Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th December 2013, 19:47   #1
Matt V6
Avid contributor

MG6 Ocean Blue

Default Alternator

Hi

Can someone please explain to me how the alternator works ?

I have a 2.5 v6 and have read about the alternators having a regulator, is this true ?

Does the regulator alter the output to the battery/charging voltage depending on the battery state ?

Thanks in advance
Matt
Matt V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 19:54   #2
okenora
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn CDT SE + intelligence pack

Regulator is slight misnomer if you use the common English understanding of it, the word limiter describes its purpose better. The alternator produces in excess of the 14v or so needed so the regulator limits this back down to the 14v needed. It also helps to remove ripple on the voltage which is an artefact of the rectification of the AC voltage the alternator produces
okenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 10:52   #3
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt V6 View Post
Hi

I have a 2.5 v6 and have read about the alternators having a regulator, is this true ?

Does the regulator alter the output to the battery/charging voltage depending on the battery state ?

Thanks in advance
Matt
Simple check to see if alternator is producing sufficient current. Get a test meter and measure voltage at battery when car switched off. Should read 12 point something volts. Start car and repeat measurement. Should now read 14 point something volts. If still reading 12 alternator not working.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 11:35   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Hi

Thanks in advance
Matt
The alternator is able to produce around 120v AC, via its three phases. The three phases are rectified to produce the DC voltage needed by the car. A single phase would produce a very ragged DC, so the more phases the smoother.

The stator winding, the none rotating part, actually produces the voltage and the current, but the amount is controlled by the amount of magnetic effect produced by the field coils and it is the field which is varied to control the output. Because the field coils are rotating, the current has to be fed into them via brushes and slip rings.

The output of the alternator first has to be converted to DC by three rectifiers, one for each phase. That then feeds into what is known a a regulator. The regulator simply compares the output voltage against its reference voltage, if the voltage is too high, it reduces the field coil current, if its too low it increases the field coil current. It also measure the current it is outputting and ensures it remains below its maximum current limit.

The actual output voltage when running should be between 14.5 and 14.0v, depending upon electrical load and whether the car has just been started, or has been running for a while.

Likely, you didn't really want to know all of that, but you did ask :-)

Basically if you measure more than 14.0v across the battery, with the engine running, your alternator is fine. If it shows more than 14.0v with engine running, everything turned on and at around 2,000rpm it would seem to confirm all is fine.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 14th December 2013 at 11:49..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 17:50   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

And here's a pretty picture for you---------

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternator..jpg (69.5 KB, 7 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 18:04   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/alternator2.htm

Have a look in here.
Old 14th December 2013, 18:14   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Hi

Thanks in advance
Matt
Now you have read all of this go to the section----'really really useful info' at the top of the main page and find out what your alternator is doing to your battery.

Colvert.

Last edited by COLVERT; 16th December 2013 at 20:55..
Old 14th December 2013, 18:21   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okenora View Post
Regulator is slight misnomer if you use the common English understanding of it, the word limiter describes its purpose better. The alternator produces in excess of the 14v or so needed so the regulator limits this back down to the 14v needed. It also helps to remove ripple on the voltage which is an artefact of the rectification of the AC voltage the alternator produces
Sorry----beg to differ.

Regulator describes its action perfectly.
Old 14th December 2013, 18:50   #9
Matt V6
Avid contributor

MG6 Ocean Blue

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies and information.

I have run the car today with the diagnostic on test 9 for the voltage, And it didn't move far from 14.2v all day.

When I got home I put my meter across the battery, and it showed 11v ?

I was once again confused and got a second meter, which gave a reading of 14.1v.

From this I can be happy that my alternator is fine, and my multimeter is the faulty part !

Once again thanks.

Matt
Matt V6 is offline   Reply With Quote