on the n/s. Sometimes a central door locking motor can become tired and take a very long time to complete it's cycle.
Also some audio equipment installations can have failures, the highline sat nav system fitted as factory fit can get drowned via water ingress in the loadspace, this will cause many problems which may not be noticeable until the entire audio system gives up and fails totally.
So a few pointers to consider, but again the level of draw-down needs to be estimated and inform the group of helpers to in turn help you.
Finally, you will find there are many places that really dont want to work on these cars, these tend to be oil filter spinner type garages who want it easy and dont use logic in their process of fixing stuff !

think I might unplug the radio completely to test if this makes a difference, would i need to unplug the radio from behind, or can i just remove a fuse ? and what about the 6 disc changer in the glovebox, ? unplug from the back or remove a fuse ?
I have a horrible feeling my mate who suggested the steroe might be the problem to begin with, might be right after all, although the stereo was working right for months after the battery drain problem started and for months before the steering wheel controls started playing up. thanks for the tip
jon cee is offline   Reply With Quote