Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th August 2020, 13:05   #1
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts
Default F1 Belgium Grand Prix.....Spoiler Alerts

Lewis on Pole....Can he convert that in to a race win and will it rain ?
Old 30th August 2020, 13:13   #2
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Lights out.......Go Go Go
Old 30th August 2020, 20:27   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Heading towards being the best driver of all time.

Get on there Lewis.------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2020, 21:03   #4
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs down

Nah. Best team best car is not a test of the driver. It might bring money and fame (or maybe infamy as the case might be or not) but respect as a driver, a champion and a good ambassador for the sport? I am not convinced and will reserve judgement until he proves himself outwith the very best and maybe a different challenge like the Indy 500 - like Nigel did.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 00:44   #5
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

TBH, and not getting at anyone in particular, I’m a bit weary of all the ‘he’s got the best car’ comments. Yes, he does drive the best car, but so did Vettel at Red Bull, and MS at Ferrari (where the whole team was built around him!), so I suggest the following.......

Mercedes, in fact all constructors, employ the best drivers they can get, so it’s their belief he’s the best. (Think Red Bull and Ferrari!)

But for questionable tactics/personality clashes, he could have been WDC in his rookie year, matching a double champion in points IIRC, and was champion very soon thereafter

Valterri Bottas has exactly the same car, yet Hamilton’s margin over him is the biggest he’s had over any other teammate

Hamilton has been with Mercedes for many years now, he’s been involved in the development of the car.

Yes, I’d like to see him in other forms of racing in the future, like we did see him in his rise to F1 - so did he have the best car/Kart throughout his career, or is he just that good. I have to say I think the latter.

But a good ambassador for the sport? Do I like his lifestyle? The jury’s out.

Last edited by baxlin; 31st August 2020 at 00:50..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 11:27   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Nah. Best team best car is not a test of the driver. It might bring money and fame (or maybe infamy as the case might be or not) but respect as a driver, a champion and a good ambassador for the sport? I am not convinced and will reserve judgement until he proves himself outwith the very best and maybe a different challenge like the Indy 500 - like Nigel did.
You could say exactly that about every driver that gets to the top.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 12:24   #7
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

I wouldn't say that myself. At the level the cars are driven they will not be the same nor will the resources always be the same that are put into them. The number 1 driver in a team will always be given priority and the best of everything when push comes to shove. BTW, Ferrari was not the best team when MS arrived there back in the day, it was a basket case and this was acknowledged by other F1 drivers at the time. In fact MS went there from Benetton which was one of the best along with Williams. He was also active in improving safety within F1.

Outwith F1 MS has received numerous accolades and praise not least for his extensive charitable work to which he is known to have donated tens of millions. The jury is not out for me as to the qualities which make for a good ambassador be it for F1 or something totally unrelated like UNESCO.
Old 31st August 2020, 13:43   #8
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post

Outwith F1 MS has received numerous accolades and praise not least for his extensive charitable work to which he is known to have donated tens of millions. The jury is not out for me as to the qualities which make for a good ambassador be it for F1 or something totally unrelated like UNESCO.
I’m sorry, I don’t know either of them personally, hence my comment that the jury’s out.

If I recall correctly though, there was the occasion that someone’s teammate Rubens B was pushed dangerously close to the wall, and at least one other driver (was it Damon Hill?) was taken out ‘conveniently’, to the perpetrator’s considerable advantage.

For those with long memories....Graham Hill was an ambassador - he had ‘Embassy’ all over his car.

Re charitable giving, don’t forget the widow’s mite - some can afford to donate millions, and make it known.

Sorry, but there’ll never be a consensus on this, let alone complete agreement.

Last edited by baxlin; 31st August 2020 at 13:47..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 17:50   #9
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

"and at least one other driver (was it Damon Hill?) was taken out ‘conveniently’,"

He tried the same manouvre on Jaques Villeneuve in 97 but justice prevailed this time and he beached himself instead of taking out his opponant.

https://youtu.be/DSw9OtHfN1U?t=38

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 17:56   #10
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
I’m sorry, I don’t know either of them personally, hence my comment that the jury’s out.

If I recall correctly though, there was the occasion that someone’s teammate Rubens B was pushed dangerously close to the wall, and at least one other driver (was it Damon Hill?) was taken out ‘conveniently’, to the perpetrator’s considerable advantage.

For those with long memories....Graham Hill was an ambassador - he had ‘Embassy’ all over his car.

Re charitable giving, don’t forget the widow’s mite - some can afford to donate millions, and make it known.

Sorry, but there’ll never be a consensus on this, let alone complete agreement.
Not sure why you have quoted me given your previous statement of "not getting at anyone in particular".

I didn't want to upset anyone by posing the pertinent questions which are obvious to many. What has Hamilton done in F1 outside of his current drive to endear anyone to him? What has he done for F1? The business that F1 currently is and the dosh which is currently available to the teams and the drivers is due in no small way to Bernie E. You are correct if you feel that I will ever think that he is what Hamilton recently referred to him as being - uneducated? I don't think that MS ever trumpeted his charity work, nor was he ever an opportunist to jump on a bandwagon where the wheels have a tendency to fall off when subjected to basic historical scrutiny.