Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2020, 08:18   #31
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
BBC News - Environment Agency chief: Avoid building new homes on flood plains unless they are resilient to flooding.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51620992
Give the man a knighthood. Pure genius!!
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 11:09   #32
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

On the car radio this morning there was a chap who had been appointed a spokesman for a village/town that has been flooded. Right in the middle of a flood plain, it was a development of about 20 years ago and most of the houses had been new builds. They were quite expensive and in a delightful rural area.

He was saying the government had allowed building on that land so the householders should be reimbursed the purchase price of the homes as they were now worth nothing because nobody would buy them.

He said the householders had lost their future expectation of investment gains so their retirement plans were dashed and that should be considered.

That’s not necessarily the most efficient way to achieve one’s aims.
I nearly crashed the car. I pondered if I could claim against him if I had.
Old 25th February 2020, 11:53   #33
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

It's a tragedy when your home is inundated like this, it should be a haven and when it turns into a horror nobody outside feels what it's really like.

I would take bets that the solicitors' enquiries made no mention of 'flood plain' anywhere and that the enquiry schedules do not contain specific categories relating. If indeed they do and have been properly answered and signed off by the buyer then the liability is obvious.

There seems to be a greater examination of worthiness in the used car trade than buying a house.
Old 25th February 2020, 14:13   #34
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Caveat emptor has to be shouted at anybody blaming other people for their purchase. Flood plain is just that and clearly, not to be taken lightly. We would all like there to be no bad consequences of such a purchase or build, and it is very sad for those affected.

Nature holds the reins and no-one can predict the amount of rain that will fall.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 13:42   #35
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

This caveat emptor thing is interesting and to some extent seems to be misunderstood.

There are ‘enquiries before contract’ concerning basic conditions and then the transfer document and transfer of funds to ensure completion. The desirability of the property, its financial value and condition are not necessarily part of that.

Those factors are covered under the survey and insurance position and only become a factor for the solicitor if specifically asked for – that would be unusual. If a full survey failed to disclose important factors that might conceivably be important then there would some grounds for complaint.

Apparently some prospective purchasers think solicitors are required to offer advice concerning the financial sense of the purchase. They are in fact only ensuring the legal aspects of contract law are met and that all matters concerning the conveyance or transfer of title are properly completed – so avoiding dispute later on.

It is entirely a matter for the buyer to satisfy himself that the purchase is to his needs and means at the time of the purchase. Let the buyer beware is a well established, although lawyers love to argue it, principle.
Old 27th February 2020, 01:28   #36
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

No, I don't agree with a number of views on this thread. We thrive as a species because we pull together. In our birthday suits and as individuals there are many critters which are born with the ability to take us down in their natural environments ... assuming we survive their environments long enough for them to do so. Something is wrong when problems are not solved and repeat despite much wonga grabs from those who are charged with serving the source of those wonga grabs. I don't live in a flood zone, but I think something needs to be done to help those who do and we should collectively stand up to the mark with respect to this. Money does not grow on trees but metaphorically speaking do we need so many of them when huge continents survive with much less of them.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2020, 12:16   #37
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
No, I don't agree with a number of views on this thread. We thrive as a species because we pull together. In our birthday suits and as individuals there are many critters which are born with the ability to take us down in their natural environments ... assuming we survive their environments long enough for them to do so. Something is wrong when problems are not solved and repeat despite much wonga grabs from those who are charged with serving the source of those wonga grabs. I don't live in a flood zone, but I think something needs to be done to help those who do and we should collectively stand up to the mark with respect to this. Money does not grow on trees but metaphorically speaking do we need so many of them when huge continents survive with much less of them.
You are right of course, we have an earned reputation for charitable and generous unstinting attitudes to those in need. The relaxation of planning rules to allow building in previously risky areas is at the root of the current disaster. As said earlier there always have been suitable safe alternatives other than those offered.

The recent comments about caveat emptor were about just one particular phone-in victim from an affected area suggesting those affected should get compensation from the government for the inundation and the failure to provide protection. That seems a step too far!
Old 27th February 2020, 19:42   #38
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Good Grief! Yet another storm to track across the British Isles this weekend! Storm Jorge. https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/27/storm...inds-12314321/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 14:20   #39
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Same old story yet again. On BBC news online today the Competition & Markets Authority (there’s grand for you) is about to mount an investigation into property sales of new houses where buyers were allegedly mislead by developers. Or, at least, not given salient facts.

They never told them the new houses they were ‘buying’ were leasehold (not freehold) and the 10 year ground rent review clauses could result in the rent doubling. They are now unsalable.

So, when banking and money is the root it gets hackles raised a bit, especially where solicitors are concerned (they should have discussed it with their clients at contract stage). Suddenly, in the case of flooding, on previously designated flood plains, nothing poses a question?

Footnote: At the bottom of my road, about 30' lower than ours before you ask, there has been a development of about 20 detached houses built and sold. They all had a huge ‘ FOR SALE’ and then ‘SOLD’ sign on them but of course no outward mention that they were leased.

It’s just not good enough to say let the buyer beware. I was forbidden by law to sell pensions or mortgages or investments without full disclosure. I was in a senior management grade with over 20 years experience but every proposal I took had to be vetted and countersigned by H/O compliance staff.

Last edited by wraymond; 28th February 2020 at 14:22..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2020, 12:35   #40
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Wow, there are some very clever people around but if they put as much effort into doing things properly they would possibly achieve more in the long run.

In my own case there were surprising events followed by just deserts. I had over 25 years with a very major company and have long ago lost count of numbers of sales I made, must be in the thousands.

Fortunately, full records of all details of sales interviews were compulsory long before it became a legal requirement. They had to be signed by all who were present at the interview. 15 years after I retired, the company wrote to me to inform me a complaint had been received from a policyholder about miss-selling on one of my cases - the one and only complaint I ever received.

The records had been recovered and it was found that the chap I had been working with when he was a trainee who had also signed the financial review, a lengthy document, had been found to be involved in the start of the complaint.

He had in later years gone on to leave and join a small outfit of ‘advisors’. He had prompted the complaint in an effort to regain all premiums paid and had sold them a ‘pup’ and used the highly publicised compensation ruse to secure it.

He was charged and disciplined and my record stood. It was a worrying time, but thanks to efficient record keeping all turned out well and the complaint was rejected, along with an apology from my former employers.

There are hundreds of these leasehold new builds around and it’s hard to believe the gullibility of all buyers, I’m sure they cannot all be entirely innocent victims.